Is it time to change "Black Friday?"

So then you're saying legislators should never have legalized holiday/Sunday retail hours in the first place.

Wikipedia: "Blue laws may also prohibit retail activity on days other than Sunday. In Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Maine(which was previously part of Massachusetts),[24] for example, blue laws prohibit most retail stores, including grocery stores, from opening on Thanksgiving and Christmas.[25]"

Not new. Possibly centuries old, given that Maine has been its own state since 1820.

No they are just having to correct a mistake that store hours were regulated in the first place.

So, because you (your family) have (has) trouble entertaining yourself (yourselves), other people should have to give up time with their families entertain you? I know you didn't mean it quite like that, but something about your post just rubs me the wrong way.

Yes, I know that the argument is always that families can schedule their meal around someone's schedule, but what happens when more than one family member has to work on Thanksgiving and their schedules are opposite one another? And there's always the argument that, well, some people truly have to work (police, medical staff, etc.), so what's the problem with other people working? My answer is that there is a difference between needs and wants. People need EMTs to respond to a medical emergency, they want to go to the movies. To be fair, I'm not saying that I've never taken advantage of non-essential places being open on a holiday once in a while, but I feel guilty and would actually be content if they were closed.
Do you watch the Macy's parade? Football? Local news? None of those qualify as "needs" but all require lots of people to work so you can sit on your couch and watch.

I also thought we had made it a year without this argument. Yes, people will survive if stores aren't open Thanksgiving Day. People will also survive if they (or family members) have to work. Don't want to work a holiday? Find a job that doesn't require it. And don't spout "jobs are hard to find".

Do you watch the Macy's parade? Football? Local news? None of those qualify as "needs" but all require lots of people to work so you can sit on your couch and watch.

I also thought we had made it a year without this argument. Yes, people will survive if stores aren't open Thanksgiving Day. People will also survive if they (or family members) have to work. Don't want to work a holiday? Find a job that doesn't require it. And don't spout "jobs are hard to find".
Actually I don't watch TV on Thanksgiving. So no football, parade or news.

I also don't shop.

But if we want the government out of business of forcing businesses to close on Sunday and holidays. Lets get them out of the business of forcing businesses to pay employees a certain amount. Keep the blue laws away and do away with minimum wage requirements.

My husband was at a department store yesterday and he said there was a majority of people from other countries. Indians, Muslims etc .....shopping up a storm. I would imagine (And could be wrong) that a good portion of them do not celebrate Thanksgiving. So with our country becoming more diverse, we might just see the way holidays being celebrated change.

So, because you (your family) have (has) trouble entertaining yourself (yourselves), other people should have to give up time with their families entertain you? I know you didn't mean it quite like that, but something about your post just rubs me the wrong way.

Yes, I know that the argument is always that families can schedule their meal around someone's schedule, but what happens when more than one family member has to work on Thanksgiving and their schedules are opposite one another? And there's always the argument that, well, some people truly have to work (police, medical staff, etc.), so what's the problem with other people working? My answer is that there is a difference between needs and wants. People need EMTs to respond to a medical emergency, they want to go to the movies. To be fair, I'm not saying that I've never taken advantage of non-essential places being open on a holiday once in a while, but I feel guilty and would actually be content if they were closed.

We are a diverse population and not everyone celebrates or values those holidays so it makes sense that some businesses want to fill that void. I'm one of those people who appreciate having something else to do. Not everyone has a family to celebrate with and appreciates other choices. Sorry if it rubs you wrong. I don't mean to be offensive, certainly; I just appreciate options. Holidays flat don't mean too much to some people, so should we, as a society, only observe these in the way that fits one group, or should we let the market decide? I hope it's not "political" to say that I'm a capitalist, and if an establishment wants to take advantage of an opportunity, they can go for it. And, it's ok for me to enjoy the available opportunity. I shopped twice yesterday and hit a bar; I had a ball with my family, I had a ball with my mom shopping and drinking, and it was a lovely time. My Uber drivers were getting great tips and were very thankful for the large numbers of rides they were getting last night and Wednesday for whatever that's worth, and they all decide when and if they want to drive.

.....I stay away from all retailers and malls from Thanksgiving till Cyber Monday. PERIOD.

FWIW, I got one of the Best Buy Black Friday deals online at 9 a.m. yesterday (Thanksgiving) morning. With free shipping. Yes, I have to wait for it now, but that's okay. I've never been shopping on the holiday or Black Friday and I doubt I ever will.

I just saw a report from the police department in the next town over. Apparently the Walmart Black Friday deals weren't good enough for people, as "numerous flat screen TVs grew legs and walked out the door" (their words).

You realize if something had to be legalized then legislators first had to make it illegal.
200+ years ago. Possibly even predating the Constitution
But if we want the government out of business of forcing businesses to close on Sunday and holidays. Lets get them out of the business of forcing businesses to pay employees a certain amount. Keep the blue laws away and do away with minimum wage requirements.
A) Not close to equivalent.
B) Blue and other laws regarding operating hours affect residents of states where such laws exist.
C) I believe most, if not all, posters criticizing such laws are not affected by these laws.
D) Being able to stay in one single location the entire 24 hours of a holiday and not interacting at all in absolutely any way with any non-emergency working person at all is admirable. And envy generating.

I just saw a report from the police department in the next town over. Apparently the Walmart Black Friday deals weren't good enough for people, as "numerous flat screen TVs grew legs and walked out the door" (their words).

How in the world does that happen? I've never been to a Walmart on Black Friday, but at Target, the police officers review your receipt before you can leave.

I was first in line a few years ago at Christmas Tree Shoppes BF morning. As others joined the line, we conversed. One woman had already been to Wal-Mart and said it was so crazy, they were told by an employee just to take the tv they were buying.

So then you're saying legislators should never have legalized holiday/Sunday retail hours in the first place.

Wikipedia: "Blue laws may also prohibit retail activity on days other than Sunday. In Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Maine(which was previously part of Massachusetts),[24] for example, blue laws prohibit most retail stores, including grocery stores, from opening on Thanksgiving and Christmas.[25]"

Not new. Possibly centuries old, given that Maine has been its own state since 1820.

You know that is not what I said. Honestly, I detest the blue laws as well.

Actually I don't watch TV on Thanksgiving. So no football, parade or news.
Christmas? New Years? Fourth of July? Labor Day? Memorial Day?

If you're going to use that argument, lets get rid of overtime laws, working children laws, and everything else.

The bottom line is people have choice of where and when they shop. If no one wanted to shop (or travel) on holidays, then the stores wouldn't be open. Seems pretty simple to me.

How in the world does that happen? I've never been to a Walmart on Black Friday, but at Target, the police officers review your receipt before you can leave.

Based on the rest of the report, I'm assuming that the police officers that were there were dealing with the "several assaults and motor vehicle accidents in the parking lot"...

I was first in line a few years ago at Christmas Tree Shoppes BF morning. As others joined the line, we conversed. One woman had already been to Wal-Mart and said it was so crazy, they were told by an employee just to take the tv they were buying.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have covered more than my share of Black Friday's, I have yet to participate. But it is clearly either an addiction or a religious experience for some. Or a way to make money, as some are now earning extra holiday money by waiting in line and selling their spot to people who don't want to wait in line.

I will begin my Christmas shopping 2 weeks before Christmas, when many stores have started their Christmas clearance sales. I will start with my local merchants. Only if they do not have what I want will I go online. (And yes, way too many national chains now keep very little in stock anymore, and refer you to their website). With my DD's Amazon Prime anything I do buy online will be here in a day or two.

I have to wonder, and this is an honest question not meant to sound snarky, but for everyone opposed to stores opening on Thanksgiving, how do you feel about Disney World that operates full scale Thanksgiving and Christmas? And I'm not sure what Disney Springs does on the major holidays but there too if they are open?

My mother in law works at a major retailer. Even back when they were completely closed on Thanksgiving, she and most other employees there had to work on Thanksgiving in preparation for Friday. Having a lot of seniority she was one of the first to be able to pick her shift but had to put in at least four hours. They were never off on Thanksgiving regardless of when the Black Friday sales started. I won't go into my husbands holiday work schedule as its not retail so not very relevant, other to say that in our family we've long dealt with work hours on turkey day and have survived, though it may not always be ideal.

ITT...a lot of people who clearly didn't bother to read past the first line of my post.
I read your entire post. I quoted you. I asked you a question you haven't answered... do you watch TV during a holiday? Since we're talking Thanksgiving, Macy's Parade, NFL games, local news, etc. People worked on Thanksgiving to set up for Friday's games. Are the ball games and parades "needs" or "wants"? Someone else asked whether Disney should close for Holidays. After all, if there are guests, CMs need to work. You can't convince me Disney is a "need". These have all being requiring people to work for DECADES. Why is it such a big deal now? Oh, because others (via themselves, family, or friends) are now affected.

Growing up in the suburbs of Chicago. Black Friday was for me the official start of the Christmas Season.. As most had that day off, we would take the train downtown and go "shopping".. Get dressed up and see the lights and go to fancy stores. I wasnt about getting the best deal or fighting for stuff. but more a leisure day in the City, lunch.. good times

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter