JetBlue points reservation cancellation

JetBlue cancelled our cash flights last week, and after filling out a "survey" that asked me if I wanted cash back or a credit (that's a hard one lol), I got the money refunded back to my credit card in about 5 days. Go JetBlue!

Update: Logged on to my JetBlue cc account this morning and the refund has appeared.

OK so 2 questions... Is this an update that JB is refunding the cost of flights? I want to book for July but the website says if canceled the money goes into a travel bank.
Also, is there a downside to booking Blue Basic? It is cheaper to book Basic and pay extra for seats than book Blue with free seat selection. If I pay extra to sit in say row 4 can I board with the other people in that row? I have the plus CC so no bag fees for me.

I had a portion of our May trip cancel automatically, when the flights reduced to limited days per week. I cancelled the second half via phone (only because the online “cancel” button decided not to work). All the points were refunded immediately. The funds from taxes went into our travel back and I’m still waiting on the extra space seat money to be refunded to my CC.

On a different note: Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the airfare prices just jumped up exponentially.

Also, is there a downside to booking Blue Basic? It is cheaper to book Basic and pay extra for seats than book Blue with free seat selection. If I pay extra to sit in say row 4 can I board with the other people in that row? I have the plus CC so no bag fees for me.

I was told you can do a mock booking and find what they are charging for the seats so you can see if there is a difference. I am not sure if you then get the earlier boarding with that row or if they make you wait to the end. I have found if you tweet JB they are great at responding. I do know if you have an infant or needs help boarding you can board early with a Basic fare from what they told me.

However if you wanted upgrade to the Even More space seats what I found is you will pay the same price in the end whether you buy a Basic fare and upgrade or if you get buy a Blue fare and upgrade. Say the Basic fare is $75 and the Blue fare is $100. It will cost you $75 to upgrade to Even More from a Basic for a total of $150 and $50 to upgrade from Blue for a total of $150.

Not only did airfare jump (especially August) but is it just me - the full refund/no penalty is now back to only through May 31st as of today...

Not only did airfare jump (especially August) but is it just me - the full refund/no penalty is now back to only through May 31st as of today...
I just checked the JetBlue website and it says: "there are no change or cancel fees on new flights booked through April 30th for travel until October 24th. Terms and conditions apply."

Last edited:
OK so 2 questions... Is this an update that JB is refunding the cost of flights? I want to book for July but the website says if canceled the money goes into a travel bank.
They only refund the cost to your original form of payment if they are the ones cancelling the flight. If you cancel the flight, the money goes into a travel bank.

They only refund the cost to your original form of payment if they are the ones cancelling the flight. If you cancel the flight, the money goes into a travel bank.
I canceled my trip and the money was refunded to my JB credit card. The only money put in the travel bank was the government fees--$5.60 per flight. However, this is just my experience and maybe they're not doing the same thing for everyone or maybe this is because I used a JB credit card?

I just checked the JetBlue website and it says: "there are no change or cancel fees on new flights booked through April 30th for travel until October 24th. Terms and conditions apply."

Can you link where you're seeing that? Because this is what I'm seeing....

So if you booked before 2/27 AND are traveling after 5/31 - you're paying a fee, which was not true for the 3/27 update (because I cancelled my July flights for no fee but now my friends are stuck because they didn't do it right away - so I really want to be wrong and be able to tell her that she can still change her July flight booked in January).

Attachments

• 1585947359750.png
    1585947359750.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 2
Can you link where you're seeing that? Because this is what I'm seeing....
View attachment 485387
View attachment 485389

So if you booked before 2/27 AND are traveling after 5/31 - you're paying a fee, which was not true for the 3/27 update (because I cancelled my July flights for no fee but now my friends are stuck because they didn't do it right away - so I really want to be wrong and be able to tell her that she can still change her July flight booked in January).
It's hard for me to link because Disboards is an IT nightmare for my computer for some reason- it's hard enough for me to just respond or even get the "like" button to work. I often have to clear my cookies & refresh every time I do thise things. And my computer doesn't like the JetBlue website either, so...

But I did see it last night on the website (look around & I'm sure you'll find it) when I booked our flights for July. There was an error when I booked, so I called JetBlue this morning to straighten it out, and while doing so, I asked about their cancellation policy, since their recorded phone message mentions cancellation fees being "waived" through an earlier date than the October date I said above.

The JetBlue rep there were two separate notices on that, based on people booking before or after the pandemic issue emerged. She said the "fee waiver" referred to people who had booked pre-pandemic-awareness. Their flights origanally would have incurred cancellations & change fees, so JetBlue is waiving those.

She said the "no cancellation or change fees" refers to post-pandemic-awareness bookings made from now until April 30th, for travel through October 24th, and instead of calling it a waiver, they're just saying no cancellation or change fees will apply to those flights period (therefore there are no fees to "waive").

Make sense? It's a terminology difference, but the bottom line is that there will be no cancellation or change fees on flights that are booked through April 30th, as long as those flights are for October 24th or earlier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter