Just back 9/20- a few thoughts on the current status of the parks

I always try to go bagless at the parks. That seems more necessary right now.
But your can't take your phone on Hulk and Rip Ride Rocket, right? And you can't get a virtual line or make a mobile order without your phone. So how can you avoid those locker? I would love to figure out how to do it because that is the only thing I bring besides the lanyard with ticket, room key, credit card and ID.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, those rides are kinda the exception...
We will either skip, or maybe ride separate. Game time decision.

I'm presuming the answer is no, but does anyone know if it is permissible to visit other resorts at this time? We are also staying at Royal Pacific, but thought we might like to check out Hard Rock for a future stay.

We stayed at HR in July and walked over to RPR one night to check it out. We had no problems whatsoever. The only thing I think you can't do is pool hop.

I don't have any old Hard Rock glasses, but I have several of the taller souvenir glasses from PBH, RPR, and Sapphire Falls. I wonder if they are all like that now? And regarding the quote below, did they check that you were staying at HRH each time you entered, or just did your temp?

I was thinking of eating at other resorts, hmmm.
No idea if the other hotel glasses are like that, I have the tall hurricane style from RPR from a previous trip a few years ago and was expecting the same, was surprised it was so small. It was also mostly ice and not very much rum at all, definitely not worth the 18 bucks.

They never checked that we were staying there per say, but I had luggage with me when entering the first time at the main entrance, then we entered from the water taxi entrance and had to use my room key to open the door.

We did however go to Disney springs one night and reentered through the main entrance and only had to show our colored wristband.

Re pool bar drinks: RPR is still using their refillable hurricane style plastic cups. $15 for 1st drink then $10 for refills. Yikes the $18 HRH drink price would break the bank for us! We’re here at RPR for 12 nights so adds up even if drinking just 2 each per day.

we found our masks fogged up our 3D glasses, the 3D rides were a huge pain to us with masks.

Just wanted to reply for for a specific tip for this, as a glasses wear, that you have to essentially wear your glasses on top of your mask (a little down on the bridge of your nose) to prevent fogging. I do this with my regular glasses. It even works when I have both regular and sunglasses on. It doesn't have to be too much, might need to experiment to get it right if you're not use to it. However, that's how I stop myself from fogging my glasses.

Popping in to say I agree with @ruthies12 completely on crowd levels. We're staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek right now and decided to pop over to IOA on Friday after check-in since it was on the way to Costco. It felt very different from our July trip. The family in front of us waiting to be directed to the x-ray machines in Citywalk weren't wearing their masks properly and nothing was said to them by security. I think the TMs are (understandably) tired of enforcing masks so there's a lot more noncompliance as well as larger crowds due to the ticket deals. We wound up grabbing dinner at the 3BS, getting some cheap candy from the JPRA store, and leaving due to the crowds. We had talked about going back this evening since they extended park hours but decided not to. We check into RPR for a night at the end of the week so we'll see how things are then.

Popping in to say I agree with @ruthies12 completely on crowd levels. We're staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek right now and decided to pop over to IOA on Friday after check-in since it was on the way to Costco. It felt very different from our July trip. The family in front of us waiting to be directed to the x-ray machines in Citywalk weren't wearing their masks properly and nothing was said to them by security. I think the TMs are (understandably) tired of enforcing masks so there's a lot more noncompliance as well as larger crowds due to the ticket deals. We wound up grabbing dinner at the 3BS, getting some cheap candy from the JPRA store, and leaving due to the crowds. We had talked about going back this evening since they extended park hours but decided not to. We check into RPR for a night at the end of the week so we'll see how things are then.
With Florida lifting restrictions I suspect Universal will get busier.
They will continue to enforce their own restrictions as much as they can but I think it will get laxer and laxer.
What is most frustrating is with the timing of all this they probably could have had HHN, but hindsight is 20/20.. ugh 2020.

What is most frustrating is with the timing of all this they probably could have had HHN, but hindsight is 20/20.. ugh 2020.

Unfortunately, they could not predicted it, but it's probably good things are the way that they are. Just because it's Phase 3 doesn't mean it's necessarily a good idea. Also, we still do not even know if things will be remain in Phase 3, or might pull back, or even if things might not get pulled back cases could dramatically rise for all we know.

They still have two haunted houses on the weekends and I think I heard that soon they'll eventually have it open more regularly. Also, they're open to all guests during the day and those who may not go regularly to HHN (for whatever reasons) might get a little bit of a taste of it and could potentially be inclined to go to HHN in the future depending how they like the attractions as well.

Besides, they already babysitting during the day, add scare actors, darkness, and alcohol. It just would make things more complicated.

We did RP in August and they were doing refillable mugs. Basically they just got you a new mug. That would definitely knock HRH out of the running for my anniversary trip. That and having to walk around the resort that way. My husband was so frustrated about not being able to use the walking path through the pool at RP when it would storm and close the pool. HR sounds worse. Is it really that bad to walk around the resort to the front at hard rock?

We did RP in August and they were doing refillable mugs. Basically they just got you a new mug. That would definitely knock HRH out of the running for my anniversary trip. That and having to walk around the resort that way. My husband was so frustrated about not being able to use the walking path through the pool at RP when it would storm and close the pool. HR sounds worse. Is it really that bad to walk around the resort to the front at hard rock?

Coming back from the parks we always entered on the ground floor door closest to the water taxis. They have someone there taking temps so if you use the water taxis that would be your closest door anyway. If you walk the path back like we did then it is a little further depending on where your room is and which door you would have gone in otherwise. How "bad" it is is subjective I suppose. I didn't find it to be a huge deal, but after the TM told me that it did change my room location request prior to check in so I thought others would want to know as well, especially if you call ahead with room requests like I do.

I don't know which doors they are using at RPR but I would be willing to bet it is the same deal with only a few doors for entry, I imagine they are doing it all the resorts so you may want to prepare yourself for not being able to use the door closest to your room for re-entry at night.

We just returned and found it to be busy. We were thankful for express pass and needing to take lots of breaks. Those masks were hotter than we expected and it did not help my son got a heat/mask rash all over his face. We had to sit quite a bit and drink water and a few beers for me! We had a blast though and so thankful we took the plunge and went!

We also focused on some new things like we tried the putt putt at city walk. Don’t know why we missed it before but we enjoyed it! The scarecrow game at Universal was fun, the Irish scarecrow was our favorite and my kids trick or treated throughout Islands of Adventure. We loved the haunted houses and my 9 year old went through it and I thought it was a great intro to haunted houses since they couldn’t jump out. She loved them! The tribute store looked amazing! I think Universal did an amazing job bringing in Halloween to the parks, I wish they could have had HHN, but I think they did awesome all things considered. I enjoy walking through the houses without the conga line.

I would suggest you either eat at off times or make reservations just in case. There were limited options on city walk mon-wed night and the lines for food could get long at peak times during the day at the park

We did try the crepes and they were so so, way too much Nutella and not enough brisket in the savory one.

Three Broomsticks is our favorite quick service and we could walk right in at 10:30 for lunch. They no longer serve breakfast.

The mobile app is a mess and they need to fix it. Really is no excuse for a poor mobile app experience, they have the resources to get that working better with more robust features like customization of menu items.

We stayed at hard rock and we loved the proximity to the parks, but we had the misfortune of getting a pool view room. I did not book it and should have asked when we checked in bc it was so loud. We could hear the words to every song being played in the room when the music was playing by the pool. I love rock n roll and I love music, not sure if I love being able to sing with it at 9:30 at night after a long day at the parks.

We went to Volcano Bay for the first time and LOVED it. We rented a cabana and I took a much needed nap one afternoon. Really is a lovely park and felt great to cool off. My kids loved all the rides and lazy river and fast river are so much fun. That is on our must do from now on!

One last thought; if you are on the fence or concerned around safety, please don’t go. It is impossible to social distance everywhere in the park, it is crowded in walkways. Not everyone is wearing their masks 100 percent “compliant”. I had to rip mine off and find a shady spot when I got motion sickness. FYI I haven’t gotten motion sickness in years so I am guessing the heat and mask and riding roller coasters combined did me in one afternoon. Once I cooled off I was fine and put my mask back on, but please be aware that if seeing noses or seeing someone drinking while walking makes you anxious, I would wait.

We felt great and never had any issues and seemed like everyone was having a great time. Cast members were awesome and friendly. They doused you with hand sanitizer and there were dispensers everywhere in the park. I have never seen the bathrooms so clean.

I am already sad to have returned to reality. If you have any questions let me know. I will try to answer them. Overall we had an amazing time and Universal did not disappoint!

Three Broomsticks is our favorite quick service and we could walk right in at 10:30 for lunch. They no longer serve breakfast.

We have the Harry Potter package which includes breakfast at Three Broomsticks. Wonder if they'll offer lunch instead then?

We have the Harry Potter package which includes breakfast at Three Broomsticks. Wonder if they'll offer lunch instead then?
I personally have no idea, maybe someone else does. They just told us no breakfast is being offered right now. Lunch is really good and we had no problems eating it at 10:30 with it being quiet inside.

My 9 year old loves the rib platter and my mom and I share the chicken platter since it is a lot of food. My 11 year old son can eat an entire chicken platter though. Oh and having a dragon scale beer at 10:30 was always a treat. For some reason we like the frozen butter beer here better than anywhere else. The carts frozen never comes out as frozen; I am speculating because of the heat. Or maybe just the atmosphere makes them taste better?

I'm presuming the answer is no, but does anyone know if it is permissible to visit other resorts at this time? We are also staying at Royal Pacific, but thought we might like to check out Hard Rock for a future stay.
I'd say yes, we never had to show a room key coming or going from the RP.

I stayed at RP and took the boat to HR for lunch one day this month
No one questioned me in the lobby there

Oh yeah, never thought to comment on that, but as the others said @easyas123 you can definitely visit the other resorts. This is coming from someone who visited someone else at a resort to have lunch and wasn't even a guest at any of the resorts at the time. I just took the boat over. All they do is check your temp and then you have to put a wrist band on.

Last edited:
wrist bands are giving for each day correct? Meaning do you have to go through check returning from parks after you already went through in the am?

wrist bands are giving for each day correct? Meaning do you have to go through check returning from parks after you already went through in the am?
Yes, they do a temp check and hand you a wrist band, which is sufficient for the rest of the day. Just show them the wrist band when you return to the hotel and walk right in.

I just watched a vlogger do a video on posted wait times versus real wait times. He was at US and he rode Gringott's and the Mummy. Gringott's was posted at 60 and it took him 90. (When we were there 90 minutes was the lowest I saw after rope drop for the entire day. One day it was at 200 minutes.) The Mummy was posted at 15 minutes and he walked on.
I'll say this, the Mummy was packed right off the bat everyday during our stay from 10/11-10/16. (We never saw it under 45 minutes.) The difference between the the crowds when we were there and the day he was there (which was likely this week on a weekday) were night and day. Not sure if we just picked a weird week or what, but those crowd levels this week were paltry in comparison to what we we were dealing with during our stay.
Just thought I'd let people know, as you just never know what you're going to get as far as crowds go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter