Laptop Specification Recommendations

3boymthr

DIS Veteran
My middle DS wants a gaming laptop. I know a little bit about computers, but not a lot. Things I know, he does not want Alienware. It needs to be 15" or less in size. The lighter weight the better. PC platform is best because he has games that are PC platform. One other thing I know - he will be using military barracks wifi so it needs a broad spectrum of wifi capability. We have a budget of about $2,000 more or less including accessories such as a laptop bag, etc. Target date to have the laptop in hand is Christmas. Can anyone help with recommended specs, brands (besides Dell which he hates), software to include.

I like the above choice from @Heather07438 or something similar. You should be able to save a little going with AMD Ryzen vs. Intel unless he is picky about such matters. The gamers are loving the Ryzen processors as you get a lot of bang for your buck. I am considering one for my next desktop build.

The laptop linked is a powerhouse, especially for the price of $1200. Great for the money and should last him for years for gaming, school, productivity. It's light, great battery life and super quick. I think these are things your DS will find important with use. Use this model as a benchmark for specs if comparing other models. It doesn't have a webcam but kids don't care since they use their superior phone cameras now anyway, just like most laptops dont bother with CDrom slot either because now everything's avail online. I wouldn't worry too much about software but do make sure he keeps a good virus program and downloads Spybot :)

There's an $1800+ snazzy Razor out there but it's not so much better that it's worth 50%+ price hike, it's more for professionals who need that little bit better screen and video card and to feel like they have the best available.

Oh. Yeah, one other spec. Currently he is in SC. Transferring to OK for training for several months then where ever the Army sends him next so he wants a camera as he wants to be able to Zoom/google meet/Skype with us and his grandparents and his friends and his girlfriend.

Oh. Yeah, one other spec. Currently he is in SC. Transferring to OK for training for several months then where ever the Army sends him next so he wants a camera as he wants to be able to Zoom/google meet/Skype with us and his grandparents and his friends and his girlfriend.

Pretty much every laptop made now has a camera built-in, but as long as the laptop has a USB port open, he can always plug in a separate webcam that props on top. They are about the size of a small pack of chewing gum. My gamer DS likes having a portable hard drive hooked on; his is 3 TB. You might also consider a plug-in second keyboard that is easier to type on (wired will be faster than wireless bluetooth) -- he can tell you if he thinks that will add too much to move in his allowed baggage.

What about headphones with a mike? Like a gaming headset? Does he have that? Or need it? I don't know if the laptop would have a built in mike. You might add that to your requirements, otherwise. My sons use a gamining headset with a mike, though.

Can’t speak on gaming laptops per se but when I need info and reviews on a specific electronic devices’ capability and performance I go to the following sites and get an education :

cnet.com
wirecutter.com
and links for various PC magazines/blogs

HTH and GL

I’m pretty knowledgeable in the PC gaming space (I’ve been building my own PCs for 25 years). I recommend you check out Newegg.com. I buy all of my PC parts there and some really good laptop deals can be found. For gaming you are needing a good CPU and GPU. With a budget of 2,000, I would look at least a laptop that had at least an RTX 2070.

These two are good for the price...

https://www.newegg.com/rog-strix-g15-black-asus-g512lw-es76-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235464
https://www.newegg.com/rog-strix-g-...w-es74-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235461

I’m pretty knowledgeable in the PC gaming space (I’ve been building my own PCs for 25 years). I recommend you check out Newegg.com. I buy all of my PC parts there and some really good laptop deals can be found. For gaming you are needing a good CPU and GPU. With a budget of 2,000, I would look at least a laptop that had at least an RTX 2070.

These two are good for the price...

https://www.newegg.com/rog-strix-g15-black-asus-g512lw-es76-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235464
https://www.newegg.com/rog-strix-g-...w-es74-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235461

Aren't each of those larger than the 15" size limit?

Costco has a few gaming laptops. They also come with a 6 month return policy and 2 years of service.
While I know nothing of gaming specs, def. check Costco. The only reason I wouldn't buy from Costco would be if they didn't have what I wanted (their selection will be much more limited than Best Buy or Amazon.)

In general, you are going to want a laptop with an Intel Core i7 (or AMD Ryzen 7) or better CPU, 16GB or more of RAM, a 256GB or larger SSD (don't get a traditional HDD unless it's a secondary drive... I guess), full HD or 4k display, a dedicated graphics card with at least 6GB of VRAM, and preferably a long battery life.

So, one of the ASUS Rog's other people have mentioned would be great. I'd also suggest the MSI GS65 Stealth-007 but that's currently not available on Amazon for some reason and on newegg it's selling for over 2k.

Although I just now saw your 15" or less specification, and ... ick. Why is that a necessity?

Last edited:
While I know nothing of gaming specs, def. check Costco. The only reason I wouldn't buy from Costco would be if they didn't have what I wanted (their selection will be much more limited than Best Buy or Amazon.)

Also, be careful of buying from Amazon. For PCs, they are now selling a LOT of third party retailers instead of having PCs for sale themselves. (Amazon says this is their part in helping to promote independent, small businesses.) Yet, those PCs may not have the same 30 day return policy as Amazon.

Since these businesses can have their own return policies, especially for computer equipment, they may make it next to impossible to return stuff - especially if it's been opened for any reason. Some of these third party retailers have questionable feedback ratings. :scared:

Whereas, if Amazon sells an item themselves or even "fulfills" the order, meaning it ships from Amazon, and you have to call customer service for some reason, it's covered under Amazon's return policy and they usually very generously take care of the situation. (At least it's been that way in the few times I've had to call.)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!