Last Minute Mini Trip Help

CaliforniaGirl09

DIS Veteran
I'm so excited. I just closed on an add-on-BLT resale contract and had some banked points that were due to expire at the end of May. The points showed up in my account on Thursday. I added a night to our Dark Side stay in April at AKL, which left me with 56 points. I didn't want to hassle with trying to rent them last minute and realized that we were going to be in Maui for ten days over Spring Break (at least DD18 and I will be--poor DS21 and DH have to fly back earlier). DISers on another thread were talking about Aulani, and it suddenly occurred to me that we could do a quick island hop over there in the middle of our Maui stay. We have a place to stay in Maui so we don't pay for accommodation so I'm not double paying :) Luck was with me, and I was able to score an Island Garden View Studio for two nights for exactly the nights I wanted. I'm *thrllled*. What a fun use of these points that might have gone to waste. We've been dying to check it out, but when you have free accommodations in Maui, it's a little harder to motivate to spend the points. I was able to get the interisland flights with straggler miles in different FF accounts so that made it pretty painless.

Of course, I'm already making up for all my savings with my other plans. I've read through a bunch of the recent threads on this board to get ideas. I've booked a Cabana at the Adult pool for our getaway day. We fly out late so we'll have all day. DD18 is a redhead and the $$ is worth it to not have to hunt down shade chairs for our one long pool day. I booked an excursion to Pearl Harbor on the full day since DD18 hasn't been there. I booked Ama Ama for breakfast one day, and the character buffet dinner at Mahakiki on our arrival night. I'm thinking about heading over to Michael Mina's restaurant at the Four Seasons for our other dinner, but I'm not sure whether they'll let DD18 in for happy hour menu? We have Monkeypod on Maui so don't want to eat there. I was tempted on Ray's, but it sounds as if it might not be walkable? Any other restaurant recommendations?

We won't have a car. I'm planning to just use the flat rate taxi option.

Any don't miss things to do on our pool day? Lazy river will be #1. If any of you have stayed in an island garden view studio, I'd appreciate help with my location requests. So far, I'm going with high floor, but should I request a certain room or building?

Thanks for the help :)

Hi there CaliforniaGirl09. We have Aulani points and go usually every other year (interchange with WDW trips). I love to get drinks at the Olelo room and listen to the live music (most nights it is Hawaiian/Hawaiian style). They have an appetizer menu so you really could make a dinner out of it. Don't miss being outside at 7am to hear the morning chant. I usually try to time the start of my morning run (down to the Marina) to be walking out of the elevator lobby and walking towards the beach pathway at 7 so that I can hear it. Another thing that I can highly recommend on-site is the Aulani luau. I really don't like luaus and we never spend the time to do them. DH really wanted to try the new Aulani one this past spring break and I begrudgingly said yes. It was awesome from both a show and food perspective.

Sounds like you will be doing a resort only trip this time, but tons of great things to see on other parts of the island on future trips when you rent a car.

Taking pictures during sunset. Morning walk on the beach. Olelo Room or Monkey Pod for happy hour (save $$ for dinner).

Hi there CaliforniaGirl09. We have Aulani points and go usually every other year (interchange with WDW trips). I love to get drinks at the Olelo room and listen to the live music (most nights it is Hawaiian/Hawaiian style). They have an appetizer menu so you really could make a dinner out of it. Don't miss being outside at 7am to hear the morning chant. I usually try to time the start of my morning run (down to the Marina) to be walking out of the elevator lobby and walking towards the beach pathway at 7 so that I can hear it. Another thing that I can highly recommend on-site is the Aulani luau. I really don't like luaus and we never spend the time to do them. DH really wanted to try the new Aulani one this past spring break and I begrudgingly said yes. It was awesome from both a show and food perspective.

Sounds like you will be doing a resort only trip this time, but tons of great things to see on other parts of the island on future trips when you rent a car.
That sounds awesome. I'm totally up for the drinks and mini-meals at the bar :) And thanks so much for the head's up on the morning chant. I love stuff like that and maybe it will help getting me out of bed for a morning walk, LOL. I was going back and forth on the Luau. I'll have to check the timing since we only have two nights. Might have to try to squeeze that in--I'm a sucker for those anyway. We go to the ones in Wailea semi-frequently (usually when guests are there). Thanks so much!

Taking pictures during sunset. Morning walk on the beach. Olelo Room or Monkey Pod for happy hour (save $$ for dinner).
A second Olelo room! Sounds like it's a must do. LOVE sunset pics, too. Thanks for help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!