Just off of the Wonder & Alaska

Ravenne

Queen is never late everyone else is simply early
Well...we got off the Wonder on the 4th, but stayed an extra day in Vancouver to sight see, and not have to rush off to the airport after disembarkation.

First of all, thank you for the tips and advice about Vancouver. We've only sailed out of PC previously, and within the Disney bubble, so doing much of it on our own was different and new for me. I hope to get a trip report up soon, but I'll touch on a few things:

The Wonder looks great. There were a few minor things here and there, but for me, personally, it was noticeable if you were out to notice them. We’ve only been on the Dream and Fantasy before so we don’t know what the “norm” is for the classic ships, but those open sea areas were rough on the Wonder. The seas weren’t actually rough though, they looked calm during those stretches of open sea, and not surrounded by land in the Inside Passage. I don’t think it was our room location though, the whole ship rocked. If you looked out the window even from midship and atrium, you can see the horizon going up…..then down…..then up…..then down. Is it a smaller ship thing? Was it wind? If so, you'd think the sea swells would be rough too. I don’t know. It wasn't terrible, and not a deal breaker by any shot but definitely more noticeable than on the Dream class ships, and somewhat unexpected. Overall, I thought the Wonder looked great, especially for her age. We had a room on deck 6, forward, and it was nice and quiet. We saw painting off and on throughout the cruise, and one late, late night, I could smell it out in the hallway (not from our room) but the smell was gone by morning. One thing we all hated about the Wonder are those elevators. OMG they are SMALL. You simply cannot fit more than 4 adults in them, and even then you were reeeeeal intimate for that elevator ride, especially the midship ones. They are impossible! Forward and aft elevators were better, but midship? Fuggetaboutit! We stopped bothering with them by day 2. (Elevators were a necessity as we had a knee injury in our party.) I really liked that they have stroller and wheel chair parking on deck 6. I never noticed that on the Dream or Fantasy, probably because we weren't right by it. Oh, and because of the knee injury in my party, I discovered that medical on deck 1 will sell, not rent, canes and crutches: $15 and $50 respectively, charged to your room. They won't deliver it to your room, however, you'll have to go get it or send someone to get it.

There were a few things about the Wonder that surprised me, and caught me off guard, but didn't by any means ruin my trip or anything. It was just...different and not what I expected out of DCL, perhaps a bit disappointed.

The food was mediocre. The Frozen menu in particular was meh. Really, meh. I was really looking forward to beignets at Tiana's and that was also meh...they were over fried, and dry. We went to Tiana's twice in our rotation, and each time, Louis would come out for a little bit, visit with a couple of tables...the same ones, then disappear. So like...does he meet with guests, or not? That left a lot of guests wondering if he'd come back and why he didn't meet with the rest of us. Tiana made her rounds to every table from what I could tell though. She even posed for pics upon request.

The general vibe of the crew was they were worn out and jaded. They just lacked the enthusiasm and umph from the Dream and Fantasy's crews, even down to the entertainment crew, which REALLY surprised me. We went to play bingo and they just weren't nearly as energetic as the Dream and Fantasy's crew. The whole B-11 Beyonce thing, for example, they barely mentioned it on the Wonder. I talked to a server and she lamented that the work environment isn't very good like it used to be. New management from other cruise lines try to run things their old way rather than the DCL way, making for a hostile work environment. We felt rushed off the ship by Ketchikan day, which was only day 6. We came back to our room, and the pre-paid tip vouchers and envelopes were already laid out for us, our serving team shook our hands and wished us well at the end of dinner that night. I had to check the app several times to make sure we still had another day, a sea day before disembarkation. I chatted with another guest in the hallway who said he felt the same way, that as far as he was concerned, they wrapped things up after Ketchikan, and he no longer felt welcomed. It just seemed...odd, when there was whole 'nother sea day that should've been filled with entertainment for guests. And the dining rooms...I know the ship is smaller, we had our own 4 top, but things were so cramped we might as well have shared a table with the party next to us. I don't know if it's just cramped in the MDRs, or if they don't have enough help, or what, but literally every meal in there, dishes crashed. I felt so bad for the CMs as many of them juggled trays with 3-4 towers of plates stacked 4-6 high, having to maneuver around those narrow gaps between tables, over guests' heads (one night, an elderly guest had a tray of plates crash right next to him, sending half the serving team flying over to see if he was ok.) We had 2nd seating and the poor CMs were just as harried as 1st seating.

My biggest gripe came from Oceaneer's. One of my kids got kicked in the nose by another kid who apparently had been following him around the club pestering him. As he writhed in pain holding his nose, a CM told him to pick up the stack of cups that'd been knocked over, and to stop pretending to be hurt. He ended up checking himself out of the club and came back to our room to tell us what happened and I could see his nose bruising. WHY would a youth club CM not follow up with a kid who could potentially be hurt? We ended up going back down there with the kid to talk to the CMs about what happened and asked for an ice pack. The CMs just handed us the ice pack upon request, and did nothing about, for the lack of a better word, bullying going on. That kid ended up picking on mine a few more times before he managed to find other kids to group up with, and had safety in numbers. I don't know if this one kid bullied other kids around the ship, but he sure gave mine heck. I really wanted to report it to guest services, but my kid didn't want to draw more attention to it, and end up having bigger issues, but I did mention it on the comment card, and fully plan on writing to DCL about it, but it bothers me that DCL does nothing about unruly kids, which reminds me of how little enforcement of rules in the parks.

Other than those few things, overall, it was a great trip. The weather was great all throughout. Excursions were fun (some through 3rd parties, whale watching through DCL.) We had a great time, and I would do it again. I just wish DCL took better care of their CMs.

Last edited:
Wow...not exactly a glowing review and once again happy I didn't book Alaska on the Wonder! We've really never found the food to be that good on Disney. Shocking to read about the lackluster CMs though...that's what everyone raves about. Personally my favorite ship is the Fantasy. I'm not a fan of the Magic (it always seems so crowded - more so than the Fantasy or Dream). My lack of enthusiasm about the Magic is why I haven't booked the Wonder. I'm glad you had great weather...and how can anyone not love Alaska! Happy Cruising!

I’ve always thought that the reason Louis just walks down the main aisle in Tiana’s is because his costume is way too big for him to walk in between the tables in order to visit each one.

I’ve always thought that the reason Louis just walks down the main aisle in Tiana’s is because his costume is way too big for him to walk in between the tables in order to visit each one.

Which makes total sense. He's a big guy. But each night he was out, he met and greeted a few tables at the center of the room, then poof! Disappeared. It was confusing, especially for kids, stretching their necks wondering if and when Louis would ever come by their table.

Wow...not exactly a glowing review and once again happy I didn't book Alaska on the Wonder! We've really never found the food to be that good on Disney. Shocking to read about the lackluster CMs though...that's what everyone raves about. Personally my favorite ship is the Fantasy. I'm not a fan of the Magic (it always seems so crowded - more so than the Fantasy or Dream). My lack of enthusiasm about the Magic is why I haven't booked the Wonder. I'm glad you had great weather...and how can anyone not love Alaska! Happy Cruising!

I think that's what bummed me the most. I felt really bad that the CMs weren't happy. They work SO hard. I wanted to see them happy too. It seemed we did hit the weather jackpot. CMs and excursion crews were surprised how great the weather was (50s and 60s temps with sunny skies every day except for Ketchikan day where it was cloudy, misty and rained very lightly off and on.) I guess the week before, the weather was crappy and rainy the whole time. We did miss Tracy Arm, and did Endicott Arm instead, but it wasn't surprising. CMs they only made Tracy Arm like 3 times last year.

Wow....I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. That definitely doesn't sound like what we are used to on the Wonder.

We just spent 8 nights on the Wonder in May and our experiences could not have been more different. We had so many wonderful CMs that I had to attach a piece of paper to our comment card to acknowledge them all. We have been on the Wonder 10 times now and this past May ranks up there with the best experiences of them all. The entertainment host we had was different than usual (more mellow, but very funny and if he had time between events, he would actually sit down at the tables with the guests and visit with them, etc). My DD and I are still quoting some of his jokes from the shows, LOL. The CM hosting bingo was super energetic.

Our servers were awesome and the head server stopped by often to visit. We definitely didn't feel they were rushing us along or cutting anything short. We even had one head server who mistakenly thought we were in his section early in the cruise, then he continued to stop by as our "adopted" head server every night to visit with us (he would even make a point of saying Hi if he saw us around the ship during the day).

In Tiana's, Louie definitely spent a good amount of time going around the room but didn't stop at the individual tables at all. I don't think he was ever meant to stop at tables like Tiana does. He is more like Mickey in AP (just comes in as part of the show).

That situation in Oceaneers is definitely unacceptable. Did you speak with guest services about it too (in addition to the club CMs)? Or maybe the Lead CM that oversees the club/lab?

We did this cruise almost one year ago today and found the CMs and food great. Perhaps things have changed since last year. All 5 G-kids from 8 to 18 were in and out of kids clubs without incident. Each cruise is truly an adventure. I am sorry yours did not go well. With a party of 11, we had a table in the middle of each MDR. Louise zipped by us twice, but not fast enough to miss getting his tail pinched by our youngest granddaughter. Funny, he didn't feel a thing??

I'm sorry you didn't have a better experience with the crew. We were on the Wonder for 12 nights (5/16-5/28) and had wonderful interactions with the crew and it seemed to me like they were all happy. I am jealous of your weather in Alaska though - we had rain & cold in both Juneau and Ketchikan, and sunny but cold in Skagway.

Interesting review and I agree with some of it (not all but that's what's great about everyone having their own voice/opinion lol) We have sailed on the Wonder 3 times (most recently last month on the San Diego-Vancouver cruise) and have two more booked in 2019 (including our second time to Alaska). I will say that I agree with others re: Louie, I think his costume is just too darn big to get around to most tables. I do agree that it leaves many disappointed though (including my two who were never close enough to see him/say hi to him). I also noticed a lack of....interest? Involvement? From some of the CM's in the Oceaneers Club/Lab. Unless they were actually running a game or an art project, most of them were having very little interaction with the kids and one night, I went to see if my girls wanted out (they both chose to stay in a bit longer) and when I tried to get out I actually had to say "um, hello can I LEAVE please??!" to the three CM's who were huddled in one corner, laughing and ignoring everyone.

I've been on the Fantasy and yes, the elevators on the classic ships are sooooooo dannnnnggggg small in comparison! I also feel that the entire dining service on our Fantasy cruise was way more polished than any dining service we've ever had on the Wonder.

Having said that, we consider the Wonder 'home' for us lol

OH! I almost forgot to mention...I noticed a LOT of officers out and about on the ship. I kept running into one...I assume he was the housekeeping supervisor, in our hallway on deck 6 all the time, checking on things etc. At least twice we saw 2 officers accompany room service deliveries. I don't know what that was about, but we all noticed much more of an officer presence and I don't know if that affected CM morale or performance, but I know if my boss was hovering, I'd behave differently and more nervously too. I even saw 3 officers and supervisors on Pixar Pals Party night on deck 5 over looking the show, and one assisted with the confetti canons. There were so many of them out and about, supervising things that we joked we were nervous we were doing things wrong lol.

I should emphasize though that it wasn't a bad experience, just...the mood was different, and not as upbeat and jovial as previous cruises. It was a more subdued, and...solemn? (for lack of a better word) vibe.

That situation in Oceaneers is definitely unacceptable. Did you speak with guest services about it too (in addition to the club CMs)? Or maybe the Lead CM that oversees the club/lab?

I did not. My kid really didn't want to draw more attention to it for a number of reasons including worrying it would make it worse. I had to force him to go back to the club with me just to speak with the CM there and to get an ice pack, and we were calm about it out of respect for my kid's wishes. I did write about it on the comment card.

Thank you so much for sharing. I've said this elsewhere, but I wasn't thrilled with kids clubs on our Fantasy cruise. For the most part our kids were happy and entertained themselves well enough that they did want to go back, so obviously my view is just my own. But I felt that the CMs were completely under-involved with the kids if there was no activity going on... and even when there were activities, they didn't seem to do much to alert the kids. I'm frustrated to hear about how your son was treated! I truly hope that is a one off but I have to say I vastly prefer the staff-kid interaction on the other lines we have cruised.

Wow....I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. That definitely doesn't sound like what we are used to on the Wonder.

We just spent 8 nights on the Wonder in May and our experiences could not have been more different. We had so many wonderful CMs that I had to attach a piece of paper to our comment card to acknowledge them all. We have been on the Wonder 10 times now and this past May ranks up there with the best experiences of them all. The entertainment host we had was different than usual (more mellow, but very funny and if he had time between events, he would actually sit down at the tables with the guests and visit with them, etc). My DD and I are still quoting some of his jokes from the shows, LOL. The CM hosting bingo was super energetic.

Our servers were awesome and the head server stopped by often to visit. We definitely didn't feel they were rushing us along or cutting anything short. We even had one head server who mistakenly thought we were in his section early in the cruise, then he continued to stop by as our "adopted" head server every night to visit with us (he would even make a point of saying Hi if he saw us around the ship during the day).

In Tiana's, Louie definitely spent a good amount of time going around the room but didn't stop at the individual tables at all. I don't think he was ever meant to stop at tables like Tiana does. He is more like Mickey in AP (just comes in as part of the show).

This was our experience in April. Best crew we've evern had.

To the OP, I"m sorry about the kids club incident. We had one in April involving some verbal bullying, it was promptly dealt with by the kids club CM when I brought it to their attention. The offending kid got a warning and then later kicked out for bad behavior.

I was on your sailing and agree with a lot of this.

I asked prior to our second night at Tiana's what the deal with Louis was and was told he can't get to all the tables in his costume, but you can approach him - so when he was out we got up to go get a picture.

This was my 4th cruise and I felt the food was a step down from what I remember on the prior 3 - even some of the same dishes were overcooked or pretty bland.

This was the worst serving team - I must have been in the same room as you bc dishes crashed every night (late dining). Our table at Animator's was against a wall where it meets a door for crew - so every time staff came out with the sweeper for the dropped dishes, they had to apologize to half our table as they squeezed by - the four of us closest to the wall couldn't really watch the show bc the screens for our table were on either side of us but we were so close to the wall and not in front of either screen. My kids ordered the same drinks every night and they were never waiting for us. They walked around out table while I was cutting my kids' dinner and they didn't step in. They didn't go over the menu and just seemed very rushed where led to unfriendly.

I thought some of the entertainment staff was fantastic - but there were a few they gave the impression they were done with this. I also noticed officers out and about more than I had before.

My kids didn't spend a lot of time in the clubs this trip so I can't comment on that.

I thought it was a smooth sailing - although I could feel the movement of swells and sometimes felt like I was leaning over when I wasn't, it wasn't the choppy kind of rough seas I've had in the Caribbean so I luckily never felt sick.

I am with you - I did have a wonderful time and an amazing vacation, but I think I prefer the Fantasy.

The reason why you saw all the officers was there was two captains on this cruise because they were switching captains and the new captain shawdows the previous captain for a week before he is handed the ship. So I bet other officers were being changed out also with the new captain so I bet that’s why for some you saw more officers on ship getting ready for the new crew. As our server we had she came back from vacation and was on the first Alaska cruise and she said they had switched things while she was on vacation. It’s now the assistant servers job to go get food while the server is in charge of the station. They have changed ways of the dining room so all the people who were on vacation had to get caught up on the new changes in the dinning room. So maybe that’s why you think service is bad. But we had awesome dinning with our service team. We were on the first Alaska cruise this year and I didn’t see any problems. I also hate the frozen menu also but I still found things to eat off of it

My kids ordered the same drinks every night and they were never waiting for us. They walked around out table while I was cutting my kids' dinner and they didn't step in. They didn't go over the menu and just seemed very rushed where led to unfriendly.
We were on the Wonder in February and our dining experience was similar to this. It was our first Disney cruise and I kept hearing all about the amazing service and overall I thought it was pretty meh. We ordered the same drinks every night and no one caught on to that. It was hard to get anyone’s attention for refills. I asked for some food right away that my toddler could eat and it never showed up. The waiters seemed busy and harassed in general.

I also thought a lot of the food wasn’t great but I gave them some leeway since they’re serving hundreds of people.

We didn’t really experience what I read about here with drinks being ready, servers going above and beyond to recommend things or bringing things they think You might like. And that’s fine, we don’t need people cutting our kids’ food or whatever...but no one tried either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . I don’t have anything to compare it to and again not that big a deal for us so we’re fine to sail the wonder again.

I was on the Wonder in April, and while we had an incredible trip, I also found the dining service to be very average. We never had drinks waiting for us, and in fact had to wait for upwards of 20 minutes to even get our drinks on at least two nights. We like to eat quickly, but for some reason always seemed to be the ones waiting the longest for food and the last ones out at the end of the night. We even started showing up early to be one of the first tables seated, but were still the last to leave the dining room. I have a food allergy, and had to constantly remind our server about it, and he seemed unaware and/or unwilling to help me preorder food for the next night. (“There will be a selection of gluten free items on the menu for you tomorrow night.”) I finally had to ask for help from the head server. Then on the last night we got the “excellent” speech and I could hardly contain my eye roll. The serving team was friendly and fine, but certainly not excellent.

This is interesting because we noticed this as well but on the Fantasy this past May. We’ve been on the Wonder 3 times and 1 time on the Magic. We’ve always had an exceptional experience with top notch customer service, entertainment and food so we were looking forward to our first time on one of the bigger boats. However, we walked away a little jaded after our experience on the Fantasy.

After reading the previous comments about the dining service, our experience was very similar. Our server , despite being “one of their best servers”, (per the head server), became completely cold with us after the 3rd night . The first few nights were ok, small talk with our head server was light and playful, however we noticed, just like others, that our drink orders were lagging despite always ordering the same drinks and the food was taking a while. We asked our server about the kitchen situation because it took so long for us to get our food, but he just said that that kitchen was backed up. After a few nights of the same, we inquired with the head server, explaining to him that we always arrive promptly at 5:30 and were always one of the last ones to leave. The day after our conversation with the head server, our server became completely cold. There was no more small talk. We noticed he was talking to his other tables, making jokes and making food suggestions and then would come to us, and ask, "Are you ready?" and the quickly rush through taking our our orders. Our drink refills were slow, we'd have to ask several times for our condiments, to the point that the food would get cold. We could only surmise that maybe we upset him because we told his boss, but it really made for a very uncomfortable dinner for the remainder of our time on the ship.

The food quality was lacking as well. The lobster I had was rubbery and had an odd metallic taste and there were several times we ordered beef and the meat was mostly fat.

The CMs on the Fantasy would avoid eye contact when walking through the hallways and were generally robotic and apathetic throughout the ship.

As far as the entertainment, it could've been my preference for certain shows, but the entertainers didn't seem on par with the level of talent that we experienced on the Wonder or Magic.

It could be that there is a new President of DCL, so maybe they're undergoing a lot of changes throughout the dining room and ships as a whole.

I just hope that by our next Disney cruise, the quality of our experience goes back to what we're used to because that's what sets them apart from all the other cruise lines. If the "Disney Experience" is no longer there, then there's really no justification, for us, in paying a premium.

I was on the Wonder in April, and while we had an incredible trip, I also found the dining service to be very average. We never had drinks waiting for us, and in fact had to wait for upwards of 20 minutes to even get our drinks on at least two nights. We like to eat quickly, but for some reason always seemed to be the ones waiting the longest for food and the last ones out at the end of the night. We even started showing up early to be one of the first tables seated, but were still the last to leave the dining room. I have a food allergy, and had to constantly remind our server about it, and he seemed unaware and/or unwilling to help me preorder food for the next night. (“There will be a selection of gluten free items on the menu for you tomorrow night.”) I finally had to ask for help from the head server. Then on the last night we got the “excellent” speech and I could hardly contain my eye roll. The serving team was friendly and fine, but certainly not excellent.

I will say the service has deteriorated somewhat since our first Disney Cruise a few years ago. I think it is due to the pressure Disney puts on having "excellent scores" and anything less is a fail. I think this does the team a disservice. However, I also found that sometimes things can change if you let them know. It really depends on the head server and the tone he sets with his team. For the past two cruises, service was slow. To the point where we were always last in getting stuff and last in leaving (perhaps it's because we didn't have any kids). In any case, the last cruise, we didn't really say anything, except for one time that we had to be at a place. Then they rushed us out of the place. This time, I spent more time with the wait staff after one of the dinners explaining what we really wanted. In addition, I also explained it to the head server. The original staff blamed it on my wife's allergies. I told them that wasn't really an excuse for always being late. I also told them I didn't want to feel rushed, either. Afterwards, I would say they made progress. Dinner was quick, but not rushed. Again, it really depended on the head server. Note, that the staff in the last cruise, begged for "excellent marks," which I despise. This time, they didn't beg for "excellent marks." They were also genuine in trying to fulfill our needs. Needless to say, they got excellent marks without even having to ask for it.

In summary:

1.) Ask for change (they can't change without you asking).
2.) Be clear as to what you want to happen. They can't work miracles, but if there are little things that you want done, ask for them.
3.) I despise staff asking for excellence marks. I find the best ones don't ask for the excellent marks. I think that's from the pressure the head server puts on them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter