Is the end coming for the Chase Disney Visa?

JerseyJanice

A Disboards original...
I just discovered that the Food & Wine Festival will not be sponsored by Chase this year. IDK another company will be sponsor it instead, but it makes me question what the future is for their Chase card.

The discounts that you used to get with the card were pretty scant this year, but I thought it might be because of the extra AP discounts they are offering for the 45th anniversary.

Could Disney and Chase be parting ways? Will Disney find a new banking sponsor?

Agree with @rteetz on this. Just got a promotional mailer from Chase promoting the use of their Disney card in today's mail.

I would note however, that Disney has changed preferred credit card companies in the past. At one time American Express was the preferred card.

Agree with @rteetz on this. Just got a promotional mailer from Chase promoting the use of their Disney card in today's mail.

I would note however, that Disney has changed preferred credit card companies in the past. At one time American Express was the preferred card.

I remember that! You got a free hat and pin when you paid for your Disney resort with your AmEx. They had a slogan or something about White Glove service.

AmEx is no longer at Costco either. You can use any Visa there, but the Visa brand they promote is Citibank.

As with most things Disney sponsor related I expect that Disney will go with whichever card company gives them the best deal when the current Chase contract ends. If a competing company comes in and offers Disney a 0.01% better discount rate on card use than the next closer company, Disney would jump at it.

what are the benefits for having the disney card?

Well, the sponsorship of the F&W Festival had a few perks for card holders, such as ability to book special events ahead of the general public, discounts on some of them, a special seating section at the Eat to the Beat concerts, and the Lounge.

The biggest perk IMHO of the card is 6 months free financing on Disney vacation packages.

The rewards which are not a generous percentage on non-annual fee cards are issued as Disney gift cards. At one time, it had some pretty good shopping and dining discounts, but like I said in my OP, those have been scarce in recent months.

what are the benefits for having the disney card?
1% discount on basic Card.

We have a Chase Disney VISA card - and thinking of dumping it. Why?

Many Generic cards will offer more than 1%. To boot, there are issues with using "points" at WDW. You may not use "points" in advance - you must wait until you establish a positive BALANCE on your bill. This occurred years ago, as WDW had no mechanism for returning funds to Chase in the event you OVERpaid.

Benefits? Minimal. Issues? Many. We HAVE this card.... and two others that grant greater overall cash rewards.

All personal opinion - I would look elsewhere. THIS particular card is, to us, less than optimum.

Many Generic cards will offer more than 1%. To boot, there are issues with using "points" at WDW. You may not use "points" in advance - you must wait until you establish a positive BALANCE on your bill. This occurred years ago, as WDW had no mechanism for returning funds to Chase in the event you OVERpaid.

Benefits? Minimal. Issues? Many. We HAVE this card.... and two others that grant greater overall cash rewards.

All personal opinion - I would look elsewhere. THIS particular card is, to us, less than optimum.
Agreed. We have had this card for years and it now sits in the safe never used. There are other cards that have better rewards with no fees. I would go with another card.

Bummer, this probably means no Chase lounge during F&W. it was a nice place to refresh with the freestyle machines.
Even if they did continue to be a sponsor, the venue, aka "The Parlor", used for the Chase Lounge is no longer available.

This card isn't for people looking for comprehensive travel rewards. It's for disney enthusiasts, or those who want to put a large vacation on their card for the 6 months no interest. I've personally never had any issues with the "points" as it's shifted to what's basically another gift card. I mainly used it for the sign up bonus and my first trip but since I got a Sapphire Preferred/Freedom those are my daily drivers. I think the average person doesn't realize or know if their credit card has any benefits to it.

Not advertising.... I have no stock, or interest, in Capital 1.... 1.5% cash back, EVERY purchase. No "points" (or tokens or credits - see the "Peggy" commercial :))
No annual fee.

As we have one? Rather than go through "point" hoops, we're using this in the future. No need to visit the desk.

Now - we are also DVC Members, APS, and TIW holders. YOUR situtation may very well be different than ours. We simply see no benefit in the Disney card, going forward.

We only use ours for the free photo at EPCOT, when the line isn't long. I also recently learned about the 10% discount at Disney Store. When the card first debuted 15 years ago it seemed to have had slightly better perks, but not much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter