It shouldn't be hard to improve ___ (cheap technology = easy fixes)

not really on topic, or cheap, but how about making some kind of sense out of Wide World of Sports?

Honestly, does anyone know of any plans to turn this into another major or minor park. I know there are some events there but it seems like they could really hit a grand slam (no pun intended)by tapping into the sportsworld for a theme park. I mean Goofy would be a plethora of attraction ideas to mix in with sports.

not really on topic, or cheap, but how about making some kind of sense out of Wide World of Sports?

Honestly, does anyone know of any plans to turn this into another major or minor park. I know there are some events there but it seems like they could really hit a grand slam (no pun intended)by tapping into the sportsworld for a theme park. I mean Goofy would be a plethora of attraction ideas to mix in with sports.

I don't think it was ever intended to be a "major park" where mosts guests visited during a family trip.

It is used as a venue for the many sports related "invited groups" to practice and perform.

Its fields are laid out like most municipal sports complexes.
Looks like it has a nice arena and stadium.

More HERE.

I don't think it was ever intended to be a "major park" where mosts guests visited during a family trip.

It is used as a venue for the many sports related "invited groups" to practice and perform.

Its fields are laid out like most municipal sports complexes.
Looks like it has a nice arena and stadium.

It just seems to me that it is an easy thing to bring sports into WDW since they also have the ABC connection.

Just think, they could have "The Agony of Defeat" ski ride, how fun would that be? Or it be "The Natural" to have a Goofy baseball homerun derby experience...the list is endless. All those classic Disney cartoons that are based on sports are great.

Don't think the Wide World of Sports was ever intended to be a tourist destination when visiting WDW. Just another way for Disney to lure people to the property to drop cash at the parks and resorts.

Given the huge improvements and vastly lower costs in technology since WDW opened, what do you think could be greatly improved for a relatively low cost?

I'll start. Since high-definition is so pervasive & high-quality digital projectors relatively cheap nowadays, it shouldn't cost much to improve the movies at the beginning and end of the Great Movie Ride! There's just no good reason for those sequences to be of such poor quality -- especially in a purported 'movie studio'!

What say you?

I disagree as well. These movies were made in the 40's, 50's and 60's. I like seeing them as they were made.

I disagree as well. These movies were made in the 40's, 50's and 60's. I like seeing them as they were made.

The mode of projection (digital or film, if done properly) is not designed to change the "look" of the images.

Using video (digital video is what we are discussing) to store and display them can eliminate the DETERIORATION (fading, scratches and dust) due to the constant repetition of projecting strips of film.

It is a way to KEEP the "look" of the images that we love from degrading.

The mode of projection (digital or film, if done properly) is not designed to change the "look" of the images.

Using video (digital video is what we are discussing) to store and display them can eliminate the DETERIORATION (fading, scratches and dust) due to the constant repetition of projecting strips of film.

It is a way to KEEP the "look" of the images that we love from degrading.

correctomundo

i would also add that attractions such as the countries in WS (sorry, I forget which ones) that have the circlevision 360, projectd effects on rides, etc... (not talking about Great Movie Ride) would greatly benefit from material RECORDED and DISPLAYED in HD. The images currently displayed on these attractions are not the Golden Oldies from Hollywood, rather specific content recorded for the attraction. HD images would provide much better detail and realism, thus greatly enhancing the viewing experience. Unless one happens to like their blurry nostalgia.

HD images would provide much better detail and realism, thus greatly enhancing the viewing experience.

I'm a "video" guy from way back.
I prefer to work with video over film, myself,

BUT...

HD video does not offer nearly the nearly "unlimited" resolution of a good film stock.
Especially in a large frame format.

Soarin' images digitally projected would look pretty sad, I'm afraid.

(Big chunks of dirt in the present system, notwithstanding.)

I'm a "video" guy from way back.
I prefer to work with video over film, myself,

BUT...

HD video does not offer nearly the nearly "unlimited" resolution of a good film stock. Especially in a large frame format.

I'm definitely an amateur techy, so i will bow to your limitless knowledge, you are Robo:worship: . however, it seems any attraction (Disney or others) that have projected images, suffer from blurry images. Obviously that could be caused by different things, film degradation, out of focus, dirty lense, dirty lamp, dim lamp, color guns, etc, etc, etc.....

The only thing i do know is that an ISF calibrated 1080p pic (i have a 1080p PJ with bluray) is friggin' amazing. I've yet to see any projected images at theme parks that rivals a properly calibrated image such as in my home or my technician's studio.

If it makes a TV picture, I have it in my
Basement of Wonders.

:goodvibes

REALLY?

Do you have any Spectra Vision disks? You know the ones that look like music records but are actually video disks that came out PRE vhs?

I know alot of strange technologie stuff such as the first hand held game system with interchangable cartrisges was NOT game boy but in fact MICRO-VISION which came out in the early 80's!!! Almost 15 years before gameboys first release!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microvision

BACK ON TOPIC WITH MYSELF.

I think I like the way old movies look as well adn as far as the deterioration stuff, BAHHUMBUG! Thats what they said about cds!!! I LIKE THE SOUND OF RECORDS OVER CDS!!!! The feel of an old film is ENHANCED with scratches etc.!

Thats what they said about cds!!! I LIKE THE SOUND OF RECORDS OVER CDS!!!! The feel of an old film is ENHANCED with scratches etc.!

Talk to the people who CREATE the product.

Quite a few years ago, I had the privilege of attending a film seminar where the guest was
FRANK CAPRA, the gifted director of films like It's a Wonderful Life, You Can't Take It With You and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

Mr. Capra was there to talk about the making of his classic films.
The moderator had brought in library copies of the films so they could play samples of scenes for discussion.

This was in the early 1980's before there were even good VHS tapes of these movies available.
We were looking at 16mm FILM copies of his movies that evening.

Some of the films had scratches and splices where the film had broken and was repaired.

Mr. Capra stopped talking about his career and started to let the moderator know how unhappy he was at the terrible quality of the film copies we were watching that evening.

He talked about how carefully they chose the film stock and how much time he and his director of photography spent on lighting the scenes for proper
effect... and he was upset that the moderator had not brought in better prints... that would respect the high quality of the original works.

Mr. Capra is sadly no longer with us, but his cherished works will live forever.
And I will never forget his reaction to seeing copies of his work in such sad physical condition.

Scratchy film is not meant to be a part of the movie-going experience.
The craftsmen and women of the industry work too hard
for us to let that kind physical deterioration mar their efforts.

They have actually tested systems that offer ride info via:

A- Portable Video Game consoles.
B- Cell phone text messages.

Neither have gone into implementation but something is likely
on the horizon before too long.

While I like that, I don't need something that individualized. Maybe some LCD in the various QS places in particular lands helping to guide me. Perhaps a channel that I could get in the room listing the waits. Sure, it'd change frequently but I could have an idea of what to expect if I went back to my resort hotel after a morning session and plan on heading back at night.

While I like that, I don't need something that individualized. Maybe some LCD in the various QS places in particular lands helping to guide me. Perhaps a channel that I could get in the room listing the waits. Sure, it'd change frequently but I could have an idea of what to expect if I went back to my resort hotel after a morning session and plan on heading back at night.

A "tips board" with info over an hour old is pretty much useless for tracking current riding availability, I'm afraid.

Like a radio traffic report telling you to avoid areas of accidents with tie-ups that happened yesterday.

Talk to the people who CREATE the product.

Quite a few years ago, I had the privilege of attending a film seminar where the guest was
FRANK CAPRA, the gifted director of films like It's a Wonderful Life, You Can't Take It With You and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

Mr. Capra was there to talk about the making of his classic films.
The moderator had brought in library copies of the films so they could play samples of scenes for discussion.

This was in the early 1980's before there were even good VHS tapes of these movies available.
We were looking at 16mm FILM copies of his movies that evening.

Some of the films had scratches and splices where the film had broken and was repaired.

Mr. Capra stopped talking about his career and started to let the moderator know how unhappy he was at the terrible quality of the film copies we were watching that evening.

He talked about how carefully they chose the film stock and how much time he and his director of photography spent on lighting the scenes for proper
effect... and he was upset that the moderator had not brought in better prints... that would respect the high quality of the original works.

Mr. Capra is sadly no longer with us, but his cherished works will live forever.
And I will never forget his reaction to seeing copies of his work in such sad physical condition.

Scratchy film is not meant to be a part of the movie-going experience.
The craftsmen and women of the industry work too hard
for us to let that kind physical deterioration mar their efforts.

LOL
As an award winning, internationally distributed Filmmaker myself I must still disagree. Although I do agree to some extent that it is a matter of what you like. I do disagree it is better recieved by all professionals because framkly, I for one LIKE THE FEEL! lol My last film was shot digitally and I went through ALOT of time and pain making it look like old film and added degration to the video.

P.S. Films like night of the living dead etc. would not have been so affective if it wasnt so grainy. In fact NOTLD was supposed to be that way. Romero shot it on the lowest quality B&W stock he could find on purpose. He couldve easily and probably for the same price shot it on color film of higher standard for the time.

LOL
As an award winning, internationally distributed Filmmaker myself I must still disagree. Although I do agree to some extent that it is a matter of what you like. I do disagree it is better recieved by all professionals because framkly, I for one LIKE THE FEEL! lol My last film was shot digitally and I went through ALOT of time and pain making it look like old film and added degration to the video.

P.S. Films like night of the living dead etc. would not have been so affective if it wasnt so grainy. In fact NOTLD was supposed to be that way. Romero shot it on the lowest quality B&W stock he could find on purpose. He couldve easily and probably for the same price shot it on color film of higher standard for the time.

We both know that EFFECTS are not what we're discussing here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter