***July check in 2020*** (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what do you guys all love about summer at DL? My family drives from Canada so driving through summer is a lot of fun!!! No snow storms!!! We have done 7 family trips so far, about once every 1.5 years. This year it will be 2.5 years so really hoping to get it in. We are driving with 7 of us in a van (me, Disney wife, 3 girls ages 5, 9, 10 and my MIL and FIL. Its a 23 hour drive so summer is much more enjoyable for the drive. As a teacher we only have so many times a year we can go. We have went in November (loved the Christmas decorations without huge crowds), went in spring break (never again, soooooo crowded) and the rest have been in summer.
We love
a.) long hours!!! We love starting really early (opening) as we are early risers and we get the most done in the morning. A little nervous how boarding groups have changed things. Was hoping they would be done by summer but who knows now.
b.) California heat - we love the nice summers. We hydrate lots (thanks to water bottle filling stations) and we spend afternoons in show and buildings when we can.
c.) Everything open. traditionally summer has very little in terms of refurbs!!! This is always a plus!!!
d.) TIME!!! As a teacher we have time to drive down, staying at a hotel on the way. Spending 10 nights in anaheim doing lots of fun stuff and driving up the coast playing at the beaches as we go!!! Its a win win!!!
So, what makes summer so appealing to you?
I love that it's warm. I don't do well in the cold, at all. I would never survive a winter in Canada lol. In the summer, since it's warm, I am willing to stay at night after the sun goes down and watch Fantasmic and fireworks. Sure it's cooler, but not cold. In the winter I rarely stay past sundown because the temperature drops too much for me to handle.

We’re exploring the possibility of postponing our Memorial Day trip to July. Depends on whether our timeshare will extend the expiration date on the phones we’re using (currently June 1).

Update from this week's MP "DLR Update" (3?30?20):
Correction
Last week we reported that a Disney had filed for a permit with the City of Anaheim to allow them to keep the Food & Wine Festival Marketplace booths in use through September 7, 2020. We speculated that Disney might be planning to extend the Food & Wine Festival, which is scheduled to run through April 21 but has been cut short due to the COVID-19 closure.
Well, we were wrong. While Disney did file for an extension, it was just for one piece of equipment, not all of the Festival Marketplace booths as indicated on the permit. Disney has given no indication that they are looking to extend the Festival beyond April 21.
We apologize for getting your hopes up.

I just took advantage of the deal being offered for the already booked vacation packages and have moved our May 3rd to May 8th trip over to July 19th to July 24th. We are booked at the Grand Californian. Only ended up seeing a $670 increase for the change in dates so I'll take that as a win considering the website shows a price difference of almost $3,000 without the special offer.

I just rescheduled our May trip to July 13-18 staying at the Disneyland Hotel. I am surprising my 9 and 6 year old. We have never been to Disneyland and are also going to be taking three days pre-Disney to see the Space Shuttle, Santa Monica Pier, and maybe Griffith Park. Anyone have other suggestions of “must see” around the LA area while we have a car ( will be dropping it off for the DLR part of the trip)
Aloha,

Considering the age of your children, in case you have not already done so, recommend to hit the parks using your daily EMH (SUN, MON, WED and FRI at DCA and TUE, THU and SAT at DL), return to DLH after lunch, enjoy the pool complex, nap and return to the parks at PM.

I just rescheduled our May trip to July 13-18 staying at the Disneyland Hotel. I am surprising my 9 and 6 year old. We have never been to Disneyland and are also going to be taking three days pre-Disney to see the Space Shuttle, Santa Monica Pier, and maybe Griffith Park. Anyone have other suggestions of “must see” around the LA area while we have a car ( will be dropping it off for the DLR part of the trip)
Some great ideas in this thread: DAY SIX Podcasts of Things to Do Around Disneyland.

Scheduled for July 27-30 for my daughter’s sweet 16th birthday. She’s been forgoing big birthday celebrations for the last 4 years to go to Disneyland so fingers crossed we will make.

We are booked for a special grad trip July 11 - 18. Really hoping that the Canadian government will allow travel by then.... I don't have to make a final decision about the trip until mid-May (when the balance of the cost is due) so just playing it by ear until then.

Well, I made flight reservations for over the 4th in case my Memorial Day trip gets cancelled. Haven't done hotel, yet because I'll have to jump through some hoops cancelling May and rescheduling because it's scheduled with timeshare points that expire June 1st.

We are still scheduled for July 19-25th. WDW veterans but will (hopefully) be my kids' first time at DL. I'm already bracing for cancellation but hoping for the best!

LA mayor is saying no large gatherings like sports or concerts will occur until 2021 at the earliest as well. Seems like a lot of California is starting to come to that same sentiment. Still have hope for our July trip but it is diminishing a bit as of late. :(

We’re due 22nd July, I’m resigned to the fact it’s not happening

hopefully reschedule for 2021

We are still scheduled for July 19-25th. WDW veterans but will (hopefully) be my kids' first time at DL. I'm already bracing for cancellation but hoping for the best!

Same for us - WDW vets, first time for all of us to DL, out dates are just one day off from yours. Keeping my fingers crossed!

We have July 19-21 booked at the Villas at the Grand Californian. The plan for that trip when I booked it last fall was to have an adults-only-wine-centric-fancy-drinks trip. Then the Food & Wine weekend we were supposed to start today with our teens didn't happen, and it looks like our Memorial Day weekend trip with the kids isn't going to be happening either. DNeice and DS were very disappointed to not get to eat all the F&W foods.

So ... if this one happens we'll be taking the teens. We'd be okay with a resort-only stay if the hotels & DTD are open and the parks aren't. Here's hoping!

We are locals booked for July 15-18. I doubt it will happen. We will be bummed but easy enough to reschedule.

We will be rescheduling for July 2021. I’m just imagining how busy next summer will be after the closure this year. But we will boldly go....🙂

We will be rescheduling for July 2021. I’m just imagining how busy next summer will be after the closure this year. But we will boldly go....🙂

Same here. Just canceled my Southwest flight and thankfully my travel credit now expires in Sept 2022 instead of Dec 2020, so i'll just re-book this trip sometime next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!