Just off of the Wonder & Alaska

OP, sorry to hear about the issues on your cruise. We were on the Wonder in May and experienced mostly great customer service. The dining room staff made sure our drinks were ready for us and engaged our kids regularly. The head server was very friendly and visited our table several times and asked how they were doing.

The food was alright, not anything special, but not bad. Wish they offered more Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Filipino) dining options - the ramen/noodle offering on deck 9 was very popular. We only saw one instance of dropped dishes. We did see a couple incidents in Tianas of chairs falling backwards with kids in them.

We also saw some CM's not very engaged in the kids clubs. We checked on our kids a few times and usually saw them watching movies by themselves. We would have found the bullying issue not acceptable and reported it to a supervisor.

Glad to hear that you made the most of it and still enjoyed your trip.

Last edited:
The servers can’t win with the drinks thing. For everyone saying “They weren’t on the table” there are others who complain that they were and maybe they wanted something else to drink that night.

The servers can’t win with the drinks thing. For everyone saying “They weren’t on the table” there are others who complain that they were and maybe they wanted something else to drink that night.
That’s a fair point, I’m sure not everyone is totally consistent in what they want. But for us, we drink the same thing without fail. And it took FOREVER to get drinks some nights. My toddler also made dinners really tough and where most people might be dying for a “drink”, I was dying for a Diet Coke each night. So it would have been great to show up and just have them on the table.

If the standards are slipping and prices going up and up I am surprised people still book

This year I think is our last DCL cruise until new ship/new itinerary. Just when you see difference in price with other cruise lines

In summary:

1.) Ask for change (they can't change without you asking).
2.) Be clear as to what you want to happen. They can't work miracles, but if there are little things that you want done, ask for them.
3.) I despise staff asking for excellence marks. I find the best ones don't ask for the excellent marks. I think that's from the pressure the head server puts on them.

On the Wonder in March, we smiled cheerfully at our server and explained we would always show up on time and we appreciated prompt service. We had places to go and things to do and slow service was not what we signed up for.

Next thing you know we were moved to another table with a different serving team who were indifferent the whole time. Water glasses were empty and when they weren't empty, the servers were knocking them over and not cleaning them up.

Turns out the first sever had told the manager we demanded a table by ourselves. I chatted with the manager after the first night of awful, wet service and nothing changed.

I went to guest services. Nothing changed.

I talked to the head server. Nothing changed.

I did change my tips at the end though.

Praying we don't get either team in Alaksa!

So sorry that you experienced this. We just got off the Magic and I thought the staff was wonderful. We had people at our table who had gluten issues and they would show them the menu for the next night to make sure there was something they could eat or if they had any special requests. They were very warm and genuinely seemed to want to make sure we had a good experience. We even experienced our main server having to miss two evenings because of a knee injury but the assistant server and others worked very hard to pick of the slack. I also thought the entertainment CMs on the ship were great.

Hopefully things will be better on your next cruise.

Last month, we were on the Wonder cruising from San Diego to Vancouver. We had a great serving team. Our head server came by every night to visit. It was awesome!!! The cruise was great!! we really enjoyed the wonder.

So it's been a week since we disembarked. The group after us should've gotten off the Wonder today. I'm curious how they're doing. Several people on my sailing posted in our FB group that they came down with a stomach bug or food poisoning right around Ketchikan day, which would've been day 6. I myself came down with a sore throat disembarkation night, which worsened when I got home, which turned into congestion, and now pink eye. It's been a rough week since getting back.

Well...we got off the Wonder on the 4th, but stayed an extra day in Vancouver to sight see, and not have to rush off to the airport after disembarkation.

First of all, thank you for the tips and advice about Vancouver. We've only sailed out of PC previously, and within the Disney bubble, so doing much of it on our own was different and new for me. I hope to get a trip report up soon, but I'll touch on a few things:

The Wonder looks great. There were a few minor things here and there, but for me, personally, it was noticeable if you were out to notice them. We’ve only been on the Dream and Fantasy before so we don’t know what the “norm” is for the classic ships, but those open sea areas were rough on the Wonder. The seas weren’t actually rough though, they looked calm during those stretches of open sea, and not surrounded by land in the Inside Passage. I don’t think it was our room location though, the whole ship rocked. If you looked out the window even from midship and atrium, you can see the horizon going up…..then down…..then up…..then down. Is it a smaller ship thing? Was it wind? If so, you'd think the sea swells would be rough too. I don’t know. It wasn't terrible, and not a deal breaker by any shot but definitely more noticeable than on the Dream class ships, and somewhat unexpected. Overall, I thought the Wonder looked great, especially for her age. We had a room on deck 6, forward, and it was nice and quiet. We saw painting off and on throughout the cruise, and one late, late night, I could smell it out in the hallway (not from our room) but the smell was gone by morning. One thing we all hated about the Wonder are those elevators. OMG they are SMALL. You simply cannot fit more than 4 adults in them, and even then you were reeeeeal intimate for that elevator ride, especially the midship ones. They are impossible! Forward and aft elevators were better, but midship? Fuggetaboutit! We stopped bothering with them by day 2. (Elevators were a necessity as we had a knee injury in our party.) I really liked that they have stroller and wheel chair parking on deck 6. I never noticed that on the Dream or Fantasy, probably because we weren't right by it. Oh, and because of the knee injury in my party, I discovered that medical on deck 1 will sell, not rent, canes and crutches: $15 and $50 respectively, charged to your room. They won't deliver it to your room, however, you'll have to go get it or send someone to get it.

There were a few things about the Wonder that surprised me, and caught me off guard, but didn't by any means ruin my trip or anything. It was just...different and not what I expected out of DCL, perhaps a bit disappointed.

The food was mediocre. The Frozen menu in particular was meh. Really, meh. I was really looking forward to beignets at Tiana's and that was also meh...they were over fried, and dry. We went to Tiana's twice in our rotation, and each time, Louis would come out for a little bit, visit with a couple of tables...the same ones, then disappear. So like...does he meet with guests, or not? That left a lot of guests wondering if he'd come back and why he didn't meet with the rest of us. Tiana made her rounds to every table from what I could tell though. She even posed for pics upon request.

The general vibe of the crew was they were worn out and jaded. They just lacked the enthusiasm and umph from the Dream and Fantasy's crews, even down to the entertainment crew, which REALLY surprised me. We went to play bingo and they just weren't nearly as energetic as the Dream and Fantasy's crew. The whole B-11 Beyonce thing, for example, they barely mentioned it on the Wonder. I talked to a server and she lamented that the work environment isn't very good like it used to be. New management from other cruise lines try to run things their old way rather than the DCL way, making for a hostile work environment. We felt rushed off the ship by Ketchikan day, which was only day 6. We came back to our room, and the pre-paid tip vouchers and envelopes were already laid out for us, our serving team shook our hands and wished us well at the end of dinner that night. I had to check the app several times to make sure we still had another day, a sea day before disembarkation. I chatted with another guest in the hallway who said he felt the same way, that as far as he was concerned, they wrapped things up after Ketchikan, and he no longer felt welcomed. It just seemed...odd, when there was whole 'nother sea day that should've been filled with entertainment for guests. And the dining rooms...I know the ship is smaller, we had our own 4 top, but things were so cramped we might as well have shared a table with the party next to us. I don't know if it's just cramped in the MDRs, or if they don't have enough help, or what, but literally every meal in there, dishes crashed. I felt so bad for the CMs as many of them juggled trays with 3-4 towers of plates stacked 4-6 high, having to maneuver around those narrow gaps between tables, over guests' heads (one night, an elderly guest had a tray of plates crash right next to him, sending half the serving team flying over to see if he was ok.) We had 2nd seating and the poor CMs were just as harried as 1st seating.

My biggest gripe came from Oceaneer's. One of my kids got kicked in the nose by another kid who apparently had been following him around the club pestering him. As he writhed in pain holding his nose, a CM told him to pick up the stack of cups that'd been knocked over, and to stop pretending to be hurt. He ended up checking himself out of the club and came back to our room to tell us what happened and I could see his nose bruising. WHY would a youth club CM not follow up with a kid who could potentially be hurt? We ended up going back down there with the kid to talk to the CMs about what happened and asked for an ice pack. The CMs just handed us the ice pack upon request, and did nothing about, for the lack of a better word, bullying going on. That kid ended up picking on mine a few more times before he managed to find other kids to group up with, and had safety in numbers. I don't know if this one kid bullied other kids around the ship, but he sure gave mine heck. I really wanted to report it to guest services, but my kid didn't want to draw more attention to it, and end up having bigger issues, but I did mention it on the comment card, and fully plan on writing to DCL about it, but it bothers me that DCL does nothing about unruly kids, which reminds me of how little enforcement of rules in the parks.

Other than those few things, overall, it was a great trip. The weather was great all throughout. Excursions were fun (some through 3rd parties, whale watching through DCL.) We had a great time, and I would do it again. I just wish DCL took better care of their CMs.
We boarded the Wonder the same day you disembarked. We actually had our best cruise ever (it was our 4th cruise: we had sailed the Magic, Fantasy & Dream previously).

The service was more attentive and enthusiastic than we ever experienced before on DCL. The character interaction was the best we'd ever had on DCL. And the food was good. I guess that shows how differently people can subjectively experience the same thing.

But it wasn't perfect. A major flaw in the service was that our otherwise great dining team failed to get my son's AP picture into the special show. That was extremely disappointing. But aside from that, they were very attentive, did magic tricks, catered to his tastes/special diet, & gave him lots of personal attention.

We felt a lot of movement the 2nd night, but not a lot of rocking on the other nights. We did get vibrations a few nights of the cruise.

Last edited:
I did the first Alaska of this season after a 6y break from the Wonder. That last cruise on the Wonder had been a major disappointment overall but the one this year was amazing!

As to Louis, i must say our cruise wasnt full. He visited all tables. One half of thz restaurant the first night the other half the second night.

The office assisting with the xonfetti canon on Pixar night was actually the character manager.

I found the staff (no experience with kids clubs since im a solo adult) great in the dining room; guest relations etc. I was shocked Lloyd even remembered me though I hadnt seen him for like 6y... the character cast was great although the greeters werent as outgoing as some of my other cruises (still friendly but more distant lets say) with one exception. One greeter who was also friends with one of the princesses was just plainrude and I know of at least 2 parties complaining about her...

So it's been a week since we disembarked. The group after us should've gotten off the Wonder today. I'm curious how they're doing. Several people on my sailing posted in our FB group that they came down with a stomach bug or food poisoning right around Ketchikan day, which would've been day 6. I myself came down with a sore throat disembarkation night, which worsened when I got home, which turned into congestion, and now pink eye. It's been a rough week since getting back.
We also embarked the Wonder the day you debarked, no illness here. With that in mind, this was our second time on the Wonder and while service was good, I wouldn’t say it was excellent. I also called out DCL as a whole for pressuring us to give the excellent rating, this was our 6th cruise and all have been the same thing with the excellent push. Frankly, I’m so tired of that.

This was our second time on the Wonder and once again, the crew scored the lowest of all the DCL ships.

I did think Tiana’s Place was fantastic though and actually thought the food was better than previous cruises. I loved that we actually had appetizer and soup/salad choices in AP for Animation Magic night, that was a nice surprise! I loved the menu that night and didn’t realize they had a new one. Here’s a pic in case anyone hasn’t seen it yet. I just realized I didn’t take a pic of the desserts though, sorry.
1B29AA7A-6B85-4D58-A591-79B90D86D408.jpeg 5BF080A2-F73D-4818-B2A5-23A447037C2D.jpeg
I also thought the food in Cabanas at lunch was better than ever, the last day they had a salmon Wellington that was also wrapped in spinach with a creamy dill dressing that was amazing! It really needs to be a part of the MDR menu, it was soooo good.

1.) Ask for change (they can't change without you asking).
This. Or first night dining was sooooo slow. We asked for faster and have been very pleased ever since. I think our first night was also due to our real assistant server being out. Once he returned on night 2, things were also more fun.

This. Or first night dining was sooooo slow. We asked for faster and have been very pleased ever since. I think our first night was also due to our real assistant server being out. Once he returned on night 2, things were also more fun.

My first night I was seated with a duo and a couple.. i only ordered a maincourse and by 9.30pm I still didnt have it despite me saying I had to leave the dining room at that time. I stood up; left and went to gr. The next day I got a new table and different servers who followed the pace Is request that night.

We were on the same cruise as the OP. We had an amazing dining team. We had kids with special dietary needs in our group and the servers went out of their way to accommodate them and make sure the kids had exactly what they needed and always asked what more they they could do for the kids. Our head server came by every meal and checked in with us to make sure we had what we needed and to tell us about the next day’s activities.

At Tiana’s, we were near the corner (where they start the parade) and Louis came over to us and accidentally startled one of the adults at our table. She literally jumped in her chair and squealed! It was one of the highlights of the cruise!!

We’ve been on every ship and on the Wonder several times. I would say it was one of our best overall trips (weather included-it was fantastic).

It’s so interesting to hear how people on the same cruise can have such different experiences.

We also embarked the Wonder the day you debarked, no illness here. With that in mind, this was our second time on the Wonder and while service was good, I wouldn’t say it was excellent. I also called out DCL as a whole for pressuring us to give the excellent rating, this was our 6th cruise and all have been the same thing with the excellent push. Frankly, I’m so tired of that.

This was our second time on the Wonder and once again, the crew scored the lowest of all the DCL ships.

I did think Tiana’s Place was fantastic though and actually thought the food was better than previous cruises. I loved that we actually had appetizer and soup/salad choices in AP for Animation Magic night, that was a nice surprise! I loved the menu that night and didn’t realize they had a new one. Here’s a pic in case anyone hasn’t seen it yet. I just realized I didn’t take a pic of the desserts though, sorry.
View attachment 328917 View attachment 328918
I also thought the food in Cabanas at lunch was better than ever, the last day they had a salmon Wellington that was also wrapped in spinach with a creamy dill dressing that was amazing! It really needs to be a part of the MDR menu, it was soooo good.

Thank you for posting the menu! I'd been looking for the name, and ingredients of that really strong drink I had at Tiana's but haven't been able to find it. It's something "moon" was in the name. I have a pic of it, but it's not on that specific menu.

I do find it amusing that the comment card asks if you've been pressured to rate things "excellent." Our main server did mention the comment card, and how about there are only 3 questions on there that pertains to them. He didn't necessarily pressure us to rate excellent, but did mention that it does matter a lot to them. The head server on the other hand, was the one who straight up told us to rate them excellent, but did so in a way saying that the serving team deserves it, which I agree. I do think they worked super hard. Not excellent, but I don't think it was their fault that it wasn't excellent but more like the "man behind the curtains" type of deal, where the show being ran back stage affected how things went on the frontlines.

There were 2 people seated next to us, and they complained about something or everything literally every night. Every night our head server had to go over to their table to sort things out, ask if things were to their liking, which of course it usually wasn't. Now that, I felt bad for the serving team about.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 29
@Ravenne I will look for your drink next week on the Wonder and see if I can snag a pic of the ingredients! I'm hoping for a good experience on the Wonder, it will be our third trip on the Wonder and my DH considers it his "home" ship.

We were on the first Alaska cruise like I stated before. Things have changed in the way they do things in the dining rooms now. It’s slower since they all have to adjust to the changes. Your assistant server is the one now that still gets your drinks for you, then they are responsible for getting your food from the kitchen now., while your main server takes care of the server station. Things have been changing from the way before. So don’t blame your servers when they are adjusting to new things that they are told from above that this is the new way it’s gonna be. As for soda not being on the table when you arrived that goes to people saying that they don’t like that idea of it watering down before you get there. That’s what we were told on a previous cruise that this was something a lot of cruisers were complaining about that. So that’s why you wait to get your drinks now.

We also got off the Wonder on June 4, and the dining service was the worst we've had anywhere - not just on DCL, but anywhere, ever. The first night, the server kept trying to get my daughter to order from the menu, even though we explained that she had a pre-order, due to her allergies. He wouldn't go check with the head server who had placed the order, just kept suggesting she eat the vegetarian meal (that has cilantro, which she is allergic to.) I finally (after a several minute discussion) had to state that she wasn't going to eat that, and did I need to go find the head waiter that had put in her order before he finally went to check on it. My daughter ordered hot tea; the asst server asked what kind she wanted; my DD asked what kind they had, and was again asked what kind she wanted. She replied Earl Grey. The asst server disappeared for a long time. Meanwhile, we saw other servers showing their tables a box of teas to choose from. Our asst server returned and said that they didn't have Earl Grey in that dining room, she'd have to go check the others. DD said that wasn't necessary, could she see the box of teas to choose from? Asst server repeated that she would go check other dining rooms. After a few repetitions of this, I firmly stated that we needed to see the box of teas. She did finally bring it, DD chose one, and several minutes later, the asst server brought her a cup of hot water and disappeared. We had finished our appetizers by this point. We had to flag down our server to ask for sugar for DD's tea. She never did receive a spoon; she ended up stirring it with her knife.

Service was very slow the entire week, partly because they treated all the tables in their section as if we were one large group instead of 4 separate tables. They wouldn't take anyone's drink order or bring us bread until everyone was seated at all four tables. Water wasn't refilled most nights. They also never came to check to see if the food was alright. Several nights we were missing items, or things were prepared incorrectly, but couldn't ask for them because we didn't see either server until plates were being taken up for the next course. Even when they were removing a plate of barely-touched food, they didn't ask if everything was ok, they just asked if we were finished. One night DD received her soup as she was finishing her entree.

We did complain to our head waiter, but only focused on the major issues (like trying to make DD eat things she's allergic to, and incorrect and missing food items.)

I just hope that by our next Disney cruise, the quality of our experience goes back to what we're used to because that's what sets them apart from all the other cruise lines. If the "Disney Experience" is no longer there, then there's really no justification, for us, in paying a premium.
We felt this way, also. We've considered cruising with other lines since Disney has gotten so expensive, but I really loved the dining experience on our previous 9 cruises so stayed with Disney. After this experience, I doubt we'll cruise Disney again; it costs too much to get sub-par service . (It's a shame; I finally reached platinum status.)

We also got off the Wonder on June 4, and the dining service was the worst we've had anywhere - not just on DCL, but anywhere, ever. The first night, the server kept trying to get my daughter to order from the menu, even though we explained that she had a pre-order, due to her allergies. He wouldn't go check with the head server who had placed the order, just kept suggesting she eat the vegetarian meal (that has cilantro, which she is allergic to.) I finally (after a several minute discussion) had to state that she wasn't going to eat that, and did I need to go find the head waiter that had put in her order before he finally went to check on it. My daughter ordered hot tea; the asst server asked what kind she wanted; my DD asked what kind they had, and was again asked what kind she wanted. She replied Earl Grey. The asst server disappeared for a long time. Meanwhile, we saw other servers showing their tables a box of teas to choose from. Our asst server returned and said that they didn't have Earl Grey in that dining room, she'd have to go check the others. DD said that wasn't necessary, could she see the box of teas to choose from? Asst server repeated that she would go check other dining rooms. After a few repetitions of this, I firmly stated that we needed to see the box of teas. She did finally bring it, DD chose one, and several minutes later, the asst server brought her a cup of hot water and disappeared. We had finished our appetizers by this point. We had to flag down our server to ask for sugar for DD's tea. She never did receive a spoon; she ended up stirring it with her knife.

Service was very slow the entire week, partly because they treated all the tables in their section as if we were one large group instead of 4 separate tables. They wouldn't take anyone's drink order or bring us bread until everyone was seated at all four tables. Water wasn't refilled most nights. They also never came to check to see if the food was alright. Several nights we were missing items, or things were prepared incorrectly, but couldn't ask for them because we didn't see either server until plates were being taken up for the next course. Even when they were removing a plate of barely-touched food, they didn't ask if everything was ok, they just asked if we were finished. One night DD received her soup as she was finishing her entree.

We did complain to our head waiter, but only focused on the major issues (like trying to make DD eat things she's allergic to, and incorrect and missing food items.)

We felt this way, also. We've considered cruising with other lines since Disney has gotten so expensive, but I really loved the dining experience on our previous 9 cruises so stayed with Disney. After this experience, I doubt we'll cruise Disney again; it costs too much to get sub-par service . (It's a shame; I finally reached platinum status.)

Wow that sounds terrible. How rude of the dining team to act that way. And this - They wouldn't take anyone's drink order or bring us bread until everyone was seated at all four tables.- is absolutely ridiculous! Why should anyone have to wait around for people at ANOTHER TABLE that are late?!! We've never had "great" dining service on any of our DCL cruises - and we are not picky at all. It's very annoying when sub-par dining teams constantly push for all excellent ratings too. For many reasons, we've moved on from DCL as well.

Our server and asst server were prompt. They had our drinks served within minutes of us sitting down. Refills were served promptly. I would get soda during dinner and then coffee with dessert. The coffee was there at dessert time without me asking. Our server would present the menu and make suggestions, awesome!! When he bought out the servings, a lot of the time he would bring an extra dish of something that he would think we would enjoy. He also brought out extra desserts. we had the greatest team on the wonder. all 3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter