Just back from HIFS & WDW

jimnky

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone. My family of six are just back from a great vacation at HIFS & WDW. Since we received so much help from this board in planning our trip. I wanted to return the favor & post our trip report in the hope of helping someone else. Feel free to email me or post a reply here if you have any specific questions not covered here in this report.
First off, every good thing you heard about HIFS is true. It is a very nice hotel, new, clean & very accomodating. We stayed in a KidSuite with a Disney theme. Our 3 youngest loved their own "private" room with bunk beds and a pullout bed. The pullout bed is smaller than a normal rollaway, but big enough for our 6 year old. He loved having his own bed. My 10 yr old slept on the top bunk as HIFS recommends for safety reasons, no one under 6 sleep in the top bunk. HIFS is big on safety both in the rooms & on property. They have a video that runs constantly on their cable tv about safety.
Housekeeping did a great job keeping our room clean with our messy group. They were generous with towels but stingy on soap & shampoo, leaving them only every other day. For $125.00 per night I thought we could get toiletries every day.
About the restaurants....
Kids do eat free as advertised, but we found that their food was overpriced in all their restaurants. Their in house Pizza Hut charges $13.00 for a medium pizza. Since our eldest was 15, she was considered an adult, so we paid for 3 adults, and got 3 free kids meals. But with their higher prices we found we didn't save anything as the total cost was about the same as if we would have ate at a Ryan's, Ponderosa, Old Country Buffet, etc and paid for everyone. And something I did not like at all was the mandatory 15% gratuity added to each check at all the sit down restaurants. I do not like this practice at any restaurant, as I find it usually promotes poorer service. Why bust your butt to give good service when you know you're going to get a 15% tip regardless? And this was the case every time we ate at a sit down restaurant. From long waits to be seated to long waits for food. We saw our waiter/waitress only 2 times. When she took our order, and when she brought the food. Not once did they ever ask if we wanted anything else, or offered drink refills. We had to flag them down if we wanted another drink, and to ask for the check. So that was a minus, in my opinion.
The breakfast buffet was great. and this did save us a lot of money, as we ate a big breakfast each day, and only ate once in the Disney parks. If we were hungry later in the day, we would pick up something on our way back to the hotel.
The eggs are "different" but my wife said they were "ok" but the kids didn't like them, but there was plenty of other things to choose from. A great selection everyday. But I must admit, by the 7th day I was kinda tired of breakfast in general.
If you need anything else while you are there I would recommend getting it off property as they do have a general store on site, but as with everything else there, it was overpriced. An example: 2 liter drinks were $2.25 each.
Other than that we would gladly stay at HIFS again.
About the parks...
We found all the Disney parks to be not as crowded as in the past.
We bought our park hoppers at AAA before we left, and they included a special pass to park in the AAA diamond lot at each park. This worked great at Magic Kingdom & Epcot, but not at MGM & Aninal Kingdom. We could walk to the entrance at MK & Epcot, but at the other two parks the cast members directed us to the same area as other guests. So I don't know if MGM & AK don't have diamond lots or we just encountered bad cast members.
In all the parks the lines were not too long, but I would highly recommend FASTPASS. It worked great. We never waited longer than 5 minutes in line using FASTPASS. What a great Disney invention. The longest line we waited in was for the Millionnaire show & that was because the shows are scheduled at certain times and we had to wait for our time. But the FASTPASS helped get us in first, thus allowing us to get better seats. So use FASTPASS, you'll love it!
We finished our vacation with a 3 day stay in Panamal City Beach. We stayed at the Beachcomber by the sea. A nice hotel right on the gulf.
Well, I think I rambled on long enough. Like I said, please feel free to email any questions, I'd be glad to help.
And thanks to all on this board who helped make our vacation better.
Jim

Thanks for the great report and information about HIFS. My family has reservations in January and we can't wait to go. :D

Thanks for the review! We are leaving in a day and a half for HIFS!! I'm keeping the bldg #6 (saw that in your other post) and the sit down dinner in mind when we arrive!

Thanks for the info about HIFS. I will also keep Building 6 in mind, as well as eating at Country Buffet, etc.

jimnky - we were there July 1-8 family of 5 we had a $111.00 rate and I thought all told it was a good value we ate lunch at the pizza hut AW stand for between $5 and $6 each day with the kids meals they seemed happy to give you 4 kids meals with one adult purchase. Thus the 3 kids and I (7 months pregnant with 4th kid) ate for free. Didn't do the sit down restuarants but I agree when we walked through the sitdowns looked empty. Almost no lines for the food court food at lunch time. I thought the breakfast was a nice addition and must have drunk a gallon of choc milk each day but it was so true by day 7 it was looking kind of bland. just too much of the same and I agree the eggs did tast funny not bad just weird. the one with ham and cheese were quite edible and made good sandwiches on the bagels or biscuits.
Our room was clean and made up nice and early each day so when we came back for lunch it was always ready I just left a note asking for anything I wanted more cups, soap etc and it was always left in abundance of course i did tip $5 a day so that may have helped.
The only thing I was trying to get all week was the kiddie registration goodie bag everytime I walked throught the lobby no one was at the kiddie check in I guess I could have asked the main desk but I just never got around to it. A note - make sure you join holiday inns free priority club on their website you earn points with each stay plus get the paper and a 2 pm check out also your own check in desk they also gave us a free coupon for a tub of popcorn and 2 bottles of coke.

jjjbennett.......We never tried the A&W.....our group didn't like anything on their menu. We had no trouble getting the kiddie packs at check-in. But we did arrive at "prime-time' so to speak, right around 4pm. We had about a 1/2 hr.wait in line to check in. But I did see the kiddie check-in unattended quite a few times during our stay. I too left a tip for housekeeping, but ironically the days I left the tip were the days I did not get shampoo & soap refills, go figure?
Thanks for the tip on the Priority Club, I am a member but forgot to give my # when I made the ressies, so I couldn't take advantage of the special check-in booth. However I did have my card present at check-in so I did get my points for the stay.

Hello, Just Read the reviews for HIFS.. Both sound good
but agree with the sit down service commets and am hoping i save $$ with the kids eat free program. We are
going to be there 12/1/01 to 12/15/01 and are 3 adult - my mom, my sister and me with 2 kids- my son 5 and daughter 8 . This is their surprise birthday presents-
(10-3/11-18) having a duel party the end of Oct.2001 including a scavenger hunt ending w/ surprise box including MM stuff and Air tickets! can't wait to see there faces for that let alone when we check in to the hotel and actually go to MK and see Mickey.. Do you have any comments on Chef Mickey's ?? Thought it might be nice to eat there on our Arrival night and was wondering what kind of food they serve.. Thanks for any help, Michelle
PS This is only my 2nd trip w/ kids - our first trip was a disaster in Mar 1997 as my son (5 month old at trip-time)
was in the emergency room 3 times and then admitted to the hospital due to RSV.. This is our Make-Up Trip and I am having trouble waiting-have been planning since Jan 2001!!! Yikes i have disney fever badly !

Michelle,
Hope you have a great time. We've been home a little over a week, and I miss Disney already!
About Chef Mickey's, we did not go there this past visit, but we did go to Chef Mickey's in 1998. That year we took in quite a few character meals including Hoop Dee Do Revue and of all of them, Chef Mickey's was our favorite. We went to the dinner, but they also have a breakfast, or did in '98. The food was very good, it was buffet style, and they had all types of food, including pizza, and chicken nuggets for the kids. Lots of desserts and soft serve ice cream. Since Chef Mickey's is in the Contemporary Resort, it is special to sit there and watch the monorails go in & out of the building. We have lots of great video of our 4 children meeting the characters, and twirling their dinner napkins to the music while eating. Chef Goofy especially hammed it up for our camera. It was a great experience & I know your family will enjoy it.
Jim

Thanks so Much, I am kind of new at these "board" things,
but so far i have gotten great information.. Michelle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter