Is it the same???

dcsend

Earning My Ears
sorry in advance for the long post, but i want to give you some "background"...
kids, ages 16, 18, 21, 24 will be together for the first time in 9 months (2 of them work out west; 1 in india). the 18 yo is my only daughter. for christmas we're taking them to florida for 4 days for some family time and R & R... we're from NY and haven't been to disney in 11 years. how can we go to Fl and not go to Disney for a day? thing is...i (the mom) just want to go for the "magic", see the gardens, hear the music, etc. Kids aren't really into amusement parks, and their "doers"...they like to do "stuff" - not a lot of walking, no museums, and they don't sit well (2 are big game hunting guides out west). and one hates crowds. YET, they'd be willing to go to a park for a day - just to be together (and for mom). 2 want MK for the nostalgia. 1 is interested in Pandora. Here's my questions:
1. someone mentioned that i should just tour the resorts where i can still get the "magic" of disney and see the decorations...that i can probably do without the kids. Or should we do a park?
non travel days are Dec. 12 - 14, 2017. we're staying off disney and have a rental car.

THANKS in advance for your thoughts!!

sorry in advance for the long post, but i want to give you some "background"...
kids, ages 16, 18, 21, 24 will be together for the first time in 9 months (2 of them work out west; 1 in india). the 18 yo is my only daughter. for christmas we're taking them to florida for 4 days for some family time and R & R... we're from NY and haven't been to disney in 11 years. how can we go to Fl and not go to Disney for a day? thing is...i (the mom) just want to go for the "magic", see the gardens, hear the music, etc. Kids aren't really into amusement parks, and their "doers"...they like to do "stuff" - not a lot of walking, no museums, and they don't sit well (2 are big game hunting guides out west). and one hates crowds. YET, they'd be willing to go to a park for a day - just to be together (and for mom). 2 want MK for the nostalgia. 1 is interested in Pandora. Here's my questions:
1. someone mentioned that i should just tour the resorts where i can still get the "magic" of disney and see the decorations...that i can probably do without the kids. Or should we do a park?
non travel days are Dec. 12 - 14, 2017. we're staying off disney and have a rental car.

THANKS in advance for your thoughts!!
Just tour the resorts.

I could visit and miss the parks on a brief trip. But not if I hadn't been in 11 years. What about attending MVMCP one night you are there? Lines for rides tend to be shorter during the party. And I bet you would all enjoy watching the parade together (2nd parade in Frontierland tends to be less crowded).

hmmmm...very interesting. so we'd go for the evening, 7 - midnight for $95 each...then ride rides while the parade is happening...would we miss much or anything by not going during the day???

great thought. THANK YOU

hmmmm...very interesting. so we'd go for the evening, 7 - midnight for $95 each...then ride rides while the parade is happening...would we miss much or anything by not going during the day???

great thought. THANK YOU

They let you in at 4 with a party ticket, so if there are rides not open during the party (there used to be a few, but not many) you can do those then.

I think it would be perfect for what you have in mind.

They let you in at 4 with a party ticket, so if there are rides not open during the party (there used to be a few, but not many) you can do those then.

I think it would be perfect for what you have in mind.

I agree that this is a great idea for your family. As mom2rtk said, you can enter at 4 pm, so you have 4 pm - 12 pm to enjoy MK in all its holiday glory. No, you don't miss anything by not going during the day. In fact you, typically, gain smaller crowds, shorter ride lines, free holiday snacks plus a special Christmas parade and fireworks. Plus, the tickets will be slightly cheaper than purchasing a regular day ticket. If you'd like to tour the monorail resorts as well (I HIGHLY recommend checking out the GF lobby), you could simply park at TTC around 2 pm, ride the resort monorail loop to see Poly, GF and CR and just walk over to MK from CR when you are done. If you want to add in WL and Ft. W to your resort tour, I would probably start at 1 pm instead, monorail to MK, take the boat to WL and Ft. W, boat to CR, then do the monorail loop from there to end at MK in time to enter at 4 pm for the party.

I absolutely agree with previous replies, about mvmcp and touring monorail resorts in the afternoon. The only thing I might add, would be breakfast at Boma. It’s an amazing buffet breakfast at Animal Kingdom Lodge. The Lodge itself is gorgeous! You can explore the lobby and animal viewing areas.... kind of a little extra touch without doing a park. Then head to the ttc, to head over to the monorail resorts!

This is me personally:

If I go to Orlando--it's because of WDW and Universal

If I go to FL but not Orlando it's usually a beach vacation

===========================================

MVMCP seems like a good compromise though the one who wants to see Pandora would be out of luck. Looks like the 2 dates you would have to choose from are December 12th and December 14th. Here's Disney's official page for the party :https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/magic-kingdom/mickeys-very-merry-christmas-party/

Keep in mind crowds. I don't say that in a bad way just saying since it's been 11 years for you guys. What it was like back then will unlikely be like what it is now. Party days do help as the park closes the rides down for Day guests at 6pm for MVMCP (new this year) but they will be able to shop and dine a bit at least around Main Street and the Hub until 7pm when the party actually starts so there is a bit of an overlap.

Touring the monorail resorts is relatively easy. We did it back in September and it was a great way to see some resorts. Just be aware that you will pass through security at the resorts before being allowed to board the monorail again-at least if they keep the same procedure they have been using. If you walk over to MK from the Contemporary I believe they have security set up on the walkway between MK and CR. The only people who are put through security actually at MK now are ones who arrive by bus. Those who arrive by monorail or ferry are screened at the TTC.

the parks are very different from your last visit. I am still very confused what your kids want to do?

the parks are very different from your last visit. I am still very confused what your kids want to do?
LOL. That's the thing. The kids aren't familiar enuf with Disney to know what they want to do... It's their crazy mom who wants to go...and not even to ride the rides. Just experience the "Most Wonderful Place on Earth" - the music, scenery, etc. They're just tagging along to be with me. And a couple don't remember from when we went 11 yrs ago, so they want to do Peter Pan, Pirates...otherwise, they're just walking around...I offered to go by myself and they do something else, but they're saying they want to go...yet they don't know why. The one saw youtube clips of pandora, but we're not doing a Hopper. So I really have to research the park. My dilemma is that I want to make sure they're happy and not "bored"...They're not really amusement park kids, either.

I really should just go by myself so I can sit on a bench and soak it all in!!

sorry for the confusion :/

I feel there are so many more ride options at MK. And if you don't score a fastpass for FOP at animal kingdom , the wait is hours.

I would do MK for sure. The party sounds like a lot of fun and is a good option as well. In my opinion there's a lot more to see / do At MK

Seeing the castle lit up at night with all the icicle lights is the most magical part for me, so I agree you should go for the party and see that. I believe if you link your ticket in MDE you can make FP for the day - at least 2 between 4 and 6 or 7 - not sure if end time changed this year. That way you could get at least two rides in with shorter lines if you like before party. This would be good for PP and Pirates. Jingle Cruise would be fun, especially for your big game guides - if you recall Jungle Cruise, it is same ride with animatronic wild animals, done up for Christmas with corny holiday jokes! You can also great a great group pic at one of the photopass spots on Main Street with the castle or Christmas tree - you can also ask them to take one with your camera/phone. You could also do this at the Resorts - Wilderness and AKL have great trees.

Definitely check out the Grand Floridian to see the giant gingerbread house which is amazing, and you can buy some to taste as well. As PP mentioned, WL and AKL are beautiful. Check out the MVMCP thread for more info. on party schedule and events. Enjoy - it's our favorite time of year to be there!:santa:

what do you kids like. You mentioned doing 'things' but what do they like doing?

