Just curious ... why do some members prefer ressies over transfers when renting pts?

Mike

DIS Veteran
Hi - I am very curious why some people prefer to do ressies for people rather than transferring points to a current member. I am in the process of looking for some points for some friends who have decided to join us in July. I responded to one post and received an email back from the member stating that they would rather make a reservation for someone than transfer points. I also see some posts that say "no transfers please". Now I understand that some points cannot be transferred, but that does not appear to be the case in these situations.
I know if I ever need to unload points, I will work exclusively with members on a transfer. I think it is so much easier and far less risky. One transaction and done. No need to manage a reservation. No worries about cancellation policies. No worries about being liable for room damage or unpaid room charges. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Maybe the points they have available are borrowed or banked, which can't be transferred.

DebbieB said:
Maybe the points they have available are borrowed or banked, which can't be transferred.

No - they told me they prefer ressies and will get back to me if they are unsuccessful

Since you can only transfer one way during a year they may want to keep options open. I didn't realize this until after we had transferred one point from my daughter's BCV account into my OKW one. Now I can only transfer into that account until next August. I have been renting points this year to pay for my Christmas week cruise and the shore excursions and they have all been straight forward rentals - I made the ressies, sent the confirmations and they sent the money - so far no contracts no problems- maybe I have just been lucky so far. I would transfer points only after I had the payment as once they are transferred I have no recourse. Have a few more points left and now I will give your comments some consideration because helping a fellow DVC member should probably come before just giving someone else a good deal on a room. I have been a member since 1997 and this is the first year I have actively rented points as I much prefer to use them myself . Again this is mostly a matter of trust between the two parties involved.

castleri - that is a very good point. I forgot about the one way transfer rule. That certainly would be a potential reason.

Another reason concerns the loss of control. Once points are transferred into someone else's account, the points are gone, and if the renter turns out to be trying to run a scam, the owner of the points has no recourse. I was recently contacted by a member for 192 pts to transfer into their account. They needed points ASAP, and agreed to send $ via PayPal immediately if I would deposit the pts NOW for a waitlist that would only be held till today. I decided to ask MS about their waitlist, which they won't tell you, but she did say that it's permanent when you transfer points, and Disney won't get involved if it's a scam, and maybe I would want to rethink this transfer. That was enough for me! I never received any money thru PayPal, either, so I am sure that MS was warning me. :earseek:

Cruelladeville said:
Another reason concerns the loss of control. Once points are transferred into someone else's account, the points are gone, and if the renter turns out to be trying to run a scam, the owner of the points has no recourse. I was recently contacted by a member for 192 pts to transfer into their account. They needed points ASAP, and agreed to send $ via PayPal immediately if I would deposit the pts NOW for a waitlist that would only be held till today. I decided to ask MS about their waitlist, which they won't tell you, but she did say that it's permanent when you transfer points, and Disney won't get involved if it's a scam, and maybe I would want to rethink this transfer. That was enough for me! I never received any money thru PayPal, either, so I am sure that MS was warning me. :earseek:

Ok.... pure coincidence here..... I am also looking for 192 pts...but I am not that person nor am I running a scam :teeth:

That was very smart of you cruella. If something doesn't seem right in your gut, move on. I think you should always take the time to draft a contract that is agreeable to both parties and come to an agreement on how payment is to be made. Any deal that needs to be done ASAP under less than favorable terms should raise immediate red flags. JMHO!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter