• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back - dining reviews

Cinderella

DIS Veteran
This trip was for seven nights, for the second half of our honeymoon. We didn't plan lots of meals because of the food and wine festival, and also because we wanted to do a couple of walk ins.

Here are some basic reviews - with a fuller review of V and A's later. Just to give you an idea on whether my recommendations are right for you, there were two of us on the trip (both adults). We like excellent quality, and not too big portions, and we like to alternate these types of meals with plainer food.

Best dinner of the week: Victoria and Alberts. Our dinner there was absolutely amazing. I had preciously eaten at V and A's about six or seven years ago, but I didn't like it then, as a) I was with the wrong person, and b) I was probably too young to appreciate fine dining then. The food and service was outstanding. We also had the wine pairings. I was a little unsure about doing the wine pairing, as the portions are huge. But, we didn't drink anything before dinner, and I asked to have smaller servings of wine, and left some of the ones I didn't like as much and they were fine.

California Grill came a close second. The food there was outstanding, as was the service. The servers at CG are always happy to advise on dining choices. We split a sushi with spicy sauce, and a flatbread to begin with. The sushi was fantastic, but we regretted having both - the sushi would easily have been enough for two.

We had halibut next in a citrus sauce. It was good, but we were so full that we couldn't eat it, as we really wanted to try the dessert. The dessert was the best part of the meal - it was a butterscotch and banana concoction, and i don't remember the name, but i will post it here when i dig out the recipe, as it was the best dessert i've ever had.

We also got a walk in at the Yachtsman Steakhouse. The steaks were excellent. They weren't served to fancily, just some mashed potatoes and veg on the side. The server was a great guy from Israel. The wine he recommended was much better than the Chateauneuf du Pape we had at Chefs de France.

Chefs de France was a bit of a let down. I ate there a few years ago, and my experience this time round was entirely different. The food was very basic and nothing like you'd ever eat in a decent french restaurant. It wasn't bad food - it was just nowhere near as good as I remembered. And the whole atmosphere was just so canteen like.

Lunch at Fulton's crabhouse was the worst I've experienced in a long time. We had been looking forward to eating there - I'd enjoyed great meals there before. The server was a nice guy but the service was slow to virtually none existent. The worst thing however, was the food. We had to complain, as the crab cakes were so awful. Both were full of shell, but especially DH's - there were huge chunks in his - so bad he couldn't eat it. The server took his entree to the chef and they knocked it off the check. It seems that I was expected to eat smaller pieces of shell. The meal was still expensive, even though we were unable to eat our entrees. We skipped dessert and won't rush back.

We got a walk in at Donald's Breakfastosaurus. We didn't intend to do a character meal - as it was our first trip without kids, but we were hungry. The food - which was an all you can eat buffet was great - especially the little sausages. We'll definitely be back.

Kona cafe for lunch was very nice. I had the salad with the terranyaki beef and DH had a burger.

We got a walk in at the Turf Club. Portions were huge, service was not so great, and the food wasn't good quality. I was pleased when they got a full service restaurant at my favourite resort, but it will need to improve before we return.

Lastly, we ate at TGI Fridays, at the Crossroads, on our final evening. I know there are many of these in America, but our closest one in the UK is 60 miles away, and we love the place. They have a new appetiser which is battered green beans and a dip - it is amazing, but again it's sharing size.

Finally, we experienced some of the stands at the Food and Wine Festival - it was a great experience and we enjoyed everything we tried. I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting the Food and Wine Festival next year.

Hope these reviews help some of you with your trip planning. Restaurants change and come in and out of favour so much as WDW.

I too will say thanks for posting! And for your candor. I have a good friend in the UK and she LOVES Friday's as well and also, pretty far away from them. And she ALSO loves those green beans.
MMMM, I'm hungry! :)

i'm disappointed to hear that The Turf was not very good - we have reservations for dinner (for six people) in two weeks -- may I ask what you ordered and what your complaints were? It's getting so "late in the game" to find reservations for Thanksgiving week --- any other suggestions for moderately priced places over The Turf? (we are already eating at Grand Floridian Cafe, Artist Point, Cape May, Earl of Sandwich, Beaches and Cream and Japan) - Thanks!

Great reviews...please do share the dessert from the CG when you find the recipe, it sounds good!
I keep hearing about the fried green beans at TGIF, I'll have to try them soon.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter