Len Testa Interview

But didn't Fastpass+ launch in 2014? Isn't that a more obvious explanation of why wait times jumped so considerably since 2013?

It's not just the wait times from 2013 to now, but in the interview, he states that wait times increased the beginning of this year to almost any period for last year. So, they were specifically looking at the causes for that time frame. The TP site and blog have discussed several times that FP+ seems to have increased wait times for previously less popular attractions and maintained or decreased wait times for popular attractions. There are several articles on the blog over the past few years about this.

For those interested @lentesta has his own podcast that's a lot of fun. He's also done shows over the years with The Season Pass that really go into how the math was developed their episode #91 is just fascinating and Len really talks about how he came up with the ideas. I've played it numerous times for non-Disney fans who are numbers people and he breaks it down so amazingly... apparently I'm a big fan lol.

For those interested @lentesta has his own podcast that's a lot of fun. He's also done shows over the years with The Season Pass that really go into how the math was developed their episode #91 is just fascinating and Len really talks about how he came up with the ideas. I've played it numerous times for non-Disney fans who are numbers people and he breaks it down so amazingly... apparently I'm a big fan lol.

Thanks for sharing. I found The Season Pass episode but where can I find Len's own podcast?

Last edited:

Does anyone know what Disney's fiscal calendar looks like? I think Len mentioned Disney sending out a directive to the parks to cut capex and oppex for January (presumably the end of the 4th quarter?). It just made me wonder where each fiscal quarter starts and ends for Disney.

Does anyone know what Disney's fiscal calendar looks like? I think Len mentioned Disney sending out a directive to the parks to cut capex and oppex for January (presumably the end of the 4th quarter?). It just made me wonder where each fiscal quarter starts and ends for Disney.
Their fiscal year starts October 1.

I really appreciate Len and his crews passion for getting it correct. It really is a breath of fresh air to hear some one speak and be truly invested and passionate about the work that they do. I think it is a rare thing to come across as many people work and do their job, do their job well but at the same time not love what they do. I get the impression that the touring plans crew really love their work and working to make it the most reliable information out there with the scientific analysis to back it up.

Could you plan a trip with out touring plans -- sure, but i feel that any and all information that you can gather and utilize to create your trip will be a great benefit to hopefully you saving time and creating a more enjoyable trip.

I really enjoyed Len's interview. I've heard him from time to time on other podcasts, as well as letting friends know that his book, the Unofficial Guide to Disney series are amazing resources of information for those looking to plan their first-time vacations to Disney. While the interview was a response to the question of validity of crowd calendars (and I think Len's interview put a pretty full stop to THAT question)...I feel the responses/theories open up a more serious (perhaps conspiracy feeling conversation).

If there is any truth to the theory that WDW is cutting attraction capacity to alter crowd perception, and at the same time using such perception as ammunition to tout higher ticket prices, tier pricing, etc...that seems to me the more serious and egregious (though truth be told is it really ALL that shocking) story here.

Disney is a company out to make profit...blah blah blah...i get that...but the capacity-price-hike theory really starts to walk the dirty-greedy side of things.

I really hope that more and more people become aware of this, and the Disney higher ups either halt tier pricing for a time, and/or capacity is actually increased to more regular levels to at least partially decrease wait times, and improve guest experience.

I mean if you're going to cut capacity...cut it..but then don't turn around ask start asking for more money claiming crowds and wait times, when adding capacity would offset a substantial portion of the problem. Shady...

It started in late 2013 but legacy FP did exist before that which was the same concept. FP+ did add more attractions than legacy FP. I’m sure Len can go more in depth but if FP was the serious issue here I think he would’ve mentioned that.

I forget exactly when the added rides like Pirates and Haunted Mansion to having FP - I know those rides weren't designed for FP and seem to be rather inefficient for executing it. Felt like before being put on the FP system Pirates especially was a good people eater and rarely had long lines and now it pretty consistently gets decent lines, so i am sure things like that are negatively impacting wait times as well

Like I said above - I am sure it is multiple things

What a great interview. Who doesn't love big data?

I wonder how much the lost capacity at DHS (or whatever asinine name they are going to give it) trickles into the other parks. I have no doubt they are artificially retracting operational capacity as well but that is magnified with lower capacity due to out of service attractions.

Yeah, I thought that was an odd comment. Every publicly traded business runs on the same fiscal calendar. Begins October 1, ends Sept 30. Jan-Feb-Mar is the second fiscal quarter. You tend to see the most "cutbacks" in August and September as they try to frantically play catch up if their earnings look to be less than expected.

Yeah, I thought that was an odd comment. Every publicly traded business runs on the same fiscal calendar. Begins October 1, ends Sept 30. Jan-Feb-Mar is the second fiscal quarter. You tend to see the most "cutbacks" in August and September as they try to frantically play catch up if their earnings look to be less than expected.

Thanks, that's helpful.

I wonder if services like the crowd calendars actually cause sort of a negative feedback loop issue. If a bunch of guests see that MK is predicted to be less crowded on a particular day so they all go there, does that alter the outcome and make the park more crowded? Or are there not enough guests using this info to make a dent in the numbers? It's like you're giving out a secret and once everybody knows it, it no longer works.

Great interview though. Very interesting stuff. I've never used any sort of touring plan or crowd calendar as that isn't how we travel, but I've often heard about them.

I wonder if services like the crowd calendars actually cause sort of a negative feedback loop issue. If a bunch of guests see that MK is predicted to be less crowded on a particular day so they all go there, does that alter the outcome and make the park more crowded? Or are there not enough guests using this info to make a dent in the numbers? It's like you're giving out a secret and once everybody knows it, it no longer works.

Great interview though. Very interesting stuff. I've never used any sort of touring plan or crowd calendar as that isn't how we travel, but I've often heard about them.
I doubt there are enough people using them on a given day to make a significant change.

I agree, I don't think enough people use them. I believe most visitors get the one park a day pass, so they will almost always go to the park with EMH hours to get more bang for their buck even though EMH days are the most crowded for whichever park has them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter