JULY W.I.S.H. Challenge - Summer of Positive Change

4Mickeys

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the July 2020 W.I.S.H. (We're Inspired to Stay Healthy) challenge!! - "Summer of Positive Change"

We're here to support each other with kindness as we each work on becoming or staying healthy during these trying times. Everyone is invited, and we're looking forward to catching up with regulars and welcoming newcomers! We have weekly volunteer hosts, and typically follow a Monday-Sunday format:

Motivation Monday,
Topic Tuesday,
WOOHOO Wednesday,
Thankful Thursday,
Free For All Friday,
Social Saturday &
Self-Care Sunday.

This Month's Hosts
Week 1 - July 1-5 @4Mickeys
Week 2 - July 6-12 @Summer2018
Week 3 - July 13-19 - @sjrec
Week 4 - July 20-26 - @MickeyMom76
Week 5 - July 27 - Aug 2 - @PollyannaMom

Thanks for filling up our hosting duties friends :)

Even our friend Mickey has undergone CHANGE over the years too ;)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am Sam joining in again from wintery Queensland Australia :wave2: In case we get new friends I am a 47 year old, solo mum to 3 teenagers DS19, DS16 and DD16. I work full time as a school based Occupational Therapist. I am working really hard to take control and try to reverse some chronic conditions as well as lose weight (for the vanity of it ;) ) I have hypertension, high cholesterol and now type 2 diabetes. This happened when I put everyone else first and didn't care enough about myself to value my health better -despite the competing goal to be around for my kids for well into their adulthood. Funny how - despite the best motivators and intentions we still get lost along the way.

So goals for this month for me:
  • At least 300 minutes of activity per week
  • Meal plan and shop for Keto/Low Carb eating
  • Drink water, water, water
  • Lose 4kg

I am going to woohoo my loss achievement for June and share an image from my scale app that shows the ups and downs of my journey last month.

FECA00F1-7CBA-4FA4-B97B-156D8D4FA8D4.png

Also that I was able to get a new modem today - it started off not so woohoo when my foot got tangled in the cord making our old modem slam into the tiles from the bench - it was a quick death - there was no getting it to turn back on. Considering we are on winter school break NOT a good time for no internet lol - so a big woohoo we were back on today 😂😂

I’m Sandy, happily retired in south central PA with my husband.

I am maintaining a 65-70lb weight loss nearly 20 years now. I go up a few pounds in the winter but manage to lose them again by the time warm weather comes around. I have to say, and I guess it’s my Woohoo for today, that I am really proud of myself for getting into losing mode last February and getting those holiday pounds off. I am also happy that I did not gain weight during these last three months-I like to cook and I like to eat-a dangerous combination! Checking in with all of you every day has been a big motivator and mood lifter during these unsettling times.

My goals for July are to maintain my weight, walk at least 5 days out of 7, and drink more water (64 oz).

Looking forward to another good month chatting with everyone!

Hi! For anyone new, I’m Nicole, I’m 49, and I post from Massachusetts, USA. :wave: My little family consists of DH, DS(19), and two spoiled cats.

My goals for July are to get back into my exercise routine (which slipped a bit at the tail end of June), improve on meal-planning, remember to drink enough water, and work on stress management!

My WooHoo for today is official plans made to see my honorary niece and nephew tomorrow. They are five, and I can’t wait! (We will be hanging out outside, so plenty of space to be safe.)

And I can host that last week of July/transition to August.

Hello, hello.

I'm Lizanne, a single lady of a "certain age" living in Seattle WA. I've been overweight to varying degrees most of my life, and have been at my heaviest the past couple of years. Back in March I joined Noom and have slowly and surely dropped 20 pounds, several of them more than once.

The past few weeks I've been focussed on stripping it back-to-the-basics, and I'm going to keep that as my theme for July.... the basics of walking on a regular basis, drinking my water, feeding my mind by reading and meditating regularly, and cooking really simple meals of a protein and side of veggies.

My other intention for July is to stretch in to summer. We're so far north that the days get really long, I like to call it the two-fer time of year because it feels like you get a second day of sunlight after work. I've been focussing on the evenings and not letting them slip away. Yesterday I got out for a "Sunday drive" at about 7:30pm. just to make sure I had out-of-the-house time

For actual July goals I'll go with:
Lose 4 pounds
Walk 100 miles
Try two new recipes

This is Ocean Shores, where my Sister lives and I'm headed to for 4th of July... she lives up the beach on the ocean/left side up towards the top of the picture. This is a pretty amazing part of the country to be in.

Last edited:

Forgot my Woohoos...

