Is it time to change "Black Friday?"

disneychrista

DIS Veteran
Since most of the Major retailers open TODAY for "Black Friday" is it time to change it to "Thanksgiving Sales" or something other than Black Friday?

Maybe it'll become its own season just like Christmas. Then we'll hear people saying things like, "I saw a Black Friday commercial yesterday -- Can you believe it? It's only June!"

Maybe it'll become its own season just like Christmas. Then we'll hear people saying things like, "I saw a Black Friday commercial yesterday -- Can you believe it? It's only June!"

I think that's what many retailers are treating it like now. I saw "Black Friday deals" somewhere early in November which were barely typical sale prices. To me, Black Friday will live on as a memory of overnight lines, store giveaways, and very good discounts. Maybe one day it will be back :)

I think that's what many retailers are treating it like now. I saw "Black Friday deals" somewhere early in November which were barely typical sale prices. To me, Black Friday will live on as a memory of overnight lines, store giveaways, and very good discounts. Maybe one day it will be back :)
I agree. I see very few good sales which makes it hardly worth the trouble. Part of the fun was the thrill of the chase but there's not much to chase now.

They should just call it it "Black November" and run the sales for the whole month and forget this one day nonsense. Then they could be closed on the actual holidays. And people wouldn't act like animals in the store.
I like the way you think.

I agree. I see very few good sales which makes it hardly worth the trouble. Part of the fun was the thrill of the chase but there's not much to chase now.

Just a distant memory now. I remember a door buster of couple of watches for $200 each that retailed for $900 each. A typical jewelry store might discount down to $500 each, so it was obviously a great deal.

My first time with my wife there was one cosmetics store was selling all sorts of stuff just for Black Friday. That included promotional samples (not free but much cheaper than regular items) and other deals that they were just for that day. Then there was something like a 45% discount just 6 hours that went down to 40%, and then 35% for the remainder of the weekend.

I won’t even bother now.

What feels really odd to me is that in just the part 3-4 years Germany and France have picked up on "black Friday" sales. Seeing black Friday sales running all week and no mention of Thanksgiving is so weird.
I guess that means it is taking on a more "seasonal" thing, even globally

Blame your state or local government. If retailers couldn't legally be open on Thanksgiving, they wouldn't be.
Or blame the people who lobbied your state and local government to change the laws so they COULD be open on the holiday.
Sort of like Blue laws, mostly gone.

No, still blame the lawmakers.

No. They don't need that kind of control. And it isn't their fault.

I no more want the lawmakers telling the stores they have to be closed on thanksgiving then I want them telling stores to be closed every Sunday. And honestly, I don't blame anyone. I like that stores are open on Thanksgiving, and guess what? I work retail and I already put in a 9 hour day.

Blame your state or local government. If retailers couldn't legally be open on Thanksgiving, they wouldn't be.
Yes the government COULD change the laws to disallow this but they won't.

If they didn't have LINES of people waiting to get in their doors to shop on Thanksgiving they wouldn't be open.

It wasn't too long ago that not even the grocery store was open on the holidays. Now, it seems every store is open and doing brisk business - Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc. No law required.

No. They don't need that kind of control. And it isn't their fault.
Yeah, it is. I'm in Massachusetts. Only pharmacies and convenience stores are open around here today. Wa!Matt opens at 1 am tonight. Not sure of exact times for other stores, but none before 12:01 AM on November 24.
If they didn't have LINES of people waiting to get in their doors to shop on Thanksgiving they wouldn't be open.
Chicken/egg, cause/effect...If they wouldn't open on Thanksgiving they wouldn't have LINES of people waiting to get into stores on Thanksgiving.

Yeah, it is. I'm in Massachusetts. Only pharmacies and convenience stores are open around here today. Wa!Matt opens at 1 am tonight. Not sure of exact times for other stores, but none before 12:01 AM on November 24.

Chicken/egg, cause/effect...If they wouldn't open on Thanksgiving they wouldn't have LINES of people waiting to get into stores on Thanksgiving.

The stores see a need/want, and they fill it. This is all fairly recent. If people didn't show they wanted to shop on Thanksgiving more and more stores wouldn't have opened up as well. It is not a chicken or egg thing at all. But I'm not offended by people shopping on Thanksgiving. To me it is not a huge deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!