Is Monsters After Dark a scarier or gentler ride?

ExcitedMama

DIS Veteran
Is there just one version or multiple options? Any chance it’s a gentler ride? Or is it scarier? I’ve never done GOTG or ToT. DD was interested in trying it last trip but worried about the drops. Would After Dark be a better or worse idea? If it’s a gentler ride could you give me an idea of the drops and duration?

It is scarier. Daytime has cheerful songs, etc. I wouldn’t recommend doing monsters after dark in hopes of it being less scary. It is fun though!

Is there just one version or multiple options? Any chance it’s a gentler ride? Or is it scarier? I’ve never done GOTG or ToT. DD was interested in trying it last trip but worried about the drops. Would After Dark be a better or worse idea? If it’s a gentler ride could you give me an idea of the drops and duration?
There are A LOT of drops in GOTG. Many more than ToT. I took my DD5 on opening weekend, thinking the drops would be the same as ToT. I don't like dropping rides, but I thought we'd both enjoy the theming enough to give it a go. Needless to say, we were both terrified, praying for it to end, and my mama heart was full of guilt for my poor screaming baby girl! I'd recommend watching some youtube videos before trying it.

Well, if she doesn't like drops, it's going to be scary for sure. There's nothing gentle about the ride. I think it's fun, but it took me several times riding it as ToT to be okay with it.

I find it more fun and light-hearted as GotG, and haven't been on the MAD version. I love the music of the regular GotG! But I don't think many kids would care as much about the specific music. I think it's nicer than ToT, as well--they aren't trying to make it spooky, just fun.

Ride is may be 2 minutes long.

In terms of drops and physical intensity, I haven't counted the drops or anything, but I think MAD is basically the same as GOTG.

In terms of theme/music/story, MAD is more intense because it's Halloween themed but it's still pretty lighthearted in my opinion. It's not like a horror movie with jump scares and gore or anything, it's just fast paced metal music (as opposed to classic rock) and the story involves monsters.

I haven't been on MAD yet, but I did notice the difference in GotG vs ToT. Then someone explained it to me:

Tower of Terror in Disney World had randomized drop sequences for years. You never know what you are going to get. Tower of Terror in DCA never had the randomized drop sequences. However, the Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout change introduced the randomized drop sequences into the attraction.

I think the two are very similar in intensity. Lots of fun. No "horror" scares really just thrilling. My kids like Guardians. Ghost Mountain was not a favorite even though Space is enjoyed .

I also think both versions are roughly the same in terms of intensity. I didn't think MAD was too scary; maybe because Baby Groot is in the storyline.

Oh @figment_jii you had to go and mention baby Groot! @Jperiod had me firmly against it with that line about mama guilt for her screaming baby, which is why I talked DD out of it last trip! But she loves baby Groot. Is the ride really only 2 minutes? Maybe I can suck up my fear of it for 2 minutes to keep DD company on it. She really wants to do the rides she hasn’t done yet but she keeps hating the thrill rides. I want to encourage her courage in going on but since she keeps hating them I’m torn, and a big ride weenie myself.

Oh @figment_jii you had to go and mention baby Groot! @Jperiod had me firmly against it with that line about mama guilt for her screaming baby, which is why I talked DD out of it last trip! But she loves baby Groot. Is the ride really only 2 minutes? Maybe I can suck up my fear of it for 2 minutes to keep DD company on it. She really wants to do the rides she hasn’t done yet but she keeps hating the thrill rides. I want to encourage her courage in going on but since she keeps hating them I’m torn, and a big ride weenie myself.
It’s 2 minutes and 15 seconds give or take but your going up and down almost the entire time. When it falls down it’s not a free fall like a roller coaster the gantry is being pulled down. Personally, I think the music for MAD is a bit more intense then the 6 daytime options but the ride itself is not as intense as the most intense daytime version which I believe is the Jackson 5 song.

Our experience--the nighttime version is much more intense. Louder music, hard core music. More drops, more FUN! We love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!