Killer bees in SoCal!

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Yikes! This morning a swarm of 40,000 killer bees attacked several people in Pasadena (about eight miles east of LA - attack was approx. half-a-mile from Caltech). Four or fives years ago, Main Street at DL was temporarily closed on a Wednesday morning when I was there. It was because there was a swarm of bees in/near one of the trees. I’d never realized that bees of any sort were a problem here - I’ve lived in LA for nearly seven years.
Story here.

03842AFA-F023-463B-AAB2-9FEAA9A964B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Yikes. Hope everyone is ok. Impressive they new it was 40,000. It sounds like guessing jelly beans in a jar.

Apparently this happened on Thursday (it's just being reported today). A professional beekeeper was called in to remove the hive. That's where the 30-40,000 bee estimate came from.

I have an irrational fear of bees. They terrify me! They are everywhere here in San Diego buy a neighbor told me they spray here or the population would be out of control, so they’re sleepy. I have no idea if this is true, but the bees here seem to be sleepy.

Nope nope nope nope nope

Bees (and wasps, yellow jackets, etc) are the one thing I'm terrified of. Like full on panic mode terrified. I can't even look at a picture without having a moment of fear before I can convince myself that it's fake.

I accept and truly believe bees are necessary to a healthy ecosystem, but I will still always be terrified of them. I also accept my fear is totally irrational. There was a dead bee in our costume shop yesterday and I noped so fast out of there until it was removed.

I would be screaming if I encountered this.

[gazes at the snow clouds forming out my window for what feels like the 2,209 time this winter, but feels a sudden gratitude for the bug-killing properties of living under ice for three months every year....]

They are everywhere here in San Diego
Yes, they are. We've had to have hives removed from our yard 3 times. There are always bees here. I've been stung a few times in my swimming pool. I just cannot believe that there is a bee shortage. I keep telling those who panic about the bee shortage that the bees just moved into my area, like everyone else does.

Several times, I've driven through a swarm of bees on the 56. It looks like a black storm. Gotta be quick rolling up those windows when I see that coming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!