Dismeet in the Smokies 2021! Y'all Come!

Choosing a name for our upcoming trip!

• Dismeet in the Smokies 2021

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Rocky Top Dismeet 2021

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Pigeon Forge Dismeet 2021

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Dosmeet in the Mountains 2021

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dis Mountain Meet 2021

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Country Bear Vacation Hoedown 2021

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tiggerdad

I don't always get distracted but whe...SQUIRREL!
So we'll get this show officially on the road. We have recently wrapped up our Dismeet at the Holy Land which was Fort Wilderness and a good one it was considering the monumental obstacles that faced us all in 2020. Hopefully 2021 is going to be better for all of us.

For this meet up the usual presiding judge @bama_ed has decided to lay down his gavel for the time being and I have agreed to try and head this one up. So, all be seated.
judge.gif

After some discussion the time frame the majority seemed to favor a late spring early summer time and thus the week of June 7th has been the preferred time.

UPDATE:
THE ACTUAL DISMEET DAY AT THE CAMPGROUND WILL BE JUNE 7TH at 5:30pm at PaHunter's site 47.

Location was good discussion, and several good campgrounds came up but finally it boiled down to personal experience and several of you had that experience at Pine Mountain RV in Pigeon Forge, TN. This is the link to the website:

https://pinemountainrvpark.com/
A map of the campground:
pine-mountain-rv-park-pigeon-forge-tn-map.png

Updated site bookings as of April 10th, 2021
Screenshot_2021-04-10 Dis Camper8 pdf.png

The booking window from what I was told is 6 months from the planned departure date. This will vary for each of us and inevitably some of us will come in sooner and leave later than others so I will get some figures together on booking windows. A helpful link to help you determine your booking window is here:
https://www.calendar-12.com/days_between_dates
Also, some of us will have different ideas of the sites that we might want to get. I was told that @PaHunter will be able to park his rig in the parking lot at no extra charge. There is offered discount for first responders and military of 10% here as well. @friendofeeyore there are two cabins on the property as well. Also, across the street is a Mainstay Suites that has access to their pool included with the campground since the same folks own both locations.

I'll update this first post with links to more information on the RV park and I'll post when I've added any new content to this opening post.

Lots of us have experience in that area of Tennessee and I'm interested in hearing about some of your ideas for places to eat, things to do, and routes you'll be taking.

LOTS more to come!

Link to Gatlinburg, TN. Use dropdown menu on right to access the menu
https://www.gatlinburg.com/
Link to Pigeon Forge, TN
https://www.mypigeonforge.com/
The jewel of this whole trip is of course The Great Smoky Mountains National Park
https://www.nps.gov/grsm/index.htm
Planned Activities For the Dismeet Week
June 6th - Open invite for hiking trails in Great Smoky Mountains

Place: Elkmont
Time: Morning currently planning leaving around 0730
June 7th - Open invite for hiking trails in Great Smoky Mountains
Place: Alum Cave Bluffs - paring area on Newfound Gap Road. About 9 miles outside Gatlinburg. This one is popular, so earlier the better.
Time: Morning currently planning leaving around 0700

June 7th - Dismeet Potluck Dinner
Place: @PaHunter will host on site 47
Time: Plan on gathering around 530pm. Will have time to introduce each other and families and I'd like opportunity to address the group. Afterwards we'll begin dinner. There was an interest in an RV tour. I figure folks will be cooking and all beforehand so likely after dinner will plan to proceed
Volunteered menu and supplies:
Pahunter - "The Host With the Most" - serving ground
Tiggerdad - Zingers for dessert (just because it's funny), disposable plates and bowls
Tripleb - Pulled pork brisket and BBQ sauce
BamaEd - Fried yardbird and potato salad
Tigger92662 - Frozen Margarita, bacon wrapped smokies, and cold salad
BenitaN - Chicken crockpot dish
FtW Mike - John Ebert Chicken (why would you name a chicken John?)
Garneska - Green veggies
GA WDW Fan - BBQ meatballs
Teamubr - Toasted Ravioli and gooey butter cake
JETS70 - Baked beans and dessert
2goofycampers - Garden salad, dressing, dessert, and ham
Bishoparc - Baked beans and nanner pudding
Rocketmom - Coleslaw, plastic cutlery and napkins
Himand her818 - Tea, a must have!

June 8th - Open invite for hiking trails in Great Smoky Mountains
Place: Charlies Bunion - Begins at parking area at Newfound Gap.
Time: Morning currently planning around 0730
June 8th: - Smores night at Bishoparc site 61 at 8pm

June 9th - Open invite for hiking trails in Great Smoky Mountains

Place: Grapeyard Ridge Trailhead Directions: From Light #3 in downtown Gatlinburg, which is located at the intersection of Parkway and 321,head East on 321 out of town. You will drive east on 321 for approximately 6 miles. When you see a Hungry Bear BBQ restaurant on the left, prepare to turn right. The entrance to Greenbrier is marked by a Great Smoky Mountain National Park entrance sign on the right, but it is easy to miss. After making the turn off of 321 on Greenbrier Road, you will drive approximately 3.1 miles and reach the trailhead.
Time: Morning currently planned, no specific time as of yet

June 10th - Open invite for hiking trails in Great Smoky Mountains
Place: Abrams Falls Trailhead, located at back half of Cades Cove Loop
Time: Morning currently planned, no specific time as of yet

Last edited:
It'd be impossible for us to make it, unfortunately. I'll be travelling for work and FW trip starts 2 weeks later...I don't have that much vacation to blow.

But, I've enjoyed stumbling into this group and the welcoming feeling you provide. Like this year's DISMeet thread, I'll follow with intense envy and enjoy the ride from the La-Z-Boy. Maybe next time.

It'd be impossible for us to make it, unfortunately. I'll be travelling for work and FW trip starts 2 weeks later...I don't have that much vacation to blow.

But, I've enjoyed stumbling into this group and the welcoming feeling you provide. Like this year's DISMeet thread, I'll follow with intense envy and enjoy the ride from the La-Z-Boy. Maybe next time.
Stay tuned, PTP.

Tigger92662 (Joe) and I are still thinking of ideas for next year's Midwest DIS Meet. You are only across the state from me (StL area). There are several of us in Illinois and far SW Wisconsin that have been getting together the past few years. You will definitely be invited.

In on Page 1 :banana:
Me too!

j

I drove through Pine Mountain RV yesterday just to refresh my memory since it has been several years since I stayed there. Definitely should try to get the sites on the creek. They seem to have more room, trees and landscaping. I would avoid the pull through sites if possible, they are tight.

Looking at the calender we will probably be coming in on the 3rd and staying thru the 12th or 13th. Have to find things to do, would like to see the Titanic museum. Other than that, not sure what else is there. So we will see, sure DW will have an idea or two.

If God willing, I will be there. I belong to Good Sams so hopefully I can use the 10% discount. Just let me know when I need to make reservations. My best friend is going to travel with me, since I get lost in a closet.

Looking at the calender we will probably be coming in on the 3rd and staying thru the 12th or 13th. Have to find things to do, would like to see the Titanic museum. Other than that, not sure what else is there. So we will see, sure DW will have an idea or two.

Lots! Touring the park just riding the roads can easily take up 3 days. More if you're into hiking. There's Dollywood to take up a day. The dinner shows are great. We've done Dixie Stampede countless times. Gatlinburg exploring is easily another day of walking the strip.

In the next couple days/weeks, tiggerdad, give us the EXACT lowdown on when we can book this RV resort. I recall something about "6 months" but I am hyper-sensitive to dates/deadlines given my training about responding to WDW's 500 day booking window.

No rush but when you can. I think it was based on departure/going home day?

Bama Ed

In the next couple days/weeks, tiggerdad, give us the EXACT lowdown on when we can book this RV resort. I recall something about "6 months" but I am hyper-sensitive to dates/deadlines given my training about responding to WDW's 500 day booking window.

No rush but when you can. I think it was based on departure/going home day?

Bama Ed

Ed, I'm glad you asked as I was just getting ready to post this up.

The policy I was told is that the booking window starts at 6 months from your departure date. Now, for each of us this is going to be different depending on when you are planning on leaving. In my case I am likely looking at a departure date of June 12. My arrival date I'm not set on but likely the 5th of June. OH NO! This means math!!

Don't worry kiddies, I got you covered. Just go to this website, put in current date and the departure date and it'll tell you how far away it is.

https://www.calendar-12.com/days_between_dates
For instance, going from today I am 227 days away, or 32 weeks and 3 days, or 7 months and 15 days. During that time there are 156 working days which comes out to 1248 hours assuming an 8 hour workday. 71 non-working days which includes 32 Saturdays, 32 Sundays, and 7 federal holidays.

Oh, and 1 more national championship for Bama. Swear to you, that's what it said...

Knowing this I will be honest with all of you, I'm gonna start about 2 weeks in front of this and try daily and as soon as I hit jackpot I'll be sure to post. I'm gonna add this link onto the first post as well.

Oh, and 1 more national championship for Bama. Swear to you, that's what it said...

x-files-i-want-to-believe-brittni-deweese.jpg

I will put the 2021 DISMeet reservation call on my Christmas Day "to-do" list.

Thanks, Ed

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!