... it's a short work week this week!
... for the first time since early May, we are supposed to have sunshine over the weekend - the holiday weekend!
... I'm going out of town for the holiday! And it's my favorite road trip, starting with the ferryboat ride, which I always enjoy. I plan on getting to
the ferry dock super early, because I even enjoy waiting for the ferry.
... yesterday I moved my WDW park pass to my March 2021 dates, it cost more which doesn't make me happy as the resort also cost quite a bit more. But I figure this is going to be my last WDW trip for quite a while, so I'll do it up BIG.

Hello, Dearies, Happy Wednesday!

For anyone who doesn't know me, I am Joan, 45 with a 16-year-old and a 13-year-old, a husband, a menagerie of pets. We live in Maryland, close enough to the bay bridge to put me in a bad mood every Friday in summer when the whole world wants to go to the ocean or the nearby state parks. (Yes, even with everything going on, it's still happening...) You should always read my "Hello Dearies" in a Rumplestiltskin voice, but you can decide if he's being charming or creepy depending on whatever suits you... I fell out of watching Once Upon a time somewhere around the Hades episodes, but I loved the Mr Gold character in the early seasons...

Let's see, my goals for the month are to lose 5 lbs, which used to be easy, but lately, not so much... Also to drink 64 oz of actual water per day...I hate plain water,.. but I want to see if doing that for a month makes any difference in how I feel. Today I am going to meal-plan a dinner menu for the month, then work out my other meals around the shared family meals... It's funny, I usually meal plan every month EXCEPT summers... so I have all these old calendars, but none for June or July, and only half of one for August... I was hoping to just pull up an old schedule and tweak it, but NOPE. Oh well. For exercise, I am going to say walk 2 miles twice per week. That doesn't sound like much, but it is achievable and separate from the time I am working in the garden, which doesn't seem to be accomplishing much for me physically (emotionally, it's great!)

My Woohoos...
-The baby bunny is still doing well. I saw him drinking actual water out of his dish yesterday, so that's a big milestone. He gobbles his formula, but if he's drinking water and eating solids, it means we can start weaning him.

-I remembered to put the tarp over my she-shtent yesterday evening, just in case, which is good, because it did, in fact, rain... We camped out in the tent the other night, just to check that summer checkbox, but with that done, the plan is to do that space up as a short-term she-shed, just to give me a place to get away... I bought an inflatable sofabed to go in there, and I ran out an electrical cord for lights and a fan. DD13 is already campaigning for a pinterest-style actual she-shed, but I can't see me ever spending that kind of money. It's a nice dream, though, and this is a nice compromise using mainly things I already have.

-And I am about to go over to an old friend's house... well, her porch, anyway, for a socially-distanced visit. Her parents are moving to Michigan today, and they have always been close, so I'm going to help distract her and little girl from the facts. The plan is for them to spend summers in a retirement condo up north near their brothers and sisters, then winters down here near their kids, so it's not a forever-thing, exactly, but the little girl has been very close with her Grammy, and it's going to be an adjustment for all of them... At least with the social distancing of the past few months, they had already stopped seeing each other every single day, and she can look forward to them coming back when the weather cools.

Hi! I’m Cristin from PA. Kindergarten teacher, wife, mother of boy/girl twins and a black lab.

My goal for July is to lose weight. I’ll say 5 pounds, but honestly I’m hoping for more. I’ll continue with my walk/run/bike to Outer Banks goal as my exercise. I’m also looking into a new Beachbody workout that comes out in July. I’ll continue to track my food using MyFitnessPal.

My big woohoo is that today I celebrate being a mom for 16 years! Yes, I have boy/girl twins that just turned 16 today and they both passed their permit test. So this should be fun...

Hi! I'm April - mother of a 15 yo DD and a 13 yo DS.

My goal for July is to lose weight. Hey @MickeyMom76 and @Zhoen - it's the 5lb club!!!!! What am I going to do to get there - track daily, 64+ oz of water daily, sleep 7 hours a night. Get exercise 5 days a week. I'll also continue to track my food using MyFitnessPal.

My big woohoo is that today my daughter comes home from visiting her dad!

Good morning everyone... I saw this message and thought it is so important right now :) Share something this week that you have been thankful for that fits with this message - did you just get lost in a moment, really found a positive experience or connection, laughed out loud at something or just loved a special moment either on your own or with someone else...

I am thankful for
  • a moment in my day to make space to visit my mother today - I dropped DD to the shops and went over to see mum - dad was at my place helping DS build a desk for his room. Usually mum and I or mum the kids and I will get her out to shops and spend some time together - but with all the stay at home and mum being immune compromised she has been cooped up and it has been hard getting over to see her. So - it was a nice visit just the 2 of us
  • DD16 and I laughing on the couch tonight watching celebrity goggle box - I don't know why we have so much fun watching other people watch tv - but we do :rotfl:
  • Looking for photos today to post a birthday message to one of my longest friends - 25 years of friendship many ups and downs for us both - fun to look back at our younger selves and think about the crazy things over the years.

Last edited:
And I can host that last week of July/transition to August.

Thank you :)

My WooHoo for today is official plans made to see my honorary niece and nephew tomorrow. They are five, and I can’t wait! (We will be hanging out outside, so plenty of space to be safe.)

Hope you enjoyed your visit :)

This is Ocean Shores, where my Sister lives and I'm headed to for 4th of July... she lives up the beach on the ocean/left side up towards the top of the picture. This is a pretty amazing part of the country to be in.

Looks amazing - hope you have a wonderful weekend with your family :)

My big woohoo is that today I celebrate being a mom for 16 years! Yes, I have boy/girl twins that just turned 16 today and they both passed their permit test. So this should be fun..

HaHa welcome to the 16 year old twin club! Once you start teaching them to drive let me know who you think does better .... DD is taking to it very well - I feel quite comfortable with her and she seems to just listen, follow directions and correct quicker than her twin brother (and her older brother from when he learned) - for some reason my boys are both a bit more nervous about it and they don't respond to instruction as quickly resulting in me repeating and getting louder as I go (hehehe) - DS16 is not all that happy - he thought driving would be easier. Also, this is when it seems the friends in their groups have really stepped up the wanting to try alcohol. At least my two are talking to me and not trying to hide anything (unlike a few of their friends). Mine are in year 11 and so it is full steam ahead preparing for senior year and I don't know they have just taken a maturity turn the last few months (well... for some things anyway).

Hi! I'm April - mother of a 15 yo DD and a 13 yo DS.

Welcome to July's thread April :) Great goals - looking forward to chatting this month :)

Digging deep for some thankfuls, since this has been an emotionally rough week...

... a couple days ago I cut some flowers from the garden and have a little bouquet at my desk. Not sure why but I rarely cut my own flowers, so this is a treat.
... truly thankful for a short work week, as I need it this week. I need to remember to book some more long weekends, so I don't cap out and stop earning PTO hours.
... thankful my feet are feeling better, they've been really good this week which is such a relief.

Three of us masked up the other day and drove an hour to visit another friend. We talked and laughed the whole way there-I am so grateful for their friendship.

Met my daughter and grandson at an ice cream shop yesterday so I could loan them one of our beach umbrellas. Had a nice visit outside and had ice cream for lunch!

Starting to feel like summer! Had corn and cooked on the grill last night. Very good for my mental health.

Last edited:
I'm Summer, 55 years old, but I have a 25 year-old brain. I live in coastal Connecticut, an hour outside of NYC. I'm asthmatic and about 60 pounds overweight. I also have high blood pressure in the doctor's office. In the winter, I lost 20 pounds on Noom, which I love. During the pandemic, I have managed to maintain my weight loss within about 5 pounds, which is a minor miracle because the first full month of it, I stress-ate like it was my job. I teach Pre-K 4 in an inner city public Pre-K-8th grade school. I am on summer vacation from teaching through distance learning and have adapted to it quite well considering that I teach young children. In the fall, I will either go on FMLA or continue distance teaching with students who have health issues...still waiting to hear from my union and HR about that. I have a daughter who is 22 and is currently quarantined at home from her job at Lord & Taylor, but her store may be opening back up soon. She is a Stand-up Comic and Actress. Auditions are non-existent, so she performs her stand-up on YouTube. I'm married to a 61 year-old essential worker, and by the grace of God, he has avoided getting Covid19.

My Woo Hoo from yesterday is that I am more motivated right now than I have been in a VERY LONG TIME.
I can really picture myself actually getting to goal weight this time. I had a dream of myself looking in the mirror wearing one of my tight pencil skirts that I owned in my 20's, looking fabulous. I have never had a dream like this before. I guess my brain is on board now!

My goal is:
Lose 5 pounds this month

In order to reach my goal, I will:
Follow Noom
Exercise for 25-30 minutes a day 5-7 days a week
Continue to cut back on sugar
Skip dessert

Last edited:
Thankful Thursday

At night, we have been watching the show, "Impractical Jokers" and laughing so hard that I have been running to the bathroom. These guys, or idiots as I like to call them, are so hilarious. I'm thankful for those moments of laughter because laughter is the best medicine.

Thankful Thursday - human connection

I had a great visit with the little ones yesterday, and then a planned “drop by to chat in the yard” for today turned in to dinner last night at DH’s parents’. It was certainly different than pre-pandemic, but still really nice to chat with them.

Free-for-all-Friday:

You’re right about the 4th. I’m not into it at all this year. Normally by now, I’d have put a few decorations around the house, done my nails in some wacky red, white, and blue way, and be looking forward to the town fireworks. But I’ve just kind of been ignoring it this year.

I’m not sure why. I was all into “alternate Easter” but this holiday just snuck up on me, and I haven’t figured out a appealing way to adapt it.

I am thoroughly enjoying “Christmas in July” on the Hallmark channels though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!