Is Ohana going downhill?

We've always loved O'hana, however we had a horrible meal there on two separate trips over two years. This last one was so bad, I swore I wouldn't go back. Fast forward to December, we decided to give it one last shot. Everything was absolutely amazing. It was probably the best meal of the trip. Maybe Disney realized by the reviews that things were slipping and turned things around. We will definitely be back.

We've eaten at O'hana 3 times just in the last year (Jan 2017, November 2017, and last Friday 1/12/18). We've never had cold food, or bad service. We love the atmosphere, and the menu. Last Friday, I noticed something different, however. We had a 4 PM reservation, as that's all I could get this time, and no one in our party of 6 ordered alcohol. For the first time ever, we felt the food came fast and furious. We had just begun to eat our salads, when the appetizer plate came. I hadn't yet started on the appetizers, and they were at our table with the first shrimp skewer, immediately followed by chicken. I could be wrong, but suspect if we were drinking, the food wouldn't have been coming so fast. We were out in just under an hour. O'hana is a restaurant to take your time, but this is the one and only visit I felt very "rushed". Still delicious, and of course, we will still reserve on future trips!

We haven't been to Ohana in 15 years so we were looking forward to it as I was able to snag an ADR for April. I remember now, after reading all of these comments why we stopped going, the rush to get the customer out of the door! The food was always pretty good but now I'm rethinking going back as we hate being rushed through a meal, especially an expensive Disney meal. :guilty:

If you tell your server that you would like a slower pace to serving the food you will get that. Remember that you are in control. Yes, they may be trying to rush because it’s the busy time at the restaurant, but they can’t and won’t make you go faster if you don’t want to

For my family it is an absolute must do, however it can be hit or miss. I would say it is a hit 3/4 of the time.

The food can be cold and the food usually comes out in weird orders, or what may be available throughout the course of the meal is often not explained. For instance, last time we were getting meat before we saw our server.

Its far from the worlds best meat on a stick but I would not say the food is bad, and I LOVE the location. Since we know what is on offer, things like some of the meat being cold or too rare is not a big deal. However, I understand how the disorder there can be off putting.

That said, I do think it is delicious food, and you cannot beat the location. If you ask for preferences they always accommodate. For instance, I like my meat basically burnt, and will NOT eat meat with any pink. I told them this last time at it was absolutely not a problem.

We have an 8.30pm table in August. Is that too late to get a good choice of food? Or will it have sat around for hours by then? I’m not sure what time the last reservations are for dinner. My son is really excited to go there so I hope it doesn’t disappoint.

We have an 8.30pm table in August. Is that too late to get a good choice of food? Or will it have sat around for hours by then? I’m not sure what time the last reservations are for dinner. My son is really excited to go there so I hope it doesn’t disappoint.
I have had ADR's as late as 20:45 hours at Ohana's.

We were extremely disappointed on our last visit to Ohana. Took forever to be seated, meat was rubbery and overcooked, and the so-called "entertainment" (broom race thing) was not all it's cracked up to be. We won't be back.

Thanks. Is it right that you can the MK fireworks from The Polynesian? Probably won’t be any good to us as hopefully we will be knee deep in food by then
I schedule dinners that late because my 17 year old daughter loves fireworks but not the noise, she enjoys watching the fireworks from there and they pipe in the music which makes her even happier.

I schedule dinners that late because my 17 year old daughter loves fireworks but not the noise, she enjoys watching the fireworks from there and they pipe in the music which makes her even happier.
Fabulous. So we’ve accidentally made a reservation in time to see the fireworks from there? My daughter is the same - loves the lights, hates the noise. Should we request a particular table (eg by the windows) so that we can see them? Thanks!

Fabulous. So we’ve accidentally made a reservation in time to see the fireworks from there? My daughter is the same - loves the lights, hates the noise. Should we request a particular table (eg by the windows) so that we can see them? Thanks!
I have always asked to be at least near a window and in 8+ meals there we have always been helped. The tables by the windows are usually 2 to 4 seats but they have always seated us one row back from the windows with a great view.

I have always asked to be at least near a window and in 8+ meals there we have always been helped. The tables by the windows are usually 2 to 4 seats but they have always seated us one row back from the windows with a great view.
Thank you. There are five adults in our party so probably won’t get a window seat but I’ll ask for somewhere near to one. How exciting! Really looking forward to going now :thanks:

We ate there on our recent Nov/Dec trip. It was our first time(we’ve done breakfast 4 times and it’s a favorite). I can’t say we’d go back for dinner. It was very rushed and I wouldn’t say the food was out of the park good. I don’t think it’s worth the difficulty of ADR’s or cost(if not on the dining plan). If you aren’t HUGE steak or shrimp eaters, it doesn’t provide much flavor for the other things served. I myself am allergic to shellfish and the chicken was blah. The potstickers were good but not mind blowing, I-have-to-have-these-again at all costs. Things were lukewarm at best. We had better food at Yak&Yeti(some similarish dishes). :confused3 I don’t think the dessert/fireworks view are enough of a draw to go back.

We have dined at 'Ohana for more years, or times than I can remember and we've never had a bad meal or bad service. We go every trip and absolutely love that place.

Can't understand when people say they are rushed out. It is family dining so all the food - except dessert - does come close to together, but eating at your own speed should not be a problem. We've never felt rushed at all, or maybe we are clueless and don't take hints! Whatever, we don't allow any place to rush us, we always enjoy our meals at our leisure.

We’ve only been once for dinner and maybe I hyped it up because it was our one night without the kids but I wasn’t that impressed. The meal felt rushed and food was just okay.

I'm going to have to make a ressie at O'Hana's this year because we won't be staying at Poly this time out:(. Normally we just order the room service version and feast in pjs. This is a must have for my traveling kiddos and the adults are fine with it as well. Grilled meats, noodles and veggies plus that special fruit juice drink I could drink by the gallon. I don't "get" the bread but that is probably part of my lower processed carb thingie. Still if it shows up in the bread pudding I'm fine.

My little one and I had an outstanding meal there last Friday evening. Food was on point.

I want to thank all who by posting on this thread reminded me to get an ADR for 'Ohana's. When I first looked last night on mydisney there was nothing avail for 07/05 but at 5:16 AM touringplan's reservation finder came through with a 9:45 PM ressie. Not optimum timing but we'll "suffer" through it, LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter