• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Last minute tips for a non-parental unit traveling with 9 kids???

denisem

DIS Veteran
My SIL & I are taking 9 of her grandchildren (ages 9-14) on their 1st trip to WDW. I'm a WDW pro, but not with kids, much less this many at once! ;)

Here's where we stand on "important" stuff: Have consent/emergency medical authorization forms, rented a 6 bedroom house at Windsor Palms and a 15 passenger van. Told the kids to bring along personal CD players/video games to help occupy them on airport waiting/plane trip, etc.

Have printed out cards with our cellphone numbers (along with plans to meet at a park "landmark") if someone DOES happen to get separated.

Have a few PS's made for buffet character meals, but will mostly rely on fast-food walk-ups onsite & family-type venues offsite. If there's a rainy day, we'll spring for DisneyQuest or a movie.

OK, veterans with kids in this age range...what am I forgetting or TOTALLY ignorant of?? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Denise < --- will EITHER have a great time - OR - y'all will see us on the 11 o'clock news next week: "Children Duct-Tape Adults to Bed in Orlando and Run Rampant with Their Credit Cards" ;).

It sounds like you have your bases covered. But here is some Pixie Dust to cover the rest!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did you remember the motion sickness medicine,a over the counter, Mechlizine[25 mg ask at Walgreens or Walmart at the pharmacy] works great even for kids.

Just a suggestion, have you thought of getting those FRS radios (walkie-talkies)? I went with a group of seven people and found that while staying together was a lovely thing, it was rather unwieldy at times. We had three radios and it was excellent, worked within each park so well, and only once in eight days did we ever even hear someone on the same channel as us. We had Motorola Talkabouts.

Make sure each kid has his/her own park map, and that you have meeting places designated in case you get separated. Also, each kid should have his/her own fanny pack for cameras, snacks, spending money, emergency phone #s, etc.

Do any of them have asthma? Make sure they bring their inhalers with them to the parks. Also, bring some moleskin and bandaids.

Are they from different families? Will they all have the same amount of souvenir money and the same criteria for how they can spend it? You might want to work issues like that out so that there aren't hard feelings at the time. Not that it should be fair, necessarily (life isn't) but maybe there should be some discussion about it.

Can we come? It sounds like a blast!

Edit: BTW, my sister has 9 kids (all one family!) and I have 3. We've done some traveling together, and have gotten good at counting to make sure we haven't lost anyone! At least your gang is all old enough to handle themselves if they do get separated.

I just wanted to say have a GREAT time! This trip will be great for them, lots of good memories to be made.

Are you planning on splitting up at all, or trying to stay together for the most part? My thought is to make sure each child gets to do their favorite ride (or at least the one they're most interested in, if they've never been before). Younger or quieter kids don't always get much say in what's going on and I can imagine some disappointment if they miss their favorite. Just a thought.

Originally posted by denisem

Denise < --- will EITHER have a great time - OR - y'all will see us on the 11 o'clock news next week: "Children Duct-Tape Adults to Bed in Orlando and Run Rampant with Their Credit Cards" ;).

This made me laugh so loud my daughter and husband thought I was nuts. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time, I look forward to your trip report.

Thanks for all the good advice! (Du-uh, can't believe I didn't think of the fanny pack thing - I'm the fanny pack queen!). But we're prepared with all the prescription (and non) meds, so I won't be too hard on myself ;)

We'll probably let the older kids go off on their own within the parks. I'm a bit paranoid about this since I'm 49 & childless by choice, so I sometimes FORGET that 12-14 y.o.'s can be credited with sense and responsibility ;). Actually, the younger kids will have the better deal goin' around with US: We'll be SURE they see all the best stuff! ;).

The "spending money" question is a very good point. SIL has made it clear this trip is on her dime, but since I'll be able to freely contribute during the trip, we can be pretty equitable in offering a set amount for souveniers for each of them (above and beyond their daily food/drink cost).

FRS radios...arghhh! LOL My techie husband bought a really good set a few years back...found out last month he sold them (since we never used them).

I think we should be ok...I just want to walk the fine line between being responsible/prepared, while still keepin' this whole endeavor a 'FUN' thing for the kids.

Thanks!

Denise < --- is totally jazzed about "infecting" another generation with the joy/wonder of all that is Disney :)

We rented a house and it was great! You'll probably have to drag the kids away from the pool to go to the parks.

Hit super Walmart on your way to the house. Have the kids pick out their favorite snacks that will fit in their fanny packs. Every morning they can fill their own with what they want. This will save you tons of money. They also sell straps to hang water bottles. Freeze the bottles the night before and everyone will have a cold drink at their disposal all day. (especially if it's 86 degrees like it is this week)

This is a wonderful thing you are doing! I know you'll have a ball! :)

If you have any guide books, you could let the kids browse through them on the trip down. It might help them in deciding what their most important, can't miss rides might be. Also, if you have a set this park on this day along with a list of the rides the kids want to experience, you could plan your touring route in advance so as not to miss any rides they want to go on.

Last minute tips for a non-parental unit traveling with 9 kids???
RUN, HONEY, RUN!!!! AS FEET AS YOUR FEET CAN GO!!!

You are a much better woman than I am!:earseek: :earseek: :earseek: :earseek: :earseek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter