Jewelry, Should I make my own?

jmskinner

DIS Veteran
I keep searching for necklaces to wear with certain outfits and can't ever find anything I like. So last night I thought about making my own. Is it very difficult and how expensive? If I bought at a store it would be Kohls or Target, etc., so I'm not looking for expensive stuff. So, what do you think, should I try making it myself and any suggestions on where to start?

Initial expense might seem high, as you need tools, a pack of clasps, crimps, and beading wire...but these make many pieces...

Then you have the beads, which are addictive, and yes, you will be able to make things just as you want them.

If you decide to go for it, I can give you a basic list of tools and help with some instruction. There is also a good jewelry site on About.com.

Good Luck!

You should make your own !!! but as pp says its addictive :laughing: you cant stop...I see that you live near Disney so there are a few shops that can help you beggining ; I dont live there but since I visit often I decided to search for interesting beading places to visit the next time since I make jewelry for me and for selling here is one that I think could help because you can buy and make your jewelry there ,they help you and didn't charge for sitting time:

www.thebeadlounge.net

anyway google bead stores near ...(your adress) and search and also feel free to ask here !
:hippie:

Initial expense might seem high, as you need tools, a pack of clasps, crimps, and beading wire...but these make many pieces...

Then you have the beads, which are addictive, and yes, you will be able to make things just as you want them.

If you decide to go for it, I can give you a basic list of tools and help with some instruction. There is also a good jewelry site on About.com.

Good Luck!

If you could post a list of materials that would be great. I figure I could check online and figure out the initial cost.

You should make your own !!! but as pp says its addictive :laughing: you cant stop...I see that you live near Disney so there are a few shops that can help you beggining ; I dont live there but since I visit often I decided to search for interesting beading places to visit the next time since I make jewelry for me and for selling here is one that I think could help because you can buy and make your jewelry there ,they help you and didn't charge for sitting time:

www.thebeadlounge.net

anyway google bead stores near ...(your adress) and search and also feel free to ask here !

Thank you for the link, it is saved in my favorites. I may have to check out that store, or will see if one is close. I live closer to Tampa than Orlando, but never mind driving.

:thanks: to both of you. I knew the lovely Dis members would help me out. I really think I want to try this. I was looking at some pictures posted and saw some beautiful items people had made. I always look at craft fairs, but it is never the colors I want or length I am looking for. Guess I am too picky so making it myself sounds like the best idea.

This is a basic list...

Tools: They have basic sets in the jewelry dept at Mike's, Joann's, and ACMoore, with a coupon, that won't cost too much. You need a wire cutter, flat nose pliers, and round nose pliers (for later when you are making loops for earrings and stuff like that)

Clasps: I'd start with toggle clasps, as they are easy to work with, and easy to use.

Crimps: get a pack to match the color of the clasps. They are very tiny, like seed beads.

Beading Wire: They sell this at the big 3 also, get something that is .19", as it is easy to use with the crimps, and most beads. Again, get the color that matches the clasp

That's the basics needed. With a coupon, should be under $20.

Bead design, I try to go with the rule of 3's. For a necklace, 3 large focal beads, then have some medium sized beads, then have some small beads, either 4mm or seed beads. Bead on a towel with a nap, to keep the beads from rolling around. Create a design, and you are ready. Check out that website at About.com for instructions on how to attach the clasp to the wire using the crimps. And check for a youtube if you are a more visual learner...they have same great videos there.

I make alot of my own now. It's very addicting.
And it's starting to get expensive for me because I found a website called Fire Mountain Gems and they have tons of great stuff.

I've been making my own jewelry for years, and I teach jewelry making. Jewelry making is highly addictive and great fun! And I'll also be happy to answer questions about jewelry making.

I agree with the other posters: find bead shops near you. Find one that has a work area they allow patrons to use where you can use their tools after you purchase the materials (beading wire/thread, beads, clasp, crimps) at their store. Once you know you enjoy beading, you can invest in good tools!

The fire mountain gems website has free design ideas and online tutorials on beading.

Enjoy and post pictures of what you make so we can see! And other beaders/jewelry makers, post yours too. I'll be posting some to the gallery this weekend.

-- Susan

I apologize for not responding sooner. I do want to check out that store in Orlando and try it before buying everything. I don't know if it would be a good idea to take my 10 year old son with me. My DH is currently in DC and I don't have anyone to watch the kiddo.

Of course I have this impulsive side that wants to get started right now. I have saved the websites mentioned in my favorites.

:thanks: everyone! Hope you all are having a wonderful weekend making some fantastic jewelry!

Beware...It's totally addictive!

You can start small but before you know it you'll have loads of stuff, luckily it's all fairly small. Tip: get good storage at the start, it makes life easier.

A good magazine to look at is Step by Step beads or Bead Style. Sites like Beading Daily are good too.

Ya'll are going to get me in trouble with the DH.:laughing: I may break down try it without going to the store that helps me.

Of course, between all the shoes I bought this week, and what I just bought at WDW, I may have to wait until next month. At least stores like JoAnn's always have sales.

You guys are all fantastic! :cheer2:

I wanted to say thank you to everyone for the help and giving me some confidence to give this a try, here is my first necklace:

IMG_5022.jpg

IMG_5024.jpg

I plan on making a bracelet to match, just need to buy some more clasps.

:thanks:

Thats niceeeee I like it !! :) I love long necklaces !! if you have facebook you can make a request to my group and see some of mine .
Is Zulema Jewelry Designs

Thats niceeeee I like it !! :) I love long necklaces !! if you have facebook you can make a request to my group and see some of mine .
Is Zulema Jewelry Designs

I just sent a request.

Thanks everyone. I made a bracelet to match. Now, I need more beads, want to make more.:rotfl:It happened just like all of you said, I got addicted.

I agree, the initial will be expensive, but once you have the stuff the price goes down--especially as you buy the beads and resuse them, etc.

I've been beading for a while and have three totes filled of beading supplies. Im sure there are hundreds of dollars of beads in there, but I can create any bracelet, necklace or earring to match any outfit in a jiffy! It sure beats spending 50 dollars at Kohls or even through those magazine/book sales and only being able to wear it two or three times. This way you can make your jewelry to match more than just one outfit!

I make alot of my own now. It's very addicting.
And it's starting to get expensive for me because I found a website called Fire Mountain Gems and they have tons of great stuff.
I LOVE Fire Mountain Gems! That's an addicting book cataloge!!

I wanted to say thank you to everyone for the help and giving me some confidence to give this a try, here is my first necklace:
I plan on making a bracelet to match, just need to buy some more clasps.

:thanks:
WoW!! You did a fabulous job creating this necklace!! I LOVE it! Love the colors, love the large stone at the bottom. Just beautifully created!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter