Just back from 6/9-6/16 trip - strategies that we learned from

We were there over the same week as OP and never had an issue with mobile ordering. We used it at each park with great success. So don't be afraid to attempt it!

Thanks for letting me know - maybe that week was just a glitch.

Please tell me about the fans you mentioned in your Dealing with the heat paragraph.

Thanks!

I've used these fans before and they can be a lifesaver. (Can't remember which one, you'll notice there are dozens of the same fan on Amazon under different brands.)

This is another version that you can wear around your neck - not quite as much airflow, but you don't have to hold it, and this is another (bigger - if you don't mind looking like you're clearly wearing a fan, lol) version that I haven't tried. Clip on stroller fans also came in very handy. I agree about the cooling towels - I have tried about three different versions in the heat and none of them have blown me away, although I think the microfiber versions are a little better in humidity. No better than putting a damp towel on your neck, but they don't tend to heat up. Last but not least some people like the CoreGear mist sprayers (especially if you have a stroller to put them in,) although no one in my family likes getting wet so we didn't really use it - if you're not bothered by the mist it would be a good option though.

Edit: Just remembered, I think the neck fans are much cheaper (around $5) if you buy them at Wal-mart or Bed Bath and Beyond.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to write this report. It was very informative. Our trip is scheduled for August due to DGD starting kindergarten in September. I'm not looking forward to the heat. I was going to by frog togs but after reading your report I think I'll save my money for dole whips.

Great points!
We like our Fogg Toggs but agree they don't work as well with humidity. They can double as a towel and dry off arms/legs though if caught in rain lol! Although I carry a microfiber towel that folds up small enough to fit in a pocket- this is good for wipeomg sweaty necks or drying legs off after rain.

Great wait time on FoP standby! My middle DD and I got there for EMH on a Friday morning to do standby as she'd never seen full queue - waited 55 minutes.

Great report! We were there the same week and had much of the same reactions/suggestions as you! We loved Touring Plans, and I was constantly on it before and during the trip to adjust based on things that changed (like Big Thunder Mountain & Splash Mountain both being down at our "scheduled" times). That app & website really saved us so much time & stress!

We also noticed the afternoon thunderstorms and heat. We only had to put on our ponchos once though, since we had planned afternoon breaks because of the heat. That helped a lot. I did carry a hand-held fan with me one of the days, and I got overheated by 11 a.m. on our Animal Kingdom day. (I ended up taking a bus to the Animal Kingdom resort to look around while my family finished at the park.) I'd recommend doing anything outside before 10 or after 6 at night if you're sensitive to heat like we are. It was still a great experience - I looked at it as a whole vacation/resort experience rather than spending entire days at the parks, which is different than how we did it when we went in November before. I enjoyed reading about your trip!

Great report and THANK YOU! I agree with you -- I go to WDW every August for 12 years now and I have yet to see anyone care what anyone else is wearing! Everyone is too busy melting in the heat.

Couldn't agree more, and ditto. Especially June-August, you are drenched in sweat after 5 minutes of being outside. Comfy clothes and shoes are a must. I have literally never noticed or cared what anyone is wearing in the parks, nor do I care what anyone thinks of how we look.

I told my DH that some time in the future when we go to WDW again, I wouldn't mind staying the whole time at AKL and only going to parks for 2-3 days! Like...do 1 park day, take a day off, do another park day, take another day off. I don't think I'll do 3 WDW park days in a row again like we did this past week. I also never want to go in the summer again. It'll have to be at another time of year for sure. I live in the desert so I'm used to hot weather, but there's a huge difference between desert hot and Florida hot! I totally expected it, of course.

I’ve seen them advertised but never tried them. I guess they hold up well to the 10+ miles daily?
Well, they are called Go Walks because you know, they are walking fitness shoes. So yeah, they hold up to 10 miles a day.

Personally, I can't wear anything enclosed when there is daily rain. Nothing worse than wet shoes. Sandals only here. Don't give a flying fig what they look like though, only what they feel like on my feet. If they are comfy, I wear them.

Thanks for sharing your report.

Seriously, consider going another time of year. The heat in the summer in FL is no joke. We switched away from summer about 8 years ago and never looked back. I was so shocked the first time we went at the end if November. It makes for a completely different trip. It was actually pleasant outside. You don't have to run for the next air conditioned spot. You don't have to drink all the water or use all the sunscreen. I won't ever go in the summer again! Even though I'm a teacher and it makes sense to do so since I'm off. It's just that undesirable to me after having been at another time. Seriously consider it!

I'm surprised that the Polynesian allowed you to park there to eat at Captain Cook's. I thought you could only park there with a reservation at one of the table service places (or if staying there). How nice for you that you got to do this.

I am currently at work and I just had to log in so that I can give your posts a Like.

VERY informative and greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Great report. We go every August and I told my children this year I just can't do Animal Kingdom, the heat is over the top, no air movement, no breeze, no shade, just feels like an oven. Going to skip that park for the first time ever.

We do the total opposite. We definitely dress to impress (and people do notice what other people wear). Photopass pictures of the family in our “comfy” clothes wouldn’t make us happy. And my kids wouldn’t be caught dead wearing or being with me if I wore Tevas. To each their own.

Can't imagine who you are trying to impress!

I'm also assuming you're joking about your kids not wanting to be with you if you are wearing something they don't like- since you're taking them to Disney!

Thanks for all the helpful info. I too got to not feeling well at AK Park. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!!#,

We thought this park hardly had any shaded outdoor seating.

This is a big issue at Epcot. There is so muck open space too so I really wish they would add some benches and shaded pavilions. I love this park but pray for a cloudy day... LOL

• Refillable mugs - if your kids don't drink soda but they DO like lemonade, make sure that they like pomegranate lemonade before you buy a refillable mug. There isn't any plain lemonade. JUST pomegranate lemonade. And from what I saw at the Polynesian and AKL, it's the same there, too. So buyer beware if you have a picky child like my YDD is.

Oh no. I am staying there in Sept. I don't really drink soda and figured I would just mostly have lemonade, but I am NOT a fan of Pomegranate. I guess I will stick with water.
I wish they would add freestyle machines,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter