"Keep Calm and Carry On" April 2020 W.I.S.H. Challenge

Cutting myself some slack and silencing my inner critical parent is where I struggle... but I am learning to be better about it.

I'm currently learning to not compare myself to people on IG who are baking sourdough bread, remodeling rooms, converting flower gardens to victory gardens while they are stuck at home, and to recognize that just getting out of bed and taking a shower is enough, just surviving is enough. This perspective is helping me to ferret out old thought patterns where I haven't "measured up" and have found myself wanting.

I had to fight to get to 5000 steps yesterday. I tried to do a break each hour to get in 250, then after work went out for a walk but had to cut it short because a cold rain started to fall. The weather yesterday was wild, with two bouts of hail, and the temps have dropped dramatically. Today I am even further behind on steps because I haven't been able to do 250 per hour. Good thing I'm going on furlough, so I'll have time to walk. Just kidding... kind of...

Third day with Noom, and I have dropped a couple pounds. I am now only 7 pounds away from where I was when I went off the rails. Haven't gone to the grocery store yet, but will need to do so tomorrow morning.

I had some happiness last evening, kind of out of nowhere I realized, hey, I feel happy. I think it may have come from having a productive work day and feeling needed and that I was contributing. I'm working with the team to re-evaluate a work effort that was deferred last fall, but now has newly renewed interest. If it ends up going, it would mean work for the entire team for the next three months. Fingers crossed.

I think we all need to be kind to ourselves right now. Good enough has become our new family motto!

I am better at asking for help now than I was when I was younger. My husband has always been a great partner and source of support as we try to keep fit and healthy-one less thing for our only child daughter to worry about.

I felt defeated yesterday, so I cut myself some slack.

I woke up today a little more optimistic, and I was disciplined enough to accept yet another curveball from the superintendent. We have all new requirements and are now required to use TEAMS which the upper grades already use. We were directed last night to begin posting assignments on TEAMS. No information on TEAMS is being offered. No training. The attitude is just do it. I am fortunate because one of my students' mothers is an 8th grade teacher in my school. This morning, she walked me through it. It's not her job to do that. She just wants me to access her daughter's work that she already uploaded on TEAMS. She spent an hour on the phone with me helping me.

The quick answer to the question is that when it comes to my job, I am disciplined because it is my responsibility. I'm much less disciplined with myself and my eating for instance. I am very motivated by emotion.

I'm hoping that eventually the powers that be will stop micromanaging us and let us get into a routine and do our jobs. Teachers are used to a certain amount of autonomy. I control everything that happens in my classroom. I have been allowed to control very little since this whole thing started. That doesn't work for me.
I can’t believe they throw that at you with so little tech support! That’s awful. I’m glad you had a colleague to lean on. Even with training I learned even more with my friends, but we always had some basic instructions.
How stressful!

Topic Tuesday:

Today's topic is balancing discipline and compassion in/for ourselves. - How do you decide when to push yourself to grow vs. when to cut yourself some slack or ask for what you need?
I tend to push and push and cut myself very little slack. But during this crazy time in our world, I am definitely learning to cut myself some slack! However, I’m still not good at directly asking for help. I tend to hint at it, as oppposed to outwardly ask. I need to work on that.

We did have a bit of sunshine yesterday... and more hail... and rain... and wind. Weather is usually pretty temperate around here, so it is unusual to have such volatile spring weather.

I'm down three pounds this week. When I went thru my grocery list mentally walking the store, I keep wanting to go for the sugary comfort things, so it is going to be tough to not pick them up when I do go - tomorrow. I've decided I want to make myself a cloth face mask first, even though I'll need to sew it by hand.

I did get up to 5600 steps yesterday, will try for 6000 today.

I'm glad I set up the support group for the others in my area who are going on furlough. Being able to talk about things calms the spinning that goes on in my head. We're going to keep in touch via group text while we're out, which will be very helpful.

I “Zoomed “ with friends this week-so good to see everyone and laugh. Yesterday I had an hour long call with a good friend. We made a date to call next week as well.

I’m down 7lbs since I started weight loss 6 weeks ago, so hoping to lose another 3lbs in the next month.

These have been a life saver for me-100 calories, 4 WW points. They’re small, but the combination of peanuts and dark chocolate is delicious! I really look forward to one of these every night.

3F64A0DE-C229-48C2-AF98-3CFF14071E4C.png

I missed yesterdays questions. I never ask for help. That is my down fall.

My Woohoo is I am doing much better today. Yesterday was a bad day. I didn't slept Monday night and felt very sick to my stomach. It most have been something I ate with also not sleeping. I have very crabby yesterday. I stopped working an hour early and took about an hour and a half nap and was doing better. I slept pretty good last night and work up much better today.

Woo Hoo Wednesday:

I have two.

1. I ended a toxic relationship today. I was being harassed by someone who used to be such a good friend that I considered her family. She was my daughter's Godmother. She went off the rails. I don't know if this is mental illness or what, but I do not know this person who is lashing out at me and my family. I had to block her on all social media and phones. Then her sister verbally attacked my daughter on her public professional performing FB page. That was the last straw. I wrote a very heart-felt 3 page letter expressing my feelings and ended it with, "The harassment and abuse ends now. Stop it!"

2. After I wrote the letter, DD and I mailed it. Then we went for a long walk on the beach to calm down and get some much-needed exercise.

Woo Hoo Wednesday:

1. I ended a toxic relationship today. I was being harassed by someone who used to be such a good friend that I considered her family. She was my daughter's Godmother. She went off the rails. I don't know if this is mental illness or what, but I do not know this person who is lashing out at me and my family. I had to block her on all social media and phones. Then her sister verbally attacked my daughter on her public professional performing FB page. That was the last straw. I wrote a very heart-felt 3 page letter expressing my feelings and ended it with, "The harassment and abuse ends now. Stop it!"

2. After I wrote the letter, DD and I mailed it. Then we went for a long walk on the beach to calm down and get some much-needed exercise.

So proud of you for doing that - I know it had to be hard :grouphug:

While looking for a header picture for Thankful Thursday, I came across this great site:

http://www.doodle-art-alley.com/thankful-quotes.html

It has a bunch of gratitude quotes to color. Coloring is such great stress relief, I thought it would be a perfect activity for today. So if you'd like to do one, please share! - I'll put mine in the next post.

(Of course, it's optional. You can still just post something you're thankful for.)

While looking for a header picture for Thankful Thursday, I came across this great site:

http://www.doodle-art-alley.com/thankful-quotes.html

It has a bunch of gratitude quotes to color. Coloring is such great stress relief, I thought it would be a perfect activity for today. So if you'd like to do one, please share! - I'll put mine in the next post.

(Of course, it's optional. You can still just post something you're thankful for.)
I LOVE THIS!!!! Thank you. I printed out a few to do as a family activity. I’m even thinking if starting Thankful Thursday’s online with my class. Great find! I’ll color mine right after I post student work for the day and do my workout. Gotta keep the routine!

today I’m thankful for:
-these quotes to color
-this amazing group of people I found about a year ago online with a common goal of being healthy (now we’re supporting each other’s mental health)
-grocery pickup & delivery services
-essential workers (can’t say this enough!!)
-family (we have daily ups & downs, but end each day with family time :love:)

Today I am thankful for...

... the glorious sunshine we had yesterday, total surprise as it was not forecast. There was even a touch of warmth in the sunshine.
... also essential workers, including the delivery folks. Over the weekend I'll be putting a thank you sign on the front door.
... also this group for the support. Checking in with y'all is so helpful.

I love these and will definitely print one out! Thank you!

My favorite is “There’s Always Something to Be Grateful For”

Today I am grateful the sun is shining and our stay at home order still allows us to be outside and exercise as long as you can follow the safe distance guidelines. I think my walking trail is ok!

153B5A0D-4824-4310-A560-2D40BE7FD5FA.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!