Keeping food cold in park bag

michellej47

Mouseketeer
My 14 yo DS has severe food allergies, and while Disney does an awesome job, there are times when we have a hard time finding something that he will eat. The last time we went, he barely ate anything more than chips, fruit, and french fries. This time, I would like to at least bring a sandwich in for him for lunch, but I'm wondering how I keep it cold. I hesitate to use ice because of the condensation and the mess it makes. I have a small thermal pouch that I can bring and a flat ice pack thing that goes inside of it. Do you think the "freezer" section of the fridge will be enough to freeze it back up each day? We are staying at OKW.

No...it won't freeze it. What we have done is just use alot of plastic bags. We fill a qt bag with ice then put that bag in a gallon bag then put that into a small kitchen garbage bag or waste paper basket bag.

That being said if the sandwich will be eaten by lunch the small ice pack (if kept in the fridge overnight) will likely keep it cool enough by mid day even in the hottest months of the year.

My 14 yo DS has severe food allergies, and while Disney does an awesome job, there are times when we have a hard time finding something that he will eat. The last time we went, he barely ate anything more than chips, fruit, and french fries. This time, I would like to at least bring a sandwich in for him for lunch, but I'm wondering how I keep it cold. I hesitate to use ice because of the condensation and the mess it makes. I have a small thermal pouch that I can bring and a flat ice pack thing that goes inside of it.
Do you think the "freezer" section of the fridge will be enough to freeze it back up each day?

if the sandwich will be eaten by lunch the small ice pack (if kept in the fridge overnight) will likely keep it cool enough by mid day even in the hottest months of the year.
Agree with LSUfan4444.

Also, for generations,folks have been holding until lunchtime nearly all kinds of sandwiches (within reason...) in bags without refrigeration.
Keep the thermal pouch out of direct sunlight.

What type of villa are you in at OKW? Anything other than a studio will have a full fridge with a freezer so you can freeze your ice pack there. I think even a chilled ice pack is better than nothing. I have, personally, double bagged ice to place in thermal bags and it worked fine without creating condensation. I put the ice in the first bag, seal it, and then place it in the second bag and then seal that. I've never had issues.

No...it won't freeze it. What we have done is just use alot of plastic bags. We fill a qt bag with ice then put that bag in a gallon bag then put that into a small kitchen garbage bag or waste paper basket bag.

That being said if the sandwich will be eaten by lunch the small ice pack (if kept in the fridge overnight) will likely keep it cool enough by mid day even in the hottest months of the year.

Thanks, but not sure I can take advice from you after ya'll beat up on my poor Gamecocks this weekend!! :):)

What type of villa are you in at OKW? Anything other than a studio will have a full fridge with a freezer so you can freeze your ice pack there. I think even a chilled ice pack is better than nothing. I have, personally, double bagged ice to place in thermal bags and it worked fine without creating condensation. I put the ice in the first bag, seal it, and then place it in the second bag and then seal that. I've never had issues.

We are in a Studio.

Thanks, but not sure I can take advice from you after ya'll beat up on my poor Gamecocks this weekend!! :):)
The way we have been playing, that was a miracle. LOL. I wasn't expecting us to do that well. Geaux!

So that little freezer section won't keep small ice cream cups either? I have used them at other places and haven't had a problem freezing my ice packs but maybe they stayed in longer than just overnight. I am also staying in a studio at OKW in a month

I have a small thermal pouch that I can bring and a flat ice pack thing that goes inside of it. Do you think the "freezer" section of the fridge will be enough to freeze it back up each day? We are staying at OKW.
Another workaround if you really want to use frozen flat-pack(s.)
Bring three flat-packs.
Have two freezing continuously (24-48 hours) while you are using the third in the park.
Then, rotate to one of the others the next day.

From experience, the abbreviated menus make it even harder for food allergy choices. Took my son’s friend with us 2 weeks ago who can’t eat meat or meat by products.

I’m local, so coming from home. I packed frozen water bottles and snacks he could eat. By noon, the frozen water bottles weren’t very frozen.

I use ice from the ice machine that I double bag in Ziplocks and have never had a problem with leaking. If needed you can wrap the first (inner) bag in a paper towel to catch condensation. You can get more ice at any QS location.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/rules-updates-parks-resorts/

“ Why is loose or dry ice not permitted in your parks?
In order to improve guest flow, ease congestion and streamline the bag-check and entry processes, loose and dry ice is not permitted. Reusable ice packs are recommended.

What happens if I need ice for baby food, medicine, or some other item?
Reusable ice packs are recommended. Cups of ice are available at no charge at Food & Beverage locations.”

Last edited:
Go Cocks! Went to USC.... but even better, Go Bulls (USF)
7CAa.gif

So - can someone clarify? Last February 2020 - I took a bag of loose ice in a quart Ziploc bag into the park to keep some stuff cold. And I know for a fact the security guard found it as I entered the park. So - I thought "no loose ice" meant in a larger cooler or something where they would have to go searching through the ice to see what was in it. Did the guard just not make a deal of it? Or was that wrong?

Not allowed anymore.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/rules-updates-parks-resorts/

“ Why is loose or dry ice not permitted in your parks?
In order to improve guest flow, ease congestion and streamline the bag-check and entry processes, loose and dry ice is not permitted. Reusable ice packs are recommended.

What happens if I need ice for baby food, medicine, or some other item?
Reusable ice packs are recommended. Cups of ice are available at no charge at Food & Beverage locations.”

Unless something has changed since last month it absolutely is allowed. I‘m a huge fan of brownbagging in the parks and used bagged ice at least three days of my trip. Loose ice is no longer allowed but I’ve probably brought bagged ice in several dozen times since the loose ice ban began.

The way we have been playing, that was a miracle. LOL. I wasn't expecting us to do that well. Geaux!

So that little freezer section won't keep small ice cream cups either? I have used them at other places and haven't had a problem freezing my ice packs but maybe they stayed in longer than just overnight. I am also staying in a studio at OKW in a month

When are you there?? We are 11/21 to 11/27.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter