Is it worth it to visit Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure in one day?

disfam15

Earning My Ears
Hi,
I apologize if this question has already been asked.
Next April my family (with two boys 7 and 4) will be vacationing at Disney World. My 6 year old (will be 7 at the time of the trip) is extremely interested in visiting Universal and of course the Harry Potter attractions look amazing!
Is it realistic to visit both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure in one day? We will mostly likely purchase the express pass as well. I know it is a lot to squeeze into one day but I want to have enough time to enjoy Disney too.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

If it’s all you’ve got, yes. If you can include a second day, that’s better.

(Our first trip to Uni was 2 full and 2 partial days, so that’s where I’m coming from)

It's always a good idea to go to Universal! If you have only one day and get EP, you can see a lot. Just figure out your must-dos and anything else you do is a bonus! Don't feel bad about not "doing it all". You can always go back another time! And as your boys get older, you may want to spend more time at the Universal parks!

You can definitely enjoy the HP areas in each park in one day. Google the height restrictions for each ride so you know what your little one can go on. You can walk through the Hogwarts castle and take it all in without having to ride. The shops are great. Have lunch at the Three Broomsticks in IOA or the Leaky Cauldron at US. They are very nicely themed and you can check out the menus online to see if there's food your kids will eat. A warning, though, they will want the interactive wands once they see other kids doing the spells, so you might want to set aside money for the cost of those, about $50 each. I'm almost 59, and I pack my wand for every trip, so there's that. I found that the older my daughter got, the more she gravitated towards Universal because of the types of coasters, etc. I think with the age of your kids and only one day, sticking to the HP areas would be best if that's what they want to see. There are definitely other areas for younger kids, like the Dr. Seuss area, E.T., and Jurassic, but you don't want to be traipsing around in the heat, trying to see everything when you only have a day there. As I used to say about Disney, "Universal ain't goin' nowhere" so you can enjoy your day at UO, and plan for your next visit in the future. Hope this helps.

Hi,
I apologize if this question has already been asked.
Next April my family (with two boys 7 and 4) will be vacationing at Disney World. My 6 year old (will be 7 at the time of the trip) is extremely interested in visiting Universal and of course the Harry Potter attractions look amazing!
Is it realistic to visit both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure in one day? We will mostly likely purchase the express pass as well. I know it is a lot to squeeze into one day but I want to have enough time to enjoy Disney too.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Most folks on here would always recommend EP if you only have one day. So you’re already off to a good start planning to get that.

Check out the park maps and have a look at the things that your family would enjoy doing the most......you can probably dismiss some of the things you’re not interested in and then plan your days around what you do want to do.

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/plan-your-visit/resort-maps/index.html

Also have a look at counter service options in both parks. I’d guess you don’t want to take the time for a proper sit done meal......you have plenty of options in both parks.

You’ll have the park to park pass so you’ll be able to use the Hogwarts Express if you desire to take you from one park to the other.

Also consider choosing one park and focus on that park rather than rush around doing both. Keep visiting both parks till the kids are older, they will want to come back.......:thumbsup2

I would echo those that suggested Express Pass. You can get through a decent chunk of both parks with EP in one day. April is a busy time of year, so I think EP is critical. One other suggestion is to rent or bring a double stroller with you. Even though the 7-year old could probably do fine without it, keeping them from getting tired will help maximize the day at Universal.

One last thing. We were there in April this year and were surprised at how early the parks closed on certain days. So, just be wary of that. It's a LOT earlier than Disney World.

Everything that was posted, I agree...

You would think we are all related since we have the same advice........

Major thing is pre plan and study the park maps on line.
If you know what and where to go in the park, you save time from wandering.

Read up on the boards and www.uninversalorlando.com site for more details of rides, shows, entertainment, food, etc.

My first thing I check for in a new park for me is, restroom and first aid locations.

op, if you are going during school break or a holiday time in April, parks will have crowds

The EP costs more during peak times, I think? Our first trip to Universal back in 2002 was one day during a Disney trip. This was before Harry Potter stuff, but we chose to just do IOA. If you decide the park to park tickets and EP are too expensive, there is a lot to see and do there - superhero meet & greets, water rides, fun stuff for kids in Jurassic park area, Hogsmeade area with 2 rides, talking fountain in Lost Continent, Seuss area and playground.

We enjoyed it so much we spent 3 nights at Universal the next Florida trip!

The EP costs more during peak times, I think? Our first trip to Universal back in 2002 was one day during a Disney trip. This was before Harry Potter stuff, but we chose to just do IOA. If you decide the park to park tickets and EP are too expensive, there is a lot to see and do there - superhero meet & greets, water rides, fun stuff for kids in Jurassic park area, Hogsmeade area with 2 rides, talking fountain in Lost Continent, Seuss area and playground.

Yep- EP prices vary by day and season. I agree- there are so many things to do even if you only do a few rides!! One of my boys favorite things when they were young was to go to the area where the Jurassic Park ride goes down the big drop! There's a big "splash zone" there! They enjoyed staying there and getting splashed (drenched!) as much as the ride itself! Sometimes the simplest things create the happiest memories!

If your child like HP, then doing the two-park ticket is a must. My kids loved the Hogwarts express, and it's actually a different ride (different story lines) each way, so I'd recommend riding it in both directions.

Universal is so much smaller than Disney that you can probably do most of your must-do attractions in one day with the EP.

Hi,
Thank you so much! I think the two park option will be a must so we can take the train to Hogwarts. I have a feeling we will be visiting again for a longer time in future trips:)
Thanks!

I would echo those that suggested Express Pass. You can get through a decent chunk of both parks with EP in one day. April is a busy time of year, so I think EP is critical. One other suggestion is to rent or bring a double stroller with you. Even though the 7-year old could probably do fine without it, keeping them from getting tired will help maximize the day at Universal.

One last thing. We were there in April this year and were surprised at how early the parks closed on certain days. So, just be wary of that. It's a LOT earlier than Disney World.

Thank you so much! It is good to know that the park could close early. My plan is to get there at opening (start at Universal Studios) then make our way through to Islands of Adventure. It seemed like it would be possible to get through both parks in one day but we will skip a few things (and probably be exhausted). It is so helpful to hear from everyone that has been there:)

If your child like HP, then doing the two-park ticket is a must. My kids loved the Hogwarts express, and it's actually a different ride (different story lines) each way, so I'd recommend riding it in both directions.

Universal is so much smaller than Disney that you can probably do most of your must-do attractions in one day with the EP.

I didn't realize Hogwarts Express had different story lines each way! Good to know:)
Thanks!

Thank you so much! It is good to know that the park could close early. My plan is to get there at opening (start at Universal Studios) then make our way through to Islands of Adventure. It seemed like it would be possible to get through both parks in one day but we will skip a few things (and probably be exhausted). It is so helpful to hear from everyone that has been there:)

We showed up the first time and one of the parks closed at 7pm, the other at 8 IIRC. This was the Friday of our spring break week in April. To say we were surprised would have been an understatement. Happy to answer any other questions!

If you only have a day, then yes, it's still worth it. If at all possible, it is better to have more time. Also note child swap is awesome. I'm guessing your 4 year old is not 48" so you would all go through the line together at Forbidden Journey. Then one adult and the older child can go ride it while the other goes to the child swap room. Then that adult and the older child can ride it in the swap - letting the older child ride twice. The wait for the second group from child swap is very fast - faster than express.

I took some friends to Universal on July 3rd last year. They had never been. I planned it all out and we got so much done. We did have a combo of disability pass and express. (There were 9 in our group so one wouldn't have been enough). We did not get time for the play areas. (Nor monster make-up show which I really wanted to take them to). And in some places, I gave them options. (Like at Hulk, Dr. Doom, and Storm Force - I told them to pick just one ride of the three and then we met back up). We were there from opening to close. There was one member of the family who wished he had more time for the HP areas - and we only were able to take the train one way due to time as well. They were a family of 6 so I tried to meet the needs of all and did a pretty good job. Before they went, I had them write a list of things that were high priority. The mother turned that list into me and then I worked out a plan. I'm still amazed at how much we were able to get done - especially since we weren't able to rush given our group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter