Hanging up my running shoes

Congrats on a great race and new PR!!

We found our other running buddies and collected our reward. A beer glass! No medals for this race unless you place, folks.
This might be an acceptable substitute for a medal :)

Participants also get 2 free beers, but we opted for the Bloody Mary bar instead.
That bloody mary looks amazing... I want to take a bite of the pretzel and olives... yum!

I was reasonably pleased with my place finish in my age group though. I got 6th place out of 25 runners in my division, so not half bad, right?
Not half bad and way more than half good... Awesome job!!

That hoodie looks super comfortable!

Congrats on the PR - that's awesome! Especially considering the injury ... I'm really impressed that you were able to keep such a good pace! Congrats!

I think @Chris-Mo may have to get used to telling that "F**k Tired" story during every race ... it seems to be good motivation for you!

Thank you! I'm pretty sure Chris has decided that's his go-to phrase until such time I tell him to shut up already. ;)

Great job zelly and Chris!!! I really like the 15k distance. And if I actually liked bloody Mary's I'd imagine olives and pretzels in them would be yummy.

I like that your "F&@! Tired" came back to help you again.

And I really like that you got 6th place...Dang Girl!!!!! Nice job!!!!

Thank you. I mean, it's not exactly a huge field of runners, but certainly the best I've done in my division in any race.

It was one of those runs that at the start could go either way. But this time it swung the great way. The bloody Mary was very good! It was a very nice mix not too hot. Gisele likes good vodka so she had them put in the good stuff that always helps. Overall, it was a successful race, Gisele did a great job and I know she talked about slowing a bit but she really did not flag much and finished strong at the end!

You are good motivation!

Congratulations on your PR, and great race report!

Good luck on your half, and yes, mostly slow running really does help you go fast. I'm definitely a believer myself. I'm currently reading Matt Fitzgerald's "80/20 Running" and there's all sorts of science behind why the "go slow to race fast" approach works. It's an interesting read if you're curious about it. Can't wait to see how the half goes!

Thank you. I should absolutely read that. Right now, I'm okay going with blind faith in @DopeyBadger , but I really am curious about the science behind it. It feels so counter intuitive.

Proud of you! A very impressive performance given the circumstances. Rest up and get ready to attack the HM!

Thanks, Coach!

Congrats on a great race and new PR!!

This might be an acceptable substitute for a medal :)

That bloody mary looks amazing... I want to take a bite of the pretzel and olives... yum!

Not half bad and way more than half good... Awesome job!!

Thank you. The olives were stuffed with blue cheese too! They were delicious as was the drink. A nice way to celebrate!!

Great job! Congrats on the PR!!

Thank you!

Congrats on a great race! I love that shape of beer glass. I have one from our local brewery. We have a series that does Brewery 5ks that gives out glasses and coasters with beer openers on the bottom. It's way more useful than a shirt.

Congrats on your race Awesome PRing, especially dealing with a strain!!!

Thank you!

Awesome job!! Congrats on the amazing PR!

Thank you!

What a great race! Loved this recap, and am super happy to see that you were able to get through the race comfortably enough to get a sweet new PR! That sweatshirt is amazing. Also, I totally agree with @run.minnie.miles, I'd be totally OK with a beer glass instead of a medal : )

Thank you! I was also totally OK with the beer glass. Gets more use than the medal any day. :)

Congrats on a great race! I love that shape of beer glass. I have one from our local brewery. We have a series that does Brewery 5ks that gives out glasses and coasters with beer openers on the bottom. It's way more useful than a shirt.

Brewery 5Ks sound fun!

Things to do in Orlando that aren't Disney (or theme parks)
giphy.gif

That's right! I said not Disney and not theme parks. Shocking!!

I'm looking at booking flights for our trip, and if we stay an extra two days, the airfare drops considerably. Enough to offset the added hotel costs. So, that of course, got me thinking.

giphy.gif

That would allow us to take an even easier relaxed approach to the trip. We could easily spend a day at a water park, Disney Springs/Boardwalk stuff and then maybe even venture off Disney property since we'd have a car. I'm not necessarily interested in shopping at the outlets (we have outlets right near our house, so nothing new or exciting there), but what other fun things are there to do around the Disney area. I briefly debated about going over to Universal, but honestly that adds a lot more cost and just more run, run, run and I don't want to do that. I did consider just going over to enjoy City Walk though. Maybe we even consider driving for the day to a beach. Paige would love that! So, where's a good choice to drive for a beach day? We love the Sarasota area, but maybe there's something better and closer? I wouldn't care to drive a couple of hours to do something either since we'd have more time.

So, thoughts??? Give me some ideas. I will need to sell @Chris-Mo on this. :P

giphy.gif

When we went in Nov 2016, we drove to Cocoa Beach for a day and had a great time! The drive itself was so unique. I also hope to go to the space center someday.

Do you guys do ferris wheels? The Orlando Eye is supposed to be great, and I'm pretty sure there are a few other things to do in that area.

I've never really venture outside the theme parks, so I don't know much, but I'm sure there must be a beach somewhere ...

Sorry, I'm less than helpful on this one. Last time I left property was 2011, and that was just a trip to Hogwarts.

One year when I went with my sister, we were going to take an air boat ride somewhere in the area the morning before our flight, but it was raining, so we opted not to do it. So, I can’t necessarily recommend it, but it is something to look into if that’s your thing.

We made a trip over to Tampa when we went to WDW last time. My mom really wanted Cuban food and the city was really cool. We also went to Cocoa Beach one day and had lunch at a place on the beach.

Cocoa Beach is really nice! We stay there before every cruise and really like the area. There are also some pretty good outlet malls in Orlando where I stock up on running gear, but that might not help with the whole argument to offset costs. LOL

I would recommend St Augustine. That was a lot of fun and very interesting the day we did it. I lived in Tampa for a year and Clearwater beach is very nice as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!