• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is WDW cutting back on the AC to save money?

As someone in AZ that keeps their thermostats between 78 and 80, I almost always freeze when I go into a hotel room. However, if you're from the Midwest visiting WDW in FL, where the humidity is high and the temperature is also high, you should be able to cool off in queues for rides. The absolutely highest I would raise the temperature in the southeast is 75. A temperature any higher would keep it relatively humid.

There is no reason that Disney should be setting the temperatures high as anyone would north of the sun belt is going to feel it.

As someone in AZ that keeps their thermostats between 78 and 80, I almost always freeze when I go into a hotel room. However, if you're from the Midwest visiting WDW in FL, where the humidity is high and the temperature is also high, you should be able to cool off in queues for rides. The absolutely highest I would raise the temperature in the southeast is 75. A temperature any higher would keep it relatively humid.

There is no reason that Disney should be setting the temperatures high as anyone would north of the sun belt is going to feel it.
Some people consider 75 "hot" though. I think that's the problem is everyone has a different expectation of what an ac temperature should be. I prefer 78/79 degrees, anything below that and I feel cold. Some people I know keep their house at 70, and I need pants and a sweater to be remotely comfortable in that temperature. With the price of electricity only going to to up, and probably quickly up at that, I think a lot of businesses and individuals will start to raise their temperatures in the summer.

Some people consider 75 "hot" though. I think that's the problem is everyone has a different expectation of what an ac temperature should be. I prefer 78/79 degrees, anything below that and I feel cold. Some people I know keep their house at 70, and I need pants and a sweater to be remotely comfortable in that temperature. With the price of electricity only going to to up, and probably quickly up at that, I think a lot of businesses and individuals will start to raise their temperatures in the summer.
I'm from Scotland - 75F is a tropical day for us! We start sweating at 68!

The ambient temperature will have a part to play in the efficiency of any AC system though. The higher the ambient temperature, the more the refrigerant system will struggle to provide the same amount of cooling due to thermodynamics. Speaking as somebody who used to design AC systems, you will never design a system for the worst possible ambient temperature - we used to use a maximum design temperature that wouldn't be exceeded 95% of the time. But that means that 5% of the time, the system probably won't be able to provide the cooling required to get rooms down to the 'ideal' temperature.

Also I used to work in the British Gas research centre, and we had a climate room where we did experiements on people. We found that men and women preferred different temperatures - on average, men preferred it cooler (20C) and women warmer (22C). So AC systems are typically set to 21C in the UK (70F), thereby pleasing nobody!

Moves like this makes me so much less judgemental of people when they cut back on the age of their children when entering a park or staying in a resort.

Also the rooms seem to warm up overnight; any ideas how to keep it cool without getting up?
There's hacks all over this board to fake the motion sensor. We have never had a problem with it getting to warm overnight and we always go over the summer but that's just us.

Also the rooms seem to warm up overnight; any ideas how to keep it cool without getting up?

Its because of the motion sensor on them, at night no movement so they think no one is there. It is so annoying. We wake up in the middle of the night hot all the time.

We just came back from a short trip. At Haunted Mansion on Sunday 2/19, it was muggy and stagnant in both the stretching room and loading area for the doom buggies. Once we got about halfway through the ride, it seemed cooler. Many of the shops seemed warm but there were lots of people there for the holiday weekend, so that doesn't help.

We just came back from a short trip. At Haunted Mansion on Sunday 2/19, it was muggy and stagnant in both the stretching room and loading area for the doom buggies. Once we got about halfway through the ride, it seemed cooler. Many of the shops seemed warm but there were lots of people there for the holiday weekend, so that doesn't help.

Ambient temperature is going to play a factor too. If A/C is set to cool to, say, 75*F, but ambient temperature is "only" 72, the A/C is not going to be running. I don't know how they adjust things in the "cooler" months like February, but stagnant air might be noticeable even if the temperature isn't particularly high.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter