Is it stupid to decline a role?

What should I do?

• Take the offer now no matter what the job is! You may not get this opportunity again!

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • If it is not the position you want, reapply and hope for the best!

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

darby95

Earning My Ears
I am on my last semester in college and I applied for Spring 2018; however, part of me wants to wait until Fall 2018 now. I do not have an offer yet, but I have done my phone interview and waiting to hear back. I have a few personal reasons to want to postpone my CP until August, meaning I would apply in January (the last time I will ever be able to apply for the DCP). I have also decided I want to be a Vacation Planner more than anything. So, I am sort of telling myself that I will only accept my offer for Spring if I get VP (possibly Front Desk). If I do not get that role I am debating to decline then reapply in January. No matter what role I get then I will take it since it is my last chance. As I said, I have personal reasons to postpone, but do y'all think it is too much of a risk to decline and reapply? What are my chances of getting accepted again? Also, if anyone has experience with CPVP please let me know how I can beef up my resume and better my chances of getting selected for that role. Thank you! :)

Last edited:
Definitely take the job, no matter what role! There are hundreds of applicants that are eagerly willing to take your spot if you don't. You may never get the opportunity again! I personally wanted front desk as well though I couldn't answer the questions that my interviewer asked me and that was my downfall. I did told her I was open to any role they offer me, but it seemed like I was really aiming for front desk that was a huge mistake :(. I would of been happy with Custodial. The recruiters know what they are doing, they know more than we do. So I wouldn't get too cocky if you did not get the roles you wanted.

Definitely take the job, no matter what role! There are hundreds of applicants that are eagerly willing to take your spot if you don't. You may never get the opportunity again! I personally wanted front desk as well though I couldn't answer the questions that my interviewer asked me and that was my downfall. I did told her I was open to any role they offer me, but it seemed like I was really aiming for front desk that was a huge mistake :(. I would of been happy with Custodial. The recruiters know what they are doing, they know more than we do. So I wouldn't get too cocky if you did not get the roles you wanted.
When did you apply? Did you get accepted?

When did you apply? Did you get accepted?

I applied the day after applications drop, I did not get accepted unfortunately. It happened way too fast, I had my web based interview and received my phone interview request all the same day. I let it get to me, this was my first time applying by the way. I was rejected hours after my phone interview. I had my interview on August 27th. Though I'm not upset about it, I could see why they did. Sure, I was upset about it at the time, but as time goes on, I could see where I screwed up. I'm trying again next semester though.

I applied the day after applications drop, I did not get accepted unfortunately. It happened way too fast, I had my web based interview and received my phone interview request all the same day. I let it get to me, this was my first time applying by the way. I was rejected hours after my phone interview. I had my interview on August 27th. Though I'm not upset about it, I could see why they did. Sure, I was upset about it at the time, but as time goes on, I could see where I screwed up. I'm trying again next semester though.
Well I am glad you know what you need to fix next time and that you have another chance. Thanks for the feedback!

Well I am glad you know what you need to fix next time and that you have another chance. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks! I hope things work out for you as well! Sending pixie dusts! Remember what Walt Disney always say, If you can dream it, do it! :)

Well the answer is no.
But I am disabled and the job agencies wanted me to take mcdonalds anything. I really wanted to to be in high end venture. I 5 years later and 4 job agencies later got a high end venture I am not sure if it was worth all that hassle to be honest. I still have the job 4 years later. But geez sometimes I wish I just got a job sooner. I would just take the job and tell them you are really keen in working in that industry and take the oppertunities that can lead you to your dream job.

A close friend of mine is a DCP recruiter - and I know she reads all these boards and FB groups for these kinds of questions (Hey, L! See you in a couple of weeks!! :wave:) ... so, just passing this along:

The worst thing you can do to jeopardize your acceptance this time and even any consideration going forward is to demand a specific placement.

If you decline after acceptance and assignment, you can pretty much guarantee that you will not get considered again during the next application period.

DCP is a paid internship program - they try to fit you with something that might be what your career path is, but at the end of the day - you're an employee and they will slot you where business requires. If you want to take a specific path, the Professional Internship is the way to go to guarantee you get to do what you want to do.

I am on my last semester in college and I applied for Spring 2018; however, part of me wants to wait until Fall 2018 now. I do not have an offer yet, but I have done my phone interview and waiting to hear back. I have a few personal reasons to want to postpone my CP until August, meaning I would apply in January (the last time I will ever be able to apply for the DCP). I have also decided I want to be a Vacation Planner more than anything. So, I am sort of telling myself that I will only accept my offer for Spring if I get VP (possibly Front Desk). If I do not get that role I am debating to decline then reapply in January. No matter what role I get then I will take it since it is my last chance. As I said, I have personal reasons to postpone, but do y'all think it is too much of a risk to decline and reapply? What are my chances of getting accepted again? Also, if anyone has experience with DCVP please let me know how I can beef up my resume and better my chances of getting selected for that role. Thank you! :)
You can get better job by doing the internship but do you want to work for Disney?

Vacation Planning accepts significantly fewer CPs than most of the other roles. There are maybe 500-600 Vacation Planners property-wide including FT, PT, and CPs, and I'm estimating high on that number.

Like I said, I do have personal reasons. All I've ever wanted to do with my life is work for Disney. I have reasons that leaving home in August would be better for me than January. I was trying to talk myself out of it this time around by saying I'll only accept if I get a specific role. I have heard multiple times that declining doesn't hurt your chances but I wanted to make sure. The last thing I want to do is jeopardize my dream. Ever since my phone interview my home problems have increased and last night I've decided that I can't let them hold me back. Thank you all for your input. I really dream of a long-term career with Disney but I was just trying to scare myself out of doing it.

Like I said, I do have personal reasons. All I've ever wanted to do with my life is work for Disney. I have reasons that leaving home in August would be better for me than January. I was trying to talk myself out of it this time around by saying I'll only accept if I get a specific role. I have heard multiple times that declining doesn't hurt your chances but I wanted to make sure. The last thing I want to do is jeopardize my dream. Ever since my phone interview my home problems have increased and last night I've decided that I can't let them hold me back. Thank you all for your input. I really dream of a long-term career with Disney but I was just trying to scare myself out of doing it.
I know how you feel

If you decline after acceptance and assignment, you can pretty much guarantee that you will not get considered again during the next application period.

Are you sure this is true? I applied for the DCP back in '15, was accepted for attractions and declined the offer. I reapplied the next semester, was accepted again and finished a program in Fall '16. I know people who turned down as many as 2-3 offers and still got accepted and went on to complete an actual program soon after! I don't think turning down this offer will make you a no rehire or unfavorable rehire. You have the same chance of getting in if you back out now and reapply for January. If you accepted, went on the program and self-termed, THEN you would be out of the running for at least 6 months.

I WILL say that you're not guaranteed to get back in. If you're confident with your resume and interview skills and feel you can get into the program again, that's great! But it's also worth pointing out that things don't always go as planned...sometimes candidates (for whatever reason) never get moved past the Submission/Applied stage and don't get to take the WBI and PI. Other times, candidates get nervous during their PIs and ruin their chances. There are a lot of variables here and not all of them are in your hands, if you know what I mean. It's also worth keeping in mind that VP is an extremely selective role...A) You may not get it, even the second time around and B) If you decide to mark High Interest in VP and low interest in many other roles, that may lower your chances of getting accepted.

At the end of the day, if the DCP is something you REALLY want to do, maybe accept your role (whichever role you may get) and plan to extend as a VP. You do get the option to switch roles with an extension, and if you play your cards right and network, maybe you'll have more luck landing that role once you're in the company. That being said, if you want to be a VP and don't feel you would be happy in any of the other roles, maybe turning down this offer and hoping you get in again is a risk you'll be willing to take? Sorry I can't give a 100% clear answer, but it really does come down to your own priorities! Best of luck, though!

Are you sure this is true? I applied for the DCP back in '15, was accepted for attractions and declined the offer. I reapplied the next semester, was accepted again and finished a program in Fall '16. I know people who turned down as many as 2-3 offers and still got accepted and went on to complete an actual program soon after! I don't think turning down this offer will make you a no rehire or unfavorable rehire. You have the same chance of getting in if you back out now and reapply for January. If you accepted, went on the program and self-termed, THEN you would be out of the running for at least 6 months.

I WILL say that you're not guaranteed to get back in. If you're confident with your resume and interview skills and feel you can get into the program again, that's great! But it's also worth pointing out that things don't always go as planned...sometimes candidates (for whatever reason) never get moved past the Submission/Applied stage and don't get to take the WBI and PI. Other times, candidates get nervous during their PIs and ruin their chances. There are a lot of variables here and not all of them are in your hands, if you know what I mean. It's also worth keeping in mind that VP is an extremely selective role...A) You may not get it, even the second time around and B) If you decide to mark High Interest in VP and low interest in many other roles, that may lower your chances of getting accepted.

At the end of the day, if the DCP is something you REALLY want to do, maybe accept your role (whichever role you may get) and plan to extend as a VP. You do get the option to switch roles with an extension, and if you play your cards right and network, maybe you'll have more luck landing that role once you're in the company. That being said, if you want to be a VP and don't feel you would be happy in any of the other roles, maybe turning down this offer and hoping you get in again is a risk you'll be willing to take? Sorry I can't give a 100% clear answer, but it really does come down to your own priorities! Best of luck, though!
Great, helpful response! Thank you so much:) I'm pretty sure I'll accept whatever I get. I don't want to risk it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!