You could always do a guided tour

Whatever you do, with that short amount of time, I don't think touring the resorts is worth it. There's not that much to see at them. For a long trip, sure. I think the party tickets are a great idea

Seeing the castle lit up at night with all the icicle lights is the most magical part for me, so I agree you should go for the party and see that. I believe if you link your ticket in MDE you can make FP for the day - at least 2 between 4 and 6 or 7 - not sure if end time changed this year. That way you could get at least two rides in with shorter lines if you like before party. This would be good for PP and Pirates. Jingle Cruise would be fun, especially for your big game guides - if you recall Jungle Cruise, it is same ride with animatronic wild animals, done up for Christmas with corny holiday jokes! You can also great a great group pic at one of the photopass spots on Main Street with the castle or Christmas tree - you can also ask them to take one with your camera/phone. You could also do this at the Resorts - Wilderness and AKL have great trees.

Definitely check out the Grand Floridian to see the giant gingerbread house which is amazing, and you can buy some to taste as well. As PP mentioned, WL and AKL are beautiful. Check out the MVMCP thread for more info. on party schedule and events. Enjoy - it's our favorite time of year to be there!:santa:
Great thoughts!! Just real quick...what is MDE (to link our ticket for the FPs)? And, I don't think we did Jungle Cruise, so that may be fun...and what is AKL? And so the park isn't crazy crowded during the party?? Or is it that we'll be riding rides and doing other things while the guests are watching the shows - that this is a better option (plus we see the resorts)...is that right?
I'm getting so confused :/ thanks for walking me through this!

Great thoughts!! Just real quick...what is MDE (to link our ticket for the FPs)? And, I don't think we did Jungle Cruise, so that may be fun...and what is AKL? And so the park isn't crazy crowded during the party?? Or is it that we'll be riding rides and doing other things while the guests are watching the shows - that this is a better option (plus we see the resorts)...is that right?
I'm getting so confused :/ thanks for walking me through this!

MDE is My Disney Experience - it is now an account you set up online through the Disney site, where all your info is stored and where you can make your dining reservations and fast passes ahead of time. You download the app onto your phone to use in the park, to see any plans you have made, and check wait times, character locations, etc. If you were staying onsite it would also include the hotel reservation you had made. Do you have a regular Disney account online? If so, you would login under that on the Disneyworld site, and then you would see the My Disney Experience pull down menu on the right side. If not, you would of course have to make one first. If you buy MVMCP tickets, they can be linked there, and everyone's names listed under Friends and Family, and then you would be eligible to make FP for that day - you would choose the date and park(MK), and then pick the rides you wanted that are available at the times you can make FP. Hope that makes sense! If not, feel free to ask more questions! You would want to try and make those as soon as you have tickets, since onsite people could make them at 60 days out, and offsite at 30 days. AKL is Animal Kingdom Lodge, where a PP mentioned starting with Boma brft. if you wanted to start resort tour there, and check out animals as well. You would tour any resorts before entering party, during the day. If you don't want to go to AKL, you could just tour resorts adjacent to MK, by parking at TTC, and then riding the resort monorail to visit Poly, GF, and/or Contemporary, and could take the boat over to WL. Good places to eat at each of those, both Table Service and Quick Service, if you want to have lunch along the way, so once you know what you want to do, we can help you with those if you want!

The park is technically less crowded during the party since only a certain number of tickets are sold for each night, and other patrons have to stop rides at 6, and leave by 7, so when you arrive(usually start letting in around 3:45, so be there by 3:15 to get through security/get in line) there will still be a full park. So you should be able to schedule FP from say 3:30-4:30 and 4:30 to 5:30, to be in shorter lines. During the party, some people get in lines for more rare characters that are out, like 7 Dwarfs, Moana, Jack Skellington(Sandy Claws), and will get spots ahead for parade and fireworks, while others try to ride more rides. Seems like 7 Dwarfs Mine Train ride( most popular new ride) and Peter Pan still tend to have longer lines, but others generally are very reasonable. Most advise going to second parade, supposed to be less crowded, and can ride things during 1st parade. Check out this thread for info. on the party, and what events happen at which times, so you could plan any you might like to see, like parade or fireworks: https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...tmas-party-2017-believe-in-the-magic.3587769/

Let us know what other questions we can help you answer!:earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter