Just deployed

cstwwt

Mouseketeer
:confused:

Hi All, I usually follow the budget board, but hopped over here because my DH has been deployed. He is not going with the unit he is currently with....he is being attached to a new unit. He leaves within 15 days. I'm asking for things you packed with your soldier......goodies, things they were really glad they took, etc. We have 2 DD 11 and 8 who as you know will really miss thier daddy. It's all happening quickly......your help is appreciated!! :) Wendy:scared1:

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband leaving. My husband will be leaving for tour #3 very shortly. We don't have children but we have several friends who do.

Your husband could be taped reading bedtime stories to the kids. Give each child and your husband a mini tape recorder with some tapes and let them do letters on tape. Of course, packing goody boxes will be something that you can do with the kids to keep their spirits up. I also know that alot of families do the eat an m&m everyday as a way to countdown the days until daddy is home. Others make a paper chain and take away a link everyday as a way to countdown. I know another family that gave each child a calendar with family pictures on it and every morning made a big production of counting down another day closer to being done.

You mentioned wanting to know what kinds of goodies to send with him. I think it just depends on the space avilable after all the necessary stuff is packed. My husband takes his IPOD and portable dvd player with a little cd package of movies. He smokes so he takes a few cartons of cigs and his chewing gum as well as some goodies to snack on that don't matter if they are smashed. Most important is to bring an int'l phone card that can be used in stops along the way and after he first lands at his destination.

If you need ideas for goody boxes or need help with the stuff getting ready for deployment or after your husband is gone, please don't hesitate to contact me. There are several people on this board that have been in or is in your shoes right now.

Just know that you can get through this and no matter how long the deployment is every morning when you wake up, you are one day closer to being finished. BIG HUGS and good luck to your husband.

Thanks very much. I really appreciate it. I can't imagine it gets any eaiser the second or third time!!

Wendy

Hope all is going well and that your time away from him goes by fast. How long will he be gone?

I too will be posting this in a matter of weeks my hubby is set to leave the first week of December. The kids have already started to act different.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Stick an I love you note in his stuff so he finds it while he unpacks :)

HUGS! It sucks....I know exactly what you are going through.

Stick an I love you note in his stuff so he finds it while he unpacks :)

HUGS! It sucks....I know exactly what you are going through.

I always do this! I write tons of little notes and take some of the kids pictures that they have made and stick them in his bag(s) when he's out of the room, or done packing and I slide them down the side. He's always happy when he finds them and lets us know when he can!

Thanks again for all your support and the good advice! He will be gone 15-18 months. One day at a time!!

Wendy

I haven't been through a deployment yet, but just wanted to write and give you support. My DF (soon to be DH!) doesn't leave until this summer. I also post on a message board, grunt.com, but that's more for Marines (I'm assuming you're Army by the length of the deployment?). The support from other military is really nice, especially since I'm not super close to a lot of people yet (we just moved out to Pendleton a few months ago).

Enjoy the time you still have with him, and I love the notes idea!

Sorry to hear your DH deploying. DH left in Sept and will be back in Jan. This is our 1st holiday season away from each other. Time has gone by extremely fast for me which im so happy about! Holiday season helps a lot with time flying. I would rather have him deploy during holiday season and make time fly by then during the summer and time go SO VERY SLOW! This is our 2nd deployment. Last yr he was deployed from May to Sept, and the whole summer seem to drag and last forever. Hard to believe we've already pass our 1/2 way point. Only 58 days to go!

Anyways, just keep busy and time will go by hopefully quickly for you. Hopefully the deployment goes smoothly as well. Our 1st deployment everything that could go wrong here at home, went wrong. This time, everything has gone very smoothly! So hopefully yours goes just as smoothly as well. Write emails, regular letters. One thing DH and I do is we grab our webcams and make videos, throw them on a cd and mail it out. That way we can see each other and hear each other voices whenever we want. Unfortunatly we didnt get lucky this deployment. Last deployment we were able to use IM programs and webcams to talk to each other on his day off each week. This time, all we get is 15 mins phone calls every other day, emails daily and regular letters on a occasion. But then again, he went to a completely different base then last yr. If your DH is deployed to Balad, he will be able to use the computers and a webcam. I heard the communcation is still very good over there.

If you wanna make cookies, and send them, there a couple ways to do it. Clean out a pringle can and put the cookies in there. OR, the way I do it, is get a cheap plastic jar. You can get a 3 pack from walmart thats a pretty good decent size for a couple dollars and they work perfectly! Line the jar with Glad's Press ' N Seal, put the cookies in and then put press n seal on top of the cookies and then put the lid on, and then put more press n seal over the lid. Wrap the jar with bubble wrap. My DH got the cookies 2 weeks after I sent them out, and they werent broken and still tasted fresh like I just baked them a couple days ago.

Also if your DH didnt take a book of checks with him, send a book out to him. He will need it to pull money out. Also, if he needs or wants anything trust me when I say this. Let him pull the money out and let him buy it himself at the BX. It is SO much cheaper when you let him buy it. I saved so much more money this deployment then last. Last yr I sent a box out every other week, this time I think I've sent a total 2 boxes out so far, going on 3 this upcoming friday. This will prob be the last one I send out to, cuz he will be coming home in Jan. If you bought the stuff, then you have to pay the money to buy it and then pay money to send it. So if you let him buy it, not only will it save you money but he would be able to have it sooner as well.

The BXs over seas are huge. They carry everything including food. DH loves those easy macs that come in the little containers that you can buy seperatly or in a 4 pack, and they have them there. So that saves me for having to buy them and send them out. If he wants one, he can just go to the BX and get one.

Think of a fun way for you and the kids to count down the days. Since its just me, i mainly go off by count down the days with a countdown timer on my computer. It counts down days, months, weeks, years, hours, mins and seconds. You can get it at http://www.nestersoft.com/timeleft/

I also have a HUGE bag of the mini chocolate candy bars, and I eat 1 piece a day. Not only is it heaven to eat 1 piece of chocolate a day but it also helps count down the days.

Hope this helps you out. Just hang in there and always remember, your not alone. There are thousands of families in the US that are going through the exact same thing you are right now.

Thanks agian for all the advice. DH left this morning....it was very difficult! Especially for my kids. They just don't understand why he can't come home in 2 weeks!!

Thanks for the great tip about the checkbook.....never considered that!

I appreciate all the tips and well wishes.....good luck and best to all of you as well!!

Wendy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter