"Keep Calm and Carry On" April 2020 W.I.S.H. Challenge

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
Welcome to the April 2020 W.I.S.H. (We're Inspired to Stay Healthy) challenge!! - "Keep Calm and Carry On"

We're here to support each other with kindness as we each work on becoming or staying healthy during these trying times. Everyone is invited, and we're looking forward to catching up with regulars and welcoming newcomers! We have weekly volunteer hosts, and typically follow a Monday-Friday format:

Motivation Monday,
Topic Tuesday,
WOOHOO Wednesday,
Thankful Thursday, and
Free For All Friday.

...though with so many at home right now, do we want to ramp up and add titles to Saturday and Sunday? - Let me know your thoughts/ideas.

Suggestions so far:

Social Saturday (or Saturday & Sunday)
Spiritual Sunday, Self-Care Sunday

So pull up a keyboard, introduce yourself, and tell us about your goals for the month. (And if you don't find us until later in the month, join in anyway!)

This Month's Hosts
Week 1 (3/29-4/4): PollyannaMom
Week 2 (4/5-4/11): MickeyMom76
Week 3 (4/12-4/18): sjrec
Week 4 (4/19-4/25): Oneanne
Week 5: (4/26-5/2): 4Mickeys

Last edited:
Welcome to the April 2020 W.I.S.H. (We're Inspired to Stay Healthy) challenge!! - "Keep Calm and Carry On"

We're here to support each other with kindness as we each work on becoming or staying healthy during these trying times. Everyone is invited, and we're looking forward to catching up with regulars and welcoming newcomers! We have weekly volunteer hosts, and typically follow a Monday-Friday format:

Motivation Monday,
Topic Tuesday,
WOOHOO Wednesday,
Thankful Thursday, and
Free For All Friday.

...though with so many at home right now, do we want to ramp up and add titles to Saturday and Sunday? - Let me know your thoughts/ideas.

So pull up a keyboard, introduce yourself, and tell us about your goals for the month. (And if you don't find us until later in the month, join in anyway!)

This Month's Hosts
Week 1: PollyannaMom
Week 2:
Week 3:
Week 4:
Week 5:
Thank you! I can do week 3.

I’ll try to do week 2. Thank you @PollyannaMom for starting April. With starting teaching kindergarten online, which I’ve clearly never done before, I didn’t think it would be the best time for me to take a week. Hopefully by next week, I’ll have a better understand of my new routine ;)

As for Saturday & Sunday, what about”Social Saturday and Sundays”? We could have some fun socializing game or activity that we could all partake in online? Could be fitness inspired or just plain old fun. (Ex. Creative plank pose, a Mickey drawing challenge, or just a virtual happy hour.)

I was also thinking we could do “Spiritual Sundays” but I don’t know if that’s too controversial. I definitely don’t intend on making it a religious debate. I was just thinking of it being a time to share what we are doing to care for our spirit or our mental/emotional health. But I honestly won’t be offended if you think it’s a bad idea ;)

I’ll try to do week 2. Thank you @PollyannaMom for starting April...

As for Saturday & Sunday, what about”Social Saturday and Sundays”? We could have some fun socializing game or activity that we could all partake in online? Could be fitness inspired or just plain old fun. (Ex. Creative plank pose, a Mickey drawing challenge, or just a virtual happy hour.)

I was also thinking we could do “Spiritual Sundays” but I don’t know if that’s too controversial. I definitely don’t intend on making it a religious debate. I was just thinking of it being a time to share what we are doing to care for our spirit or our mental/emotional health. But I honestly won’t be offended if you think it’s a bad idea ;)

Thanks for volunteering! And those are great ideas!!! (If "Spiritual Sunday" is pushing the board rules, we could call it "Self-Care Sunday" and do the same thing. :smooth: )

Are any others on board?

Good morning! I’m sjrec, or Sandy, living in south central Pa with my husband. I have been retired these past three years from our local HS library. I lost 70lbs almost 20 years ago with WW and except for a few pounds creeping up occasionally have kept it off. I love this group because it motivates me to not only manage my diet but to keep active.

Things are certainly unsettled right now, but eating poorly won’t make them any better, and getting outside is good for me physically and mentally!

Hi, I'm Lizanne, a single gal living in Seattle Washington. I'm in my third week of isolation as I'm in the risk group... it is both starting to feel "normal" and still feeling really strange. I'm lying out plans for the coming weeks with some concrete goals to achieve... and leaning heavily on this group for connection and support - thanks all for being here! I signed up for Noom over the weekend, to give me the structure I'm going to need to accomplish what I want... so far it looks quite interesting.

I got to 10,000 steps yesterday, the first time that little FitBit party has gone off in over 6 months. I had a very low sugar day yesterday, with only the sugar in my morning oatmeal. I still have fresh food to eat, so I haven't gone back to the grocery store yet, but will go tomorrow morning and will shop according to what Noom is asking me to do.

Goals for April:
... keep up with Noom activities, including logging food, weighing daily, taking and recording my blood sugar and blood pressure numbers daily.
... I'm going with a 10 pound weight loss, very ambitious but I was eating so poorly that there's a large area for improvement
... feel the feelings, which is a struggle for me, but I'm learning.

My paraprofessional's friend just died of covid19. Devastated is not strong enough of a word to describe how she is feeling right now. She had to communicate with the family through facetime because she couldn't go to them and properly comfort them in person.

My only motivation right now is to keep my family and myself alive. I can't think beyond that.

My paraprofessional's friend just died of covid19. Devastated is not strong enough of a word to describe how she is feeling right now. She had to communicate with the family through facetime because she couldn't go to them and properly comfort them in person.

My only motivation right now is to keep my family and myself alive. I can't think beyond that.
Oh this is heartbreaking. So sorry Summer.

That poor family-I don’t understand people not taking this seriously.

Thanks for taking a week, @Oneanne!

I'm Nicole, 49, in southeastern Massachusetts. My quarantine buddies are DH (also 49, working from home), DS (19, disappointed about being home from college, but muddling through with on line classes), and two spoiled kitties - one of whom is on my lap right now.

My goals for this month are to exercise daily, not over-eat, and keep up my family's morale.

Monday Motivation:

@Summer2018 I am so sorry. That is just terrible.

I am Stephanie. I am 40 and right now I am working from home with DH who normally works from home, DS (8th grader) who thinks he has no school work to do and DD (7th grader) who wakes up and does all of her work then. We just started school (distance learning) this week. Day 1 and DS is convinced his teachers have not given him anything yet. This is the kids that I can't get to turn in homework on a normal bases. If I get the same answer tomorrow I will contact his teachers. It is all on google classroom and I have no idea how to use it. DD is doing great but us really getting bored and having cabin fever. She has been going for walks with us lately.

My goals for this month are to get 45 minutes of activity a day. I am also hoping to lose a few pounds.

:hug: @Summer2018
I’m so sorry.

Topic Tuesday:

Today's topic is balancing discipline and compassion in/for ourselves. - How do you decide when to push yourself to grow vs. when to cut yourself some slack or ask for what you need?

Last edited:
Topic Tuesday:

Today's topic is balancing discipline and compassion in/for ourselves. - How do you decide when to push yourself to grow vs. when to cut yourself some slack or ask for what you need?
I felt defeated yesterday, so I cut myself some slack.

I woke up today a little more optimistic, and I was disciplined enough to accept yet another curveball from the superintendent. We have all new requirements and are now required to use TEAMS which the upper grades already use. We were directed last night to begin posting assignments on TEAMS. No information on TEAMS is being offered. No training. The attitude is just do it. I am fortunate because one of my students' mothers is an 8th grade teacher in my school. This morning, she walked me through it. It's not her job to do that. She just wants me to access her daughter's work that she already uploaded on TEAMS. She spent an hour on the phone with me helping me.

The quick answer to the question is that when it comes to my job, I am disciplined because it is my responsibility. I'm much less disciplined with myself and my eating for instance. I am very motivated by emotion.

I'm hoping that eventually the powers that be will stop micromanaging us and let us get into a routine and do our jobs. Teachers are used to a certain amount of autonomy. I control everything that happens in my classroom. I have been allowed to control very little since this whole thing started. That doesn't work for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!