Just don't know what to do!!!

wtg03

In Love with a Mouse!!!
We just got back from 9 days at WDW. We stayed most offsite at Vistana. We really loved having the seperate bedroom and the kitchen. We left Vistana to stay onsite at Port Orleans. No comparison - the room was just to small, the kids were bouncing off the walls, and we missed Vistana. We took the DVC club and really loved it. Now we are trying to decide what to do. We are either going to purchase at Vistana (from someone selling theirs at a great price) or purchase DVC. I really didn't like staying offsite. Getting to MK was a real pain in the butt and the area on 192 outside of Disney just wasn't as clean and "pure" as Disney. However, we did like parking right next to the building at Vistana and not having to walk a mile with all of our stuff to the room. My problem is the cost. I would really like to purchase DVC but it will cost me almost 3 times as much as Vistana. How can I justify this? And I don't know if I will go to WDW for the next 40 years!!! And their other vacations didn't really appeal to me. Should I buy DVC, buy Vistana, or just rent at DVC by buying someone's spare points? ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks-
Dazed and Confused
:confused:

wtg03,
We are in the process of listing for sale our Vistana week and will close on 200 points at VWL on July 2. I thought you may be interested in the circumstances that led to this decision.
We are childless and also don't plan on doing Disney each of the next 40 years. The years we skip will result in greater points on the Disney years (bank / borrow) or we will use some or the alternate uses of the points. I feel that the use of DVC for trading into exchange programs will yield much better results than our Vistana week did. You must consider the fact that the Disney ares is saturated with time share properties, resulting in plenty of available weeks for people to trade into. On the other hand, this board suggests that trading into DVC properties is highly sought after and very hard to come by. I can only speak from my experience with Vistana, this board has many that can share their experiences with DVC and trading (they had a great influence in our decision)
As far as the cost is concerned, it is true you can pick up a Vistana week for 4 - 6K. These weeks sold new at 12 - 14K. Currently, DVC resales hold their value, which is almost unheard of in this industry. The resale value will likely decrease as 2041 draws closer.
I could go on and on (I already have). There are other issues but It may be more appropriate for e-mail. DVC vs. Visatana is definitely a case of "If we knew then what we know now". If you would like more info, feel free to drop me an e-mail

However, we did like parking right next to the building at Vistana and not having to walk a mile with all of our stuff to the room.

And their other vacations didn't really appeal to me.

You can park right next to your unit if you get an OKW resale and/or use your DVC points at OKW. You also can just pull up, unload and let the valet park your car at BWV or VWL. (There is same unit garage parking at Vero. Not sure what the setup is at HHI.)

I'm not sure what you mean by other vacations with DVC not appealing to you. If you look through the brochures there are a wide variety of B&B's, hotels, timeshare resorts, and even experiences like cruises and African safaris to choose from. DVC attempts to only offer the best experiences to trade into to keep the experience comparable. I can't imagine the Vistana trades being better.

Just for info, at Hilton Head, if you're in the lodge, parking is underneath the building on the ground floor, with elevators going up. If you're in any of the other villas, parking is a 'short' walk to the perimeter parking that surrounds the property. (Longest walk there is probably 100 to 150 feet.

There are other options beyond purchasing a timeshare. But first of all if you don't think you will be returning to Disney regularly don't buy DVC. Regularly being at least every two years for a week. Who knows...when your kids get bigger they might prefer Universal (my teenybopper nieces do)...then you'd find yourself in the situation of being offsite again...while onsite at Disney!

I suggest you visit www.mousesavers.com and see other ways of staying at Disney without buying DVC and without paying a fortune...

I would definitely advocate against buying Vistana...if you are going to buy a non-DVC timeshare buy somewhere else...California, ski resorts in January or February...let the DVC exchange book be your guide!!!

192?

I went past Vistina (highway 535 I think), when I was headed to 192. Highway 535 eventually curves right into 192. If you make a left at the light you will be headed towards Walmart (a little farther down the road). This is a much faster route to Walmart than getting off 4 to 192.

As far as the original post, Vistina looks nice, Disney has pixie dust.

DVC member since 98

Tigger

Hi wtg03, aka "Dazed and Confused" ;) . I don't blame you for being unsure but you must realize that by posting here, you're going to get a lot of positive DVC responses. It's why we are all here--because we love WDW and DVC. I am, of course, a big advocate of DVC for several reasons. There is nothing better than staying on-site when I go to WDW. But that's a matter of personal taste. Also, regardless of DVC, we always planned on going down every year (or two) for a nice trip so for us, it was a WISE investment. Within four or five years, our purchase price will already be paid back (and then some!!). Plus, I love dealing with Member Services--they are extremely helpful and willing to get you what you need!!

DVC is not for everyone but what I founnd most helpful in deciding was to evaluate what you want out of your vacations...how often you want to go, where you want to stay, etc...no one can decide that but yourself. However, you're most likely to be happiest with DVC! :) Now how's that for a Disney plug-in??! LOL!

Hope to "welcome you home" soon. Good luck deciding.;)

You experienced it yourself, you even said "I really didn't like staying offsite.Getting to MK was a real pain in the butt and the area on 192 outside of Disney just wasn't as clean and "pure" as Disney".

And you liked parking right outside your unit and you loved the seaprate bedroom & kitchen, so the best thing you can do is to buy an OKW resale and always book a one-bedroom or larger unit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter