Japan - adding on Tokyo Disney?

Raya

DIS Veteran
I was suprised to see that Tokyo Disney isn't part of the ABD in Japan. How many days would you say we should add on to the end of our adventure for the parks? Is 3 days enough? I'm assuming that ABD will help us book the hotel room and tickets, but won't provide any kind of trip extension with a guide or help on how to navigate the parks. Are there VIP tour services we could get their similar to what we have in the states? Going to Disneyland/DisneySea is a big part of making the trip for us, so I don't want it to be a mess after a great ABD tour. Do we have a Tokyo Disney forum or thread somewhere?

You're right - it is a surprise that ABD doesn't coordinate and offer time at the end (or beginning) of their Japan trips. It seems like a natural fit, especially when you look at the China itinerary. But it is very unlikely that ABD will offer any help in booking hotels or tickets for Tokyo Disneyland/Sea. You're going to be on your own and will need to coordinate those reservations when they become available - which is only a few months in advance (if you wish to stay on property). One thing I do know ABD will offer is a transfer from your final ABD hotel to Tokyo Disney - that's in lieu of a transfer to the airport, which is included with the trip. Then you'll need to provide your own transportation to the airport after you're done at TDR. As for how long, that's a question only you can answer. But if you get there mid-day of your first day (the last day of ABD), it really only gives you 2 full days at TDR. If one full day, each park sounds good, you're probably fine before heading to the airport that final morning. Personally, I think I'd want at least another full day, maybe two, just to be sure we get to enjoy parks we'd probably only get to once.

I'm not sure about any tours available, but I expect with some research, you could find someone in Japan offering some assistance. But you're probably on your own booking a TDR resort and tickets.

I'm assuming there were issues with ABD dealing with Tokyo Disneyland Resort, because they *did* offer an add-on the first year (2019). It included transportation from the ABD hotel to the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, your room there, admission to the parks, fast passes, a free drink pass, free use of the monorail, a souvenir and transportation to the airport afterwards. But they have not offered it since (it was not offered for 2020 pre-pandemic). I'm not sure what the issue was, but it was enough for them not to repeat it.

It's different than the China ABD, where Hong Kong and Shanghai Disneyland are included in the trip. Disney owns a large (but not majority) interest in both China parks (the government of China and Hong Kong own the majority shares). However, Tokyo Disneyland Resort is 100% owned by the Oriental Land Company, and licenses the rights to everything from Disney. So I assume that makes it *much* harder to negotiate and guarantee stuff with TDLR. They had enough issues with Shanghai, and Disney owns part of it (our Adventure Guides had to argue with the folks from Shanghai, because they didn't want to allow them to wear their ID badges or carry the paddle of power, or anything that made them look like they might be official Tokyo Disney representatives).

ABD will not help you book TDLR. They aren't a travel agency. You're on your own for that. It's hard to navigate TDLR's website, and you can't book very far in advance. But if you book an onsite hotel, I'm 99.9% sure you are guaranteed to get into the parks (you can purchase your tickets when you check in). If you wanted to wait until you're on the trip to book, the Adventure Guides would probably offer their help, but there's only so much they can do, and I would never risk waiting.

That said, we got to the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel early the last day of the ABD (prior to the parks opening). We had 3-day passes, which at TDLR gives you one full day in each park for Days 1 and 2, and park hopping on Day 3. That's the only way you can park hop at TDLR unless you have some sort of special VIP tour. I did Disneyland Park Day 1, Disney Sea Day 2, and park hopped the last day. I left Disneyland around 8pm for a 9pm pickup at the hotel to go to the airport (I had a redeye flight out of Haneda). Obviously I *could* have spent more time there, since who knows when or if I'll get back, but I found it was enough time, and I was satisfied (and exhausted!)

There *is* a Forum here on the DIS for TDLR.

https://www.disboards.com/forums/other-lands.176/

You can also Google a couple of Tokyo Disney-centric websites.

It's a great park, and really worth seeing!

Sayhello

Last edited:
I'm assuming there were issues with ABD dealing with Tokyo Disneyland Resort, because they *did* offer an add-on the first year (2019). It included transportation from the ABD hotel to the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, your room there, admission to the parks, fast passes, a free drink pass, free use of the monorail, a souvenir and transportation to the airport afterwards. But they have not offered it since (it was not offered for 2020 pre-pandemic). I'm not sure what the issue was, but it was enough for them not to repeat it.

It's different than the China ABD, where Hong Kong and Shanghai Disneyland are included in the trip. Disney owns a large (but not majority) interest in both China parks (the government of China and Hong Kong own the majority shares). However, Tokyo Disneyland Resort is 100% owned by the Oriental Land Company, and licenses the rights to everything from Disney. So I assume that makes it *much* harder to negotiate and guarantee stuff with TDLR. They had enough issues with Shanghai, and Disney owns part of it (our Adventure Guides had to argue with the folks from Shanghai, because they didn't want to allow them to wear their ID badges or carry the paddle of power, or anything that made them look like official Disney representatives).

ABD will not help you book TDLR. They aren't a travel agency. You're on your own for that. It's hard to navigate TDLR's website, and you can't book very far in advance. But if you book an onsite hotel, I'm 99.9% sure you are guaranteed to get into the parks (you can purchase your tickets when you check in). If you wanted to wait until you're on the trip to book, the Adventure Guides would probably offer their help, but there's only so much they can do, and I would never risk waiting.

That said, we got there early the last day of the ABD (prior to the parks opening). We had 3-day passes, which at TDLR gives you one full day in each park for Days 1 and 2, and park hopping on Day 3. That's the only way you can park hop at TDLR unless you have some sort of special VIP tour. I did Disneyland Park Day 1, Disney Sea Day 2, and park hopped the last day. I left Disneyland around 8pm for a 9pm pickup at the hotel to go to the airport (I had a redeye flight out of Haneda). Obviously I *could* have spent more time there, since who knows when or if I'll get back, but I found it was enough time, and I was satisfied (and exhausted!)

There *is* a Forum here on the DIS for TDLR.

https://www.disboards.com/forums/other-lands.176/

You can also Google a couple of Tokyo Disney-centric websites.

It's a great park, and really worth seeing!

Sayhello
Thank you so much for all that!

It is interesting that ABD can't or won't offer Tokyo Disney options for the Japan ABD trips, but managed to do that for the private jet ABD trip. I guess money talks...
Yes, I would say that is the correct answer to that!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter