Just back from our first trip Home to SSR

Disneymommie

<font color=teal>Shares the magic with others<br><
We had a blast! We loved the entire resort. The kids had a blast in the pool. The Turf Club food was AWESOME!!! We loved it so much that we color matched the cabinets in the kitchen and now my Kitchen cabinets are the same color!!!!! We can not wait to go back in April.

We had a blast! We loved the entire resort. The kids had a blast in the pool. The Turf Club food was AWESOME!!! We loved it so much that we color matched the cabinets in the kitchen and now my Kitchen cabinets are the same color!!!!! We can not wait to go back in April.

That is great- that is so fun that your changed your cabinets. Now when you go to SSR you will feel even more at home!

We love SSR too- can't wait for our next trip- I hope my kids love it.

Glad to hear you had such a good time. We started staying at SSR back in the day when there were only 4 building open (Congress Park) and we love it. I'll be leaving good old Atlanta Thrusday morning for a long weekend at SSR.

BTW: Did you try the Turf Club potatoes; they are wonderful!!

I love all these great SSR reports! We are going to stay there for the first time over spring break (March 2008). My kids picked it (I wanted VWL). We have never stayed at SSR, and I am nervous about the bus problems I read about. BUT I love the idea of having DTD right there, and we are planning to relax and hang out at the resort most of the time anyway (saving our park tickets for a summer trip with extended family).

Thanks for the report!
DJ

I love all these great SSR reports! We are going to stay there for the first time over spring break (March 2008). My kids picked it (I wanted VWL). We have never stayed at SSR, and I am nervous about the bus problems I read about. BUT I love the idea of having DTD right there, and we are planning to relax and hang out at the resort most of the time anyway (saving our park tickets for a summer trip with extended family).

Thanks for the report!
DJ

Don't sweat the buses. They run about every 20-30 minutes, but you should give yourself 1 hour between places. Relax, you'll be on vacation!

Not only is being close to DTD nice, but if you get a upper level room in Congress Park, the view of DTD at night is great. VWL is nice, but we prefer SSR and OKW. Nice and lay back!

Funny you should say this, we are adding on a Master Bedroom and Bath to our home, and my wife likes the decore at SSR so much, that many of the colors and fixtures are very similar to what they have at Saratoga.

I would love to find a place to buy one or two of the chairs that are in the living room! I loved the colors!!! Comphy too.

As for the busses we really did not have to many problems. A few waits but not to bad. We have stayed at Fort Wilderness many moons ago and those busses from back in the early 90's were horrible!

The only problem with the busses we had was on our last night Friday night. It was pouring, like I have never seen it rain before. My DH wanted to make one last trip to DTD and the boats was not running due to weather and the walking was out. He waited 35 minutes for a bus that never came. He gave up!!! But normally we would have just taken the boat! Other then that there was no problem!

... I love the idea of having DTD right there, and we are planning to relax and hang out at the resort most of the time anyway (saving our park tickets for a summer trip with extended family).

Thanks for the report!
DJ

SSR is a great resort for those non-park trips. Lots to do at the resort plus walking distance to House of Blues, the Movie Theatre, Disney Quest... and the bonus of having the DTD bus hub for resort hopping. You gotta love it!

and the bonus of having the DTD bus hub for resort hopping. You gotta love it!

Wow, I hadn't thought of that! You are right! I would love to go over to the Poly for breakfast at the Kona Cafe one morning.

Also, I sort of remember a mention of an entertainer at POR on Wednesday night that people were fond of, and we have never seen, so I had thought (if I can find the details of when and where he really is performing) we would take the boat to DTD and then switch over to the PO boat and head down there for the evening.

Maybe we will go over to WL for an afternoon of biking too. That was my choice for resorts, but this will work. I really hadn't thought about how the resort buses were so close by to SSR. This is going to be a fun trip!

DJ

Also, I sort of remember a mention of an entertainer at POR on Wednesday night that people were fond of, and we have never seen, so I had thought (if I can find the details of when and where he really is performing) we would take the boat to DTD and then switch over to the PO boat and head down there for the evening.

DJ

Oh yeah- I vaguely recall hearing about that guy too. I think you can take the boat directly to PO, but I am not 100% sure on that.

Thanks for the report!
DJ

I actually much preferred the buses at SSR over VWL, the buses at SSR are direct and other than the stops within SSR, you go straight to your destination. At VWL, you either stopped at Fort Wilderness or the Grand Floridian before you went anywhere, it just seemed to add so much time to the trip. It is so much easier to resort hop with DTD right there, you are going to have a great time! :)

Oh yeah- I vaguely recall hearing about that guy too. I think you can take the boat directly to PO, but I am not 100% sure on that.

Unfortuntely you cannot take the boat directly from SSR to PO; you have to pick up the PO boat downtown.

Disneymommie, glad to hear that you enjoyed SSR so much. The resort got a bad rap early I think because it was not a monorail resort, it wasn't close to any park, and it was BIG. Now it's found a real fanbase (myself included).

We certainly look forward to our next SSR stay.

So glad you had a good time!!

Disneymommie, I totally agree with your feelings about SSR. We stayed there by default last January because it was all that was available for a last minute trip and I was convinced I wouldn't like it there. Well, I fell in love with it :love: and we are going back next month by choice. I can't wait!

It definitely is a great location to visit other resorts. We used the busses at DTD as our own bus stop and got to Coronado Springs, Grand Floridian and Animal Kingdom with ease. We were on DDP so dining at other resorts was a piece of cake!

Thanks it was a great trip. Can not wait for April and cooler temps. Not that I mind hot, but 110 heat index was a bit much! LOL

Glad you had a nice trip! I just made our Magic Express reservations for our December trip to SSR-108 days and counting.....

I'm so glad you loved SSR! We've stayed there a few times when BWV wasn't available and enjoyed it very much. Our last stay was with friends and we stayed at the Grandstand and it was awesome. I thought I might not like it but I was so wrong. We had a ground floor one bedroom and every morning and evening a momma duck would appear at the glass door peeking in and looking for food. She was so cute. The location was great, it was a short stroll to the boat landing and was very convenient. And the pool was fabulous. So, after that trip we decided to add SSR to our growing portfolio of DVC resorts and are so glad we did!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter