John Lasseter Allegations

Verifiable facts to date:

1) John Lasseter is taking a leave of absence from Pixar after acknowledging "painful" conversations and unspecified "missteps."

2) The memo to his staff announcing the sabbatical coincided with The Hollywood Reporter story on his alleged misconduct.

3) The first paragraph in THR’s misconduct piece claims per their “sources” Lasseter made an unwanted advance towards Rashida Jones.

4) Today Rashida Jones denies the report John harassed her.

That’s all we know so far folks! This trial by tabloid magazines, especially when they’re first named source turns out to be total BS, is terribly cruel and unwarranted. The mindset of the stories must be true, or he wouldn’t have taken the time off, is a massive leap of condemnation, and one I hope everyone will avoid until more FACTS surface.

I said I always found John to be the extra friendly type. I’m not saying what he did was okay but I didn’t know about it. It was obvious he was a hugger and stuff like that.
Companies don't send important executives off into exile for 6 months for being an extra friendly hugger. They might send them for additional sensitivity training, but they don't send them away for 6 months.

Companies don't send important executives off into exile for 6 months for being an extra friendly hugger. They might send them for additional sensitivity training, but they don't send them away for 6 months.
Again you are missing my point. Before this news came out John was always known as a friendly type (hugger and such). I had no idea there was more and did not expect it just like everyone else. I am in no way saying that sexual misconduct is okay and that John will come back after this leave.

Again you are missing my point. Before this news came out Joh was always known as a friendly type (hugger and such). I had no idea there was more and did not expect it just like everyone else. I am in no way saying that sexual misconduct is okay and that John will come back after this leave.
Then I must be missing your point. Why does the overly friendly hugging stuff even matter if there's more? And I'm assuming there's more since they sent him off, even if just temporarily.

Then I must be missing your point. Why does the overly friendly hugging stuff even matter if there's more? And I'm assuming there's more since they sent him off, even if just temporarily.
I didn't there wasn't more. I said it was known he was a hugger or overly friendly before this news came out but now it seems he went further. I never once said I was okay with sexual misconduct nor did I ever say John should or should not be let go for this.

I didn't there wasn't more. I said it was known he was a hugger or overly friendly before this news came out but now it seems he went further. I never once said I was okay with sexual misconduct nor did I ever say John should or should not be let go for this.
I appreciate the clarification.

This... is a kinda semi-decent discussion point. What's the level of acceptable genius compared to level of harassment allegations? What if Walt grab a girl's "backside" while he was working on Steamboat Willy? Would we demand he be cast aside into the wilderness? Could you honestly say you would support losing the greatest creative, entertainment mind of the past 150 years?
Interesting point. I won't enter into the discussion of it (too scared - LOL) but VERY interesting and thought-provoking, @Tonyz !

This... is a kinda semi-decent discussion point. What's the level of acceptable genius compared to level of harassment allegations? What if Walt grab a girl's "backside" while he was working on Steamboat Willy? Would we demand he be cast aside into the wilderness? Could you honestly say you would support losing the greatest creative, entertainment mind of the past 150 years?

I always see it more as a question of: "Can you separate the art from the artist?" - can you appreciate the work of Diego Rivera, Orson Scott Card, Woody Allen, and now John Lasseter - while still thinking badly of the person (and each of those are on different levels, but trying to think of different medium)

Though I guess it all is about levels of privilege - are you able to overlook certain things to still enjoy what you want, or, because of your personal views and what you have personally experiences or seen unable to do that for some things?

Good points also, @TheMaxRebo . You and Tony are definitely making me think. I've always said one of my fave parts of these boards is the (hopefully friendly and respectful) debates that go on, and the posts that make me think about things/in directions I might never have otherwise!

Last edited:
You know what always irks me about these kind of things? We have a judicial system where people are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Even if Lasseter is found not guilty his name is now forever tarnished due to allegations that we don't know are substantiated or not. We should believe everyone who comes forward, however we shouldn't besmirch someone's character until they've had their day in court. I have no stake in this game or not, but sometimes it's guilty until proven innocent in the public domain. I will say in light of all of things going on, sexual harassment in any way shape or form is intolerable I always think what if it were my sister or my mother...sad women (and even men) have to endure this.

I can’t always count on you for posts like these... :cool2:
I actually have a t-shirt that ALWAYS get comments, and I LOVE wearing it! Donald - Looking VERY alarmed and embarressed., t-shirt says "Donald suddenly realizes he never wears pants". Not usually a huge "Donald" person, but LOVE that one! :) :)

But Launchpad wears pants? Totally can’t figure this out. It’s like Goofy and Pluto.
Oh yes, Nikki - I remember years ago - some Disney FANatics getting into a heated debate about whether Pluto and/or Goofy were characters, dogs, or pets. It was finally determined that Goofy was a "character" in his own right because HE wears pants, whereas Pluto is Mickey's PET (and a DOG) because he doesn't SMH. That was at LEAST an hour of my life I'll NEVER get back!

I actually have a t-shirt that ALWAYS get comments, and I LOVE wearing it! Donald - Looking VERY alarmed and embarressed., t-shirt says "Donald suddenly realizes he never wears pants". Not usually a huge "Donald" person, but LOVE that one! :) :)

Omg. That’s hysterical!!!

Oh yes, Nikki - I remember years ago - some Disney FANatics getting into a heated debate about whether Pluto and/or Goofy were characters, dogs, or pets. It was finally determined that Goofy was a "character" in his own right because HE wears pants, whereas Pluto is Mickey's PET (and a DOG) because he doesn't SMH. That was at LEAST an hour of my life I'll NEVER get back!

I’ve seen those debates too. They crack me up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter