Just Back From Okw!

DISNEYFAMILY#1

Earning My Ears
Just back from 9 nights stay at OKW. First time at OKW,
own at VWL. Stayed in bldg. 36, 2bd. unit, 3rd floor. Nice views of lake and golf course. We had requested bldg. near main pool when we made ressies, but nothing was available. Bldg. 36 was too remote for us. We had to use our car for everything. At night to get ice cream or take stroll by main area very far had to load everyone up in car and drive over. OKW is a nice resort but for us we prefer VWL or BW for the atmosphere. OKW did not have the same disney feeling as VWL or BW. Pool areas were boring for the kids compared to others. Had nice dinner and breakfast at Olivia's. Great resort for golfers!! Nice to know there's a variety of resorts available. Glad we tried it, though. Looking forward to April stay at VWL!!

Isnt it nice to be able to vacation at all these different places??
I love OKW! We stayed at VWL lodge and I really enjoyed it there too.
Have fun on your next trip at your HOME

We had to use our car for everything.

I find the walk to be less than 10 minutes from this area to the main section (or less than BWV to Epcot). Plus you are so close to the Turtle Pond Pool which I prefer. FYI -- for the future -- you can also hop on any bus and they will drop you at the Hospitality House before heading out (double check with the driver just to be sure).

The reason you were not so happy about at OKW are the reasons why I love it so much!!!!!! I feel I get the best of both worlds! A nice relaxing vacation away from the hustle and bustle of WDW, but of course in the middle of it all!!!

WE will be going back in July and splitting the vacation between OKW and VWL and also a few days at St. Pete's Beach on the west coast!! My DH's favorite resort is WL and we will be getting a variety this coming vacation!!

DVC has something for everyone!! Have a great time at VWL, you'll love it! My oldest loves it because it is a little more exciting than OKW!!

Just a point. We enjoy the walk too. Sometimes DW and I will stop by the Gurgling Suitcase for a burger and then walk back to our room. As much as we enjoy this walk, I can just imagine doing it with our kids when they were 6 years younger (back in 1995 when we joined). I think that we only swam in the main pool once on that trip and spent the majority of our time in our local pool.

Some people love OKW, some people don't. That's the beauty of DVC. Hope that you had an otherwise fun time at WDW.

The beauty of DVC is that there is something for everyone. We own at BWV and VWL. We have stayed at OKW once and doubt that we will return given our other options. We definitely prefer the resort feel and the theming at OKW didn't thrill us. Maybe it was the unit we were in. Also, we are native Floridians and are enthralled with anything rustic (love the VWL!).

Disneyfamily#1, we have a ressie for April at VWL also. When will you be "home"?

I agree that not everyone will like the same things and DisneyFamily is just being honest in how they feel. I just didn't want others who haven't been to OKW to get the feeling that it is enormous. (I agree it may feel that way to a tired family and that's why I offered the bus suggestion.) It's just that folks talk about how easy it is to walk to MGM or Epcot from BWV which is a longer walk than from just about any unit at OKW to the main area and you do have the option of bus transportation. (Heck, walking to your car if you don't use valet at BWV is further than walking to the front area.) On the trip back if you hop on any bus that stops at Peninsular Road, it will take you to South Point or Old Turtle Pond.

Christiansmom,
we'll be at VWL from 4/14 through 4/25! We stayed at WL this past December and it was magical. The grand lobby,all of the decorations and festivities were awesome!! That trip was the selling factor for us to buy into DVC, even though we had toured BW the year prior and liked it.
PamOKW, thanks for your imput.
We had a wonderful trip this time around (6/17 - 6/26) at OKW. I was just expressing our experience with our building location and how it just felt remote from the "fun stuff" for the kids. With over 530 rooms spread out over so many acres it did seem enormous to us and lovely. It sure seemed longer than a 10 minute walk!! We did wait for a bus one day but it seemed silly to go through all of this when we had a car. We liked OKW but just prefer VWL and BW for the convenience of getting around. We appreciate having the option of visiting all the different resorts. Hope to see you in April, Christiansmom!!

The beauty of DVC is all the many options we have. I own at BW, but really like OKW. (VWL didn't do much for me--JMHO.) I stay at these 2 resorts, as they both have their own charm. To each their own! BWV has a great location and I love the decor. But at OKW, I feel like I'm truly in a home-like atmosphere.

No matter which resort we DVC'ers stay at, we can't lose! :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter