• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from SSR, Small Report

RayJay

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone,

Just back from a 1 bedroom stay in room 2203 (Congress Park). I'll just hit the highlights and then people can ask questions if they have them.

Remember this is just my opinion, we went to SSR because we wanted to have our own impressions realizing everyone is different.

Room:

Awesome, in 2nd building from DTD facing DTD in Congress Park. About 50 feet to the quiet pool and 50 feet to the bus stop. I mean we were close to 2 of the biggest needs (Pool and Bus Stop), I highly recommend this area.
I thought I would be disappointed with not getting Springs, but no, the walk to the main pool was easy even in the heat and we did it everyday.

I cannot state enough how nice it is to have a 1 bedroom ( for a family of 4 with small kids). The room was very very nice.

Resort:

This place is very nice, very colorful and impressive. Yes, it will be big but we really liked the openness, I think the growth of the vegetation is perfect right now. It felt magical when we drove in despite the construction, which should be done soon. The open hallways were no big deal, it's just SSR's style, you don't spend your time in the hallways.

The spa looked awesome, even though we didn't indulge.

Pools:

The main pool was one of the reasons we chose SSR. The Main pool was great, the small slide for little ones, the water sprite area with Donald, and the Zero entry made life in the pool a very enjoyable experience for my family. If you have small kids this is DVC's best pool area. Yep, you read it right, let the debate begin. (OK, SAB is awesome) but the water sprites gave this pool the edge. The quiet pool was good, it was a pool, but it was close.

Check in:

This was just OK, it could be improved, 30 minutes to 45 minutes is bit long but they were all trying hard, I think it's more the people asking so many questions. I don't know, when I get to my turn I usaully have my you know what together and get checked in fairly quickly, I seen others at the counter for 20 minutes, What are they talking about?

Food and Retail:

Closing at 10:00 at night and not opening until 7:30 a.m in the morning affected us on several occasions. There are alot of people who are up early, not having the ability to get something was a minor inconvienence, this was really my only complain, also one night at 10:00 p.m they were closing up Artist Pallette and there was easy 30 to 40 people in there. I mentioned to the manager that they should look at their hours, he agreed and they might move it to 11:00 p.m close.

Going from Mara at AKL to Artist Pallette was a big drop off in food service. SSR will have to address this going forward or I'm afraid they will get alot of complaints.

Buses:

No problems, like I said we were right near the bus stop, for the most part buses were on time except for one day when we didn't see an MK bus for 30 minutes. The drop off/pick up routine was thrown off because of comstruction but otherwise good.

Overall:

This is a very nice resort and we will return, maybe even before we go back to BWV. We missed being closer to the parks but managed pretty well, it's not that bad. Being near DTD was nice. The parks were actually not to crowded because of Hurricane threats, but the last thing I want to say is.....

We are not going in summer anymore (if we can help it).
IT WAS HOT.

Had a great time, feel free to ask any questions.

RayJay

I'm glad you had a nice time. I enjoyed reading your report.

The summer and the second half of December are the only times that we can get in more than a long weekend get-away. I hope we cope with the heat next month.

Bobbi :flower:

I also love the one bedrooms. At the end of the day Mommy needs to close the door. Our last trip, we spent the last two days at Coronado Springs. DH and I agreed that we had become one bedroom snobs.

RayJay said:
...also one night at 10:00 p.m they were closing up Artist Pallette and there was easy 30 to 40 people in there. I mentioned to the manager that they should look at their hours, he agreed and they might move it to 11:00 p.m close.

Yikes. That's not good.

Anyone know what time the restaurants close at other resorts?

Thanks for the report!

Anyone know what time the restaurants close at other resorts?

I agree that is a good report! :)

Since AP serves as "the store" as well -- I could be mistaken, but I think Counch Flats & the Screen Porch close at 11? Anyone else have a different recollection?

Thanks for the nice report with your SSR impressions!

I cannot state enough how nice it is to have a 1 bedroom ( for a family of 4 with small kids). The room was very very nice.
Oh yeah, and the 1BR only gets even more important as those critters grow! :)

I don't recall when other restaurants open, but I'm pretty sure that Roaring Fork at WL opens before 7:30. Also, the Boardwalk Bakery I thought was open by 7:00 a.m.?

Granny said:
I don't recall when other restaurants open, but I'm pretty sure that Roaring Fork at WL opens before 7:30. Also, the Boardwalk Bakery I thought was open by 7:00 a.m.?

Well we usually had the coffee in our room, but the 1 day DW goes to the Main Building to get coffee because we ran out, boom they were closed.

How can you be closed until 7:30 a.m. in Disney World? I thought this place was like New York, always open?

RayJay

In February, Roaring Forks opened at 6:00 and closed at midnight.

Thanks for the report.

I can't believe SSR hasn't started making changes to the food/store yet. It always seems to be the biggest complaint of anyone visiting SSR. I read it constantly on the boards and I know they are aware of it. I talked at great length with two CMs at SSR and they said they hear this ALL THE TIME. Then I spoke to a guide down there and my guide when I got back and AGAIN both said they hear it ALL THE TIME. So why aren't they moving forward with some changes? Sure, they are getting a full service restaurant at some point with the new addition, but still AP needs to be worked on. Not only was the food selection there very weak, but the store itself seemed very lacking. It seems like such an obtainable thing to correct? And don't get me started on SSR charging .99 for bananas when OKW had them for .40. :rotfl:

The CMs there gave me an email to send my comments to that was different from MS. I sent an email. Nothing... Then I sent an email to MS. Nothing... I'm surprised I didn't at least get a stock reply.

Really it is a beautiful resort and the potential is there...

Thanks for the great report, glad you enjoyed your stay!!!!

Thanks for the great report! We toured SSR, (my friend and us took the tour, and she bought SSR), and DID like the pool, but it is small after 850+ villas are built. JMHO....

DeerH

I am glad you had a great time Rayjay! It sounds very nice. I also appreciate knowing that as of right now, DONT RUN OUT OF COFFEE! ack! I would be doomed all day.

As we all have noticed, WDW is not exactly the swiftest at CHANGING anything but are they kings at implementing things too quickly that aren't ready. Hopefully they will stop saying "yeah - we hear you" soon and get it worked out! We are eaters of breakfast in the room (unless we do a character breakfast), so the early hours won't effect us, but the late ones might. Even the value resorts are open til midnight I believe. Maybe soon...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter