JetBlue points reservation cancellation

monarchsfan16

<font color=green>Holy smokes, the DIS is a big pl
Has anyone had a JetBlue reservation booked on True Blue points that they canceled for this spring? Wondering if you just got your points back (I'm assuming not) or if they go into a travel bank like with people who paid cash, or if they just disappear?

One reservation, booked after the magic date in March, full points refunded to my account. Other flights, booked before March, not only can I not figure out where the points would go, would CHARGE me $300 to cancel my flight (4 tickets on the reservation). It's literally cheaper to loose the points and do nothing than cancel the flight.

One reservation, booked after the magic date in March, full points refunded to my account. Other flights, booked before March, not only can I not figure out where the points would go, would CHARGE me $300 to cancel my flight (4 tickets on the reservation). It's literally cheaper to loose the points and do nothing than cancel the flight.
Thanks. The latter is what I'm afraid of. We booked on opening day, so well before March, and well before this stupid virus was even a thing.

Thanks. The latter is what I'm afraid of. We booked on opening day, so well before March, and well before this stupid virus was even a thing.

Yup. I reached out last week to JetBlue that I was being penalized for booking early. I got the standard policies are policies response. I'm still not understanding how I'd owe for the pleasure of not using the points I earned... I guess we just won't show up if it comes to that? Because I'm not paying $300 to not fly.

We bought our tickets in Jan for a March 20th flight to Orlando.
Our points were refunded to our account, the upcharge for More Comfort Seats was refunded to our credit card, the tax in the travel bank.
We were told we had to use them for a flight that flies before Dec 31st, 2020.

From the Jet Blue site:
No change or cancellation fees.
We’ve waived all change and cancel fees for travel thru 5/31/20, regardless of when you purchased your ticket. And, there are no change or cancel fees on new flights booked thru 3/31/20. Fare difference may apply. Funds issued as a JetBlue Travel Bank credit, valid for one year.

Has anyone had a JetBlue reservation booked on True Blue points that they canceled for this spring? Wondering if you just got your points back (I'm assuming not) or if they go into a travel bank like with people who paid cash, or if they just disappear?

Another data point: I had 2 flights booked on points for May and went to cancel them via chat about 2 weeks ago. Initially I got a clearly scripted copy paste script saying that my points would not be refunded but when I politely explained the situation (hi risk Canadian citizen partner) the agent immediately refunded all my points. We always pay for Even More Space seats so those fees were refunded straight back to my JetBlue Plus card and only the taxes for the flight were put into a travel bank.

For reference, I booked those flights last winter, the day the schedule came out for our dates, so well outside the timeframe they are offering these new changes, etc. I have not yet contacted them about my solo July flights (2 one ways, one on points and the other a cash Blue Flex or w/e). Also just fyi chat agents tend to be the best at call centers, chat/social media is not given to just anyone so they tend to give better service as a rule.

3/27 - update on JetBlue's website, you can now cancel without a fee! It's no longer going to cost me $ to not use my own points ;)

For those of you who have successfully canceled and gotten your points returned and $ refunded, were you able to do all this online or did you have to call? I have tickets I bought in January for a trip starting April 29 and returning May 7. Booked on points with $ added for extra-leg-room seat.

Thank you! And so glad to hear JetBlue is giving refunds now.

For those of you who have successfully canceled and gotten your points returned and $ refunded, were you able to do all this online or did you have to call? I have tickets I bought in January for a trip starting April 29 and returning May 7. Booked on points with $ added for extra-leg-room seat.

Thank you! And so glad to hear JetBlue is giving refunds now.

I did most of it online both points & $ flights. Unfortunately, one flight was my husband only, and those travel funds didn't go automatically into our pooled family funds (all the rest did, when he was on the reservation with me). It's not a huge deal... except we only get the JetBlue free checked bags with cc perk when flights are booked through my account. So I've got a message in to JetBlue to see if it can be moved into our pooled funds.

I did most of it online both points & $ flights. Unfortunately, one flight was my husband only, and those travel funds didn't go automatically into our pooled family funds (all the rest did, when he was on the reservation with me). It's not a huge deal... except we only get the JetBlue free checked bags with cc perk when flights are booked through my account. So I've got a message in to JetBlue to see if it can be moved into our pooled funds.
Thanks, @cmarsh31. I'll do it online and report back my results.

I just got the JB credit card at the end of December, since I knew I'd be charging $1,000 to it--my AP renewal--and figuring that the $99 yearly fee would be totally worth it since I'd be flying to WDW twice during the year + the free checked bags. Right now I'm not so sure that $99 will pay for itself but I'm hopeful that my already-booked December 2020 WDW trip will happen. I do intend to wait as long as possible before I book those flights, though.

I'm gonna cry today when I cancel everything, but I'd rather cry over that than over someone losing their life.

Thanks, @cmarsh31.
I just got the JB credit card at the end of December, since I knew I'd be charging $1,000 to it--my AP renewal--and figuring that the $99 yearly fee would be totally worth it since I'd be flying to WDW twice during the year + the free checked bags. Right now I'm not so sure that $99 will pay for itself ...

Another perk with the JB Plus card is every year you get a 5000 point bonus. So as much as the free bags pay for the card to buy 5000 points would cost more then $99 so that's a nice perk too so not a total waste if you end up not flying. Also if you charged enough in the first three months there are bonus points added to your account. Lately it has been 60k points but can't remember when that started, before that i want to say it was 40k.

Another perk with the JB Plus card is every year you get a 5000 point bonus. So as much as the free bags pay for the card to buy 5000 points would cost more then $99 so that's a nice perk too so not a total waste if you end up not flying. Also if you charged enough in the first three months there are bonus points added to your account. Lately it has been 60k points but can't remember when that started, before that i want to say it was 40k.
Yes. There were 40K bonus points and I charged my AP renewal so I got them right away. I'd forgotten about the bonus points every year--that's great. Makes the $99 seem very well worth it.

Reporting in. I just successfully canceled both flights, outbound and inbound. I'd booked them separately. The points are already back in my account and I'll check during the week to see that the money was refunded to my JB credit card. They did hold back $5.60 per flight in something called a travel bank, which I guess I'll be able to use when I book for the next trip. December. It'd better be December. I've got severe DWS (Disney Withdrawal Syndrome).

Many thanks to everyone on this thread, all of you, I'm sure, as disappointed as I am. My sister can't even bring herself to cancel.

Reporting in. I just successfully canceled both flights, outbound and inbound. I'd booked them separately. The points are already back in my account and I'll check during the week to see that the money was refunded to my JB credit card. They did hold back $5.60 per flight in something called a travel bank, which I guess I'll be able to use when I book for the next trip. December. It'd better be December. I've got severe DWS (Disney Withdrawal Syndrome).

Many thanks to everyone on this thread, all of you, I'm sure, as disappointed as I am. My sister can't even bring herself to cancel.
If you are logged into your Trueblue account when booking, there will be an option on the payments page to use travel bank funds.

The $5.60 per flight was the tax you paid when booking using points. Uncle Sam wants his cut. I believe it's technically a security fee that was imposed after 9-11.

When you go to re-book on the payment page there will be an option to pay with travel bank funds, IIRC it's just above the place when you click for credit cards, pay pal etc.. Click on the box and then it will show the difference, if any, that you owe. If paying by points again the cost should be that $5.60 per flight. Unless Uncle Sam changes it.

For all of you who've gotten refunds from JetBlue, can you tell me how long they took to show up on your JB credit card? I realize that since I canceled on Saturday, it may be a while before my credit appears.

Thanks!

For all of you who've gotten refunds from JetBlue, can you tell me how long they took to show up on your JB credit card? I realize that since I canceled on Saturday, it may be a while before my credit appears.

Thanks!
We had points and cash (cash for more legroom seats). Points showed up immediately, the credit on our Jetblue card for the MoreLegRoom seats showed up about 5 days later.

We had points and cash (cash for more legroom seats). Points showed up immediately, the credit on our Jetblue card for the MoreLegRoom seats showed up about 5 days later.
Thank you, @Pooh2! My points showed up immediately as well. Now I'll stop looking for the money (I also purchased extra-room seats) until Friday.

Right now I'm looking forward to the happy day I can use those points again and bask in the wonder that is WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter