Leaving NY

Princess_Ariel_5

Mouseketeer
My husband and I have been living and teaching high school in NYC for the past 7 years. We are both originally from NY (upstate and Queens) but lately, we’ve been itching to leave. Our families are here, so that makes it hard to leave but we have been considering leaving more seriously recently. We’ve always discussed it on and off for the past few years but always ended up on staying in our comfort zones. But now, we had a long talk and came to the realization that we cannot have the life we want in NY. We will never be able to afford a house that we want in an area that we want. That is just one of many reasons we are considering a move. However, what holds me back is the teaching salaries in other states. We do not have kids and are planning to remain child free, so we’d just have to worry about the two of us. We are considering NC (I have a good friend in Apex) and PA (I have extended family in the Harrisburg area). I know these states are large, of course, so I haven’t really pinpointed exact areas we’d want to be in yet, as we are still just researching and talking it out.

I wanted to ask if anyone had any advice, personal experience, or just tips to share. Thanks in advance!

My DH was almost transferred to Charlotte years ago, they flew him down to check out the area. There are so many NYC metro transplants down there, and of course it’s less expensive. DH would’ve kept his NYC salary, I don’t know how much teachers make there.

Bethlehem, Nazareth & Forks PA were the home of a great exodus of NYers back in the 90's. It's way less expensive than NY or NJ, the tax rates are so much better and Transbridge Bus lines brings commuters back and forth to NYC when that is needed. I have known a few people who commute into NJ for better salaries in teaching, hospitals and business so I'd recommend looking here. Plus, the areas home prices never quite recovered from the housing bust so you an easily grab a steal.

I would look beyond the surface things like teacher salaries.

Look at the benefit packages, and cost of living in the areas you are considering. Salaries may be lower, but you might not be paying state income tax (or a much lower rate), or property taxes may be much less. Home prices may be way less, heating/air conditioning may be less. Lots of aspects to consider.

Look at the overall picture, not just the pay stub.

I would look beyond the surface things like teacher salaries.

Look at the benefit packages, and cost of living in the areas you are considering. Salaries may be lower, but you might not be paying state income tax (or a much lower rate), or property taxes may be much less. Home prices may be way less, heating/air conditioning may be less. Lots of aspects to consider.

Look at the overall picture, not just the pay stub.

Thanks! That’s also what I’m trying to do. I have been looking at cost-of-living calculators and looking up taxes and home prices. It seems we COULD have the life we want even with the pay cut, but I’m nervous and want to hear from real life people if they made it work. I’m just not happy in NY anymore and it sucks.

One where I can afford a home of my own with a yard. One where I can run around my neighborhood and know my neighbors. One where I can just relax and breathe and not be jostled in the hustle and bustle of the city.
It seems like family is important to you (as you mentioned it a couple of times). If you were to go down South, say, you would be ok with not having family right nearby? I think another thing to consider is weather. Are you ok with winters as they are in NY? Or would you prefer to not have to deal with snow and ice? How concerned with safety are you? As Jim said, lots to think about. I would say, if you don’t mind winters, to consider NH, but home costs for what you want could be relatively high there, too, and look into taxes there.

ETA

https://www.homesnacks.net/these-are-the-10-best-places-to-live-in-new-hampshire-125121/

Last edited:
Thanks! That’s also what I’m trying to do. I have been looking at cost-of-living calculators and looking up taxes and home prices. It seems we COULD have the life we want even with the pay cut, but I’m nervous and want to hear from real life people if they made it work. I’m just not happy in NY anymore and it sucks.
Are you stuck on being on the coast? or consider "flyover" midwest? Especially if you really want a house with yard and neighborhood communities. As long as you aren't too far from an airport "hub" in major city flights aren't a huge issue to get to see family. We may need to drive 3 hours occasionally to get way better flight prices, trade off is community where we know our neighbors, know the chief of police, mayor, etc are active in the community and low cost of living. I actually think teachers may be in a position now to kinda move where they want and get the job/salary they want...I have several teachers living on my street (all levels from elementary through college).
Good luck to you! We have moved multiple times past 20 years (MO-TX-MO-AR-MO). It's not easy but research helps.

Thank you everyone!

Are you stuck on being on the coast? or consider "flyover" midwest? Especially if you really want a house with yard and neighborhood communities. As long as you aren't too far from an airport "hub" in major city flights aren't a huge issue to get to see family. We may need to drive 3 hours occasionally to get way better flight prices, trade off is community where we know our neighbors, know the chief of police, mayor, etc are active in the community and low cost of living. I actually think teachers may be in a position now to kinda move where they want and get the job/salary they want...I have several teachers living on my street (all levels from elementary through college).
Good luck to you! We have moved multiple times past 20 years (MO-TX-MO-AR-MO). It's not easy but research helps.

I’m not stuck on being on the coast, but I would like to stay as close to family as possible. Where do you live with all those teachers? Do they like it there?

There are other places within NY to consider as well. My zip code 14617 is one of the hottest in the country currently. Our cost of living is much less than NYC and we have great neighborhoods. We are close to the lake and many parks. I am a teacher and would never go to some states that do not pay their teachers for their worth. I have friends who have taught as many years as me (starting my 26th year) who make half the amount I make. That is criminal in my mind. When I was at a conference in Colorado I was appalled at what teachers made in that state.

ETA: A district south of Buffalo have had 100 staff members resign. Buffalo is a great place too. Again close to lakes and many parks. https://www.wkbw.com/news/coronavirus/wave-of-resignations-hit-williamsville-school-district

There are other places within NY to consider as well. My zip code 14617 is one of the hottest in the country currently. Our cost of living is much less than NYC and we have great neighborhoods. We are close to the lake and many parks. I am a teacher and would never go to some states that do not pay their teachers for their worth. I have friends who have taught as many years as me (starting my 26th year) who make half the amount I make. That is criminal in my mind. When I was at a conference in Colorado I was appalled at what teachers made in that state.

ETA: A district south of Buffalo have had 100 staff members resign. Buffalo is a great place too. Again close to lakes and many parks. https://www.wkbw.com/news/coronavirus/wave-of-resignations-hit-williamsville-school-district

My concern with staying in NY is that I feel like outside of NYC, it is so extremely difficult to secure a job, especially in the suburban districts.

There are so many retirements happening that in this area there are many openings. My student teacher has had 4 interviews and was just hired. There are so many different school districts suburban/urban/rural in just Western NY. My friend lives in one town. She teaches in the city while her husband drives to a rural district. They both have a 30 minute commute. Before you give up on NY give a look at other places around the state. You may be done with the taxes and I get that but you will take a pay cut to leave the Northeast. When my cousin lived in VA - right outside of DC she was always trying to get me to move down there. I would have taken a 20,000 pay cut and the houses were so expensive.

There are so many retirements happening that in this area there are many openings. My student teacher has had 4 interviews and was just hired. There are so many different school districts suburban/urban/rural in just Western NY. My friend lives in one town. She teaches in the city while her husband drives to a rural district. They both have a 30 minute commute. Before you give up on NY give a look at other places around the state. You may be done with the taxes and I get that but you will take a pay cut to leave the Northeast. When my cousin lived in VA - right outside of DC she was always trying to get me to move down there. I would have taken a 20,000 pay cut and the houses were so expensive.

Thank you for that info!! I will definitely do my research

Thank you for that info!! I will definitely do my research
Honestly, NYS was my first thought for you, also. Certainly many beautiful, safe areas there, and close to family, still. Looking through news links, teachers are retiring in many areas Of the country due to the uncertainties with Covid. It would seem that experienced teachers may be able to negotiate pretty well if they’re willing to work.

We moved from Long Island to NC almost 18 years ago and have never looked back. We live outside of Winston-Salem, in a more rural area (we own a horse farm and I'm a professional trainer). But there are so many wonderful communities in NC...around the Triangle Cary, Apex, Raleigh...or the Triad (Winston-Salem, Clemmons, Kernersville) or the Charlotte area.

I agree with this ^^^^^

I'd be inclined to decide what is a reasonable drive to see family, and use that as a radius within which to relocate.

If you're comfortable with a 1 1/2 - 2 day drive to see family (very doable for schoolteachers during holiday breaks and summer), that really opens up a LOT of territory.

I'm south of Buffalo and know of the district that you are speaking of. Most of those 100 were not teaching staff but we definitely have a teacher shortage here in WNY. Lots of teaching jobs in the suburbs of Buffalo. Affordable housing too! Oh. I'm also a teacher. I teach beginning orchestra students.

My husband and I have been living and teaching high school in NYC for the past 7 years. We are both originally from NY (upstate and Queens) but lately, we’ve been itching to leave. Our families are here, so that makes it hard to leave but we have been considering leaving more seriously recently. We’ve always discussed it on and off for the past few years but always ended up on staying in our comfort zones. But now, we had a long talk and came to the realization that we cannot have the life we want in NY. We will never be able to afford a house that we want in an area that we want. That is just one of many reasons we are considering a move. However, what holds me back is the teaching salaries in other states. We do not have kids and are planning to remain child free, so we’d just have to worry about the two of us. We are considering NC (I have a good friend in Apex) and PA (I have extended family in the Harrisburg area). I know these states are large, of course, so I haven’t really pinpointed exact areas we’d want to be in yet, as we are still just researching and talking it out.

I wanted to ask if anyone had any advice, personal experience, or just tips to share. Thanks in advance!

This is such a personal decision. DS and family live in Queens, she's also a NYC teacher and he LOVES it there. Yet, we live in Rural Very South Texas, and hate the thought of NYC. However, we moved from Massachusetts to down here, and it's so much different, we're really glad we took the opportunity to move. You asked for advice-mine is to move.

Interestingly enough, the Williamsville school board just voted to put the superintendent on administrative leave. He tried to spin the story that the reason they weren't prepared to open school yet was due to over 100 teachers resigning. Many were retirements, only a small portion were teachers resigning. Also, he went above the board and just made to call to delay the opening, without running it by the board first. He's gone. What a time for any district to have this kind of stuff going on. And Williamsville is one of the best districts in the area, too.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!