Just back! Brief thoughts on our dining experiences...

nkereina

Last chance to lose your keys.
Just back from 10 wonderful days at WDW! Thought I’d share my thoughts on the places we ate at. I did post this in the general dining forum, but wanted to post here too for anyone specifically looking for reviews. Feel free to ask any questions!

• Yak & Yeti lunch (AK) – I was not excited about this one as we always had done Tusker House, which I love. But I was pleasantly surprised. We had a great window seat on the second floor and service was good. The fare here isn’t my usual preference, but it was fine and made for a good break from the park.
  • Liberty Tree Tavern lunch (MK) – One of our favorite places, and this meal was definitely a highlight! We shared the Bill of Fare, and the ooey gooey toffee cake is easily one of my favorite things to eat at WDW. We had some bumps in service due to honest mistakes, but the server was very apologetic and made up for it. Can happen anywhere, any time.
  • Ohana dinner (Poly) – I had high expectations based on how popular this place is, but we were underwhelmed. The food was decent, but the place is chaotic and loud. The service was ok. Everything about it was just “meh” to us. We felt the same about breakfast here too. We love the Poly, but think Kona is the better choice there.
  • Garden Grill breakfast (Epcot) – Another highlight meal for us. The warm cinnamon bun was amazing, and the server was quick to bring us more of the items we wanted. Character interaction was fine, we never usually bother with the characters. Loved the rotation of the restaurant and being in our booth – it felt more private and less busy than most other restaurants at WDW. More relaxing.
  • Via Napoli dinner (Epcot) – We had eaten here once before in 2011 and had a good experience, but were a bit let down this time. We ordered two individual size pizzas and it took a solid 40 minutes for them to come out. It is a very busy place and I know most people are ordering pizzas so I understand, but not a good place to eat if you’re in a hurry or starving. The pizza was good, but pretty basic. Nothing to write home about. We’d likely return, but not for a while. There's other places we'd rather try before returning.
  • Baseline Taproom (DHS) – Got drinks here twice and the pretzel. Really good addition to DHS. Everything was good and it was nice to hang out in the patio and people watch. It was quite busy both times we went, but they do have some communal tables so there’s more seating than it appears.
  • Homecomin’ dinner (DS) – My favorite meal of the trip! I got the fried chicken with all white meat, mac & cheese, and the cheddar biscuit. Everything was delicious. Our server was incredible. Will definitely return next trip – can’t wait to try more there!
  • Crystal Palace breakfast (MK) – IMO, this breakfast has the most unique food offerings. The puffed French toast, breakfast pizza, breakfast lasagna. All of it was very good. The characters here were slow to come around and it took us a while to get seated. But we’d definitely return.
  • Beaches & Cream lunch (Beach Club) – One of our favorites, so I can understand why it’s grown in popularity. ADRs can be hard to come by because there’s literally 9 tables in the place, but we ate there at 12pm on a weekday and there was a lot of empty seats. I’m sure they could have accommodated a walk-up at that time. The No Way Jose is amazing, and the lunch fare was perfect. We rode the bus here from AK and then took the boat to DHS, so it’s an easy place to take a break at if you’re park hopping and visiting DHS or Epcot afterwards.
  • Cantina de San Angel QS dinner (Epcot) – We split chips and guac and we each got tacos. Food was very good. But we made the mistake of eating here on a Saturday night during Food & Wine, so the seating area was a madhouse. The CM directing us to the line to order told us they could not guarantee a seat after we ordered. We found someone getting up luckily, but it would not have been easy with a larger group. There were also many rude people loitering and chatting after they had eaten, taking away seats from those who were walking around with trays of food.
  • Polite Pig QS dinner (DS) – First time eating here and we’d return again! Not the world’s best BBQ, but it’s a nice addition to Disney Springs. It was quite busy, but there were open seats at the bar where you can order food off the same menu.
  • The Edison drinks only (DS) - Stopped in for a drink and to check the place out around 8pm on a Thursday. The upstairs bar and downstairs bar were both full, but we did find a small high top table next to the bar where we sat. It did have a server but seating was first come first serve. Drinks were pricey and service was slow, but the drinks were good and it was an interesting atmosphere to check out. The woman walking around on stilts was a unique touch and the band added to the atmosphere. The menu was decent, but overall, I'm not dying to run back for a meal here.

Thanks for sharing! I love the quick short but sweet dining reviews! I keep saying I have to try Yak and Yeti.... and Homecomin’ was our best meal last trip too.

I must have hit Homecomin on a bad night. I wasn't impressed at all with the food, and had better at 50's PT which was a shocker.

I must have hit Homecomin on a bad night. I wasn't impressed at all with the food, and had better at 50's PT which was a shocker.

What did you get, out of curiosity? DH got the fried chicken sandwich and fries, which was a mistake. He liked it, but I tried it and it was fine but nothing special. IMO, their specialty items here are best - fried chicken, mac & cheese, and biscuit were the standouts for me!

Liberty Tree allows sharing of the bill of fare? I thought you couldn’t share because it’s all you can eat. I always thought it’d be great to share.

Liberty Tree allows sharing of the bill of fare? I thought you couldn’t share because it’s all you can eat. I always thought it’d be great to share.

I guess I worded that poorly. We were each charged for the Bill of Fare, but they bring it out on one platter because its served family style. It is all you can eat, but each person is charged for it. In the past when we have eaten there, DH has gotten the Bill of Fare while I got something else, and they were very open about bringing us extra items if we wanted them so I could have some of his too. I think they were fine with that since I ordered a separate entrée. That's happened twice for us, but I'm sure its server dependent.

I guess I worded that poorly. We were each charged for the Bill of Fare, but they bring it out on one platter because its served family style. It is all you can eat, but each person is charged for it. In the past when we have eaten there, DH has gotten the Bill of Fare while I got something else, and they were very open about bringing us extra items if we wanted them so I could have some of his too. I think they were fine with that since I ordered a separate entrée. That's happened twice for us, but I'm sure its server dependent.

Oh ok. That makes sense. Thx.

You certainly had a full dining schedule.

Yak & Yeti - we found the food underwhelming. Which is too bad because we loved it last time - we should have went to Flame Tree BBQ.

Via Napoli - we each got a small pizza and should have shared one it was so big. The crust was fantastic.

Homecomin - our favorite meal of our 7 day trip also. His friend chicken was so buttery, juicy, with a crisp skin.

We have yet to try the other restaurants. Some of our other favorites:

Raglan Road for their Fish and Chips and Bread Pudding.

House of Blues for their fried chicken.

Frontera Cochina.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter