Keeping food cold in park bag

Unless something has changed since last month it absolutely is allowed. I‘m a huge fan of brownbagging in the parks and used bagged ice at least three days of my trip. Loose ice is no longer allowed but I’ve probably brought bagged ice in several dozen times since the loose ice ban began.
Yes, you can absolutely bring bagged ice in. It's loose ice that was banned earlier last year, big difference there.

If you stick a reusable ice pack in a full ice bucket, will it feeeze? enough to keep sandwich cold until lunch?

I can't imagine a sandwich going bad without ice by lunch time.
I bring veggies and stuff like homemade chicken salad. If it’s a ham sandwich I don’t chill unless it’s really hot out or I’ll be eating late.1FFF61B4-CBE2-4234-88CA-08ABE6C71EF3.png

Sandwiches packed in a cooler of any type are so prone to condensation and/or squishing. I'd take something else. Without knowing his allergies, I'd consider:

- Boiled eggs
- Crackers
- Vegetable slices
- Cheese sticks
- Ham and cheese roll-ups
- Pickles
- Pepperoni or beef snacks
- Peanut butter, pimento cheese, or cream cheese on celery sticks
- Grilled chicken strips

Sandwiches packed in a cooler of any type are so prone to condensation and/or squishing. I'd take something else. Without knowing his allergies, I'd consider:

- Boiled eggs
- Crackers
- Vegetable slices
- Cheese sticks
- Ham and cheese roll-ups
- Pickles
- Pepperoni or beef snacks
- Peanut butter, pimento cheese, or cream cheese on celery sticks
- Grilled chicken strips

Nuts, dairy, and eggs. There are very little "portable" foods he can eat, sadly.

If you stick a reusable ice pack in a full ice bucket, will it feeeze? enough to keep sandwich cold until lunch?
No, it requires refrigeration to freeze ice pack. Sandwich will be fine with ice pack in small soft side cooler.

I would think the sandwich should stay cool with a small cold pack. I guess it won't have mayo

Off topic...

Go Cocks! Went to USC.... but even better, Go Bulls (USF)
DH went to USF BEFORE they had sports ( 1975 ). :D I would say Go 'Noles but sadly another bad season.

I have found if you get a locker the food stays cold a lot longer. We had this issue last week at the parks. I bought empty zip locks and filled them with ice inside the park... ice is free :)

A bag full of ice cubes at 27 degrees F has slightly more cooling power than the same
bag of ice cubes at 29 degrees which has slightly more cooling power than the same
bag of ice cubes at 31 degrees which has tremendously more cooling power than the same
bag with an equal amount of (liquid) water at 33 degrees which has slightly more cooling power than
the same bag of water at 35 degrees which has slightly more cooling power than the
same bag of water at 37 degrees.

Similarly, a cold pack must be frozen solid in order to have significant cooling power (ability to keep food or other items so much below room temperature for so much time), although the magic number at which it freezes or melts may be different from 32 degrees F.

I would not assemble the sandwich. Most kids just eat meat, bread and some type of sauce like mustard/mayo (get the small to go pkgs). I would keep the meat in the original packaging, like a small pack of lunchmeat with 5-8 slices. Put the bread in the Tupperware type square bowl so it won't get smashed. Double bag the ice in Ziploc bags and put it in a small collapsible cooler/insulated lunch bag on top of the prepackaged meat. If he's a lite eater just roll the meat and fold it and put it in a small Tupperware type bowl and put that and the ice in the small collapsible/insulated lunch bag.

If he eats like my teenage nephews he'll easily eat 3 sandwiches and some chips. 3 sandwiches will easily use the small package of lunchmeat. So he can throw away the small plastic packaging and dump the ice when he's finished.

I thought about this so he could carry a small backpack and keep his lunch and snacks with him.

Most of the DVC studios do not have a refrigerator with a freezer section. If you get one with the freezer section, you'll be lucky. But the freezer section is very small and doesn't freeze hard.

They make leak proof soft sided coolers that you can fill with ice. That's what we have used in the past. I can't recall the brand we had, but it worked great. We had a lot of food allergies to deal with as well so we had to be able to bring food. Like others have said you can always bag the ice in ziplocs to help minimize leaking as well.

Like others have said you can always bag the ice in ziplocs to help minimize leaking as well.
I believe the prohibition against bringing loose ice through security is still in effect, so I would recommend bringing some ziplock bags to keep the ice in. You can refill the bags each morning at your resort and, if you need to, get a cup of ice from a quick service to refill the bags during the day.

They make leak proof soft sided coolers that you can fill with ice. That's what we have used in the past. I can't recall the brand we had, but it worked great. We had a lot of food allergies to deal with as well so we had to be able to bring food. Like others have said you can always bag the ice in ziplocs to help minimize leaking as well.
You aren't allowed to have just loose ice in coolers as of last year. You can have ice that is in bags, which is why that's suggested a lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter