• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Letter to School about Vacation

The letter I am going to send to my kids' school:

Hey YOU'S....Im taking my kid to friggin Disney...you got a PROBLEM wit dat? If'n ya's do meet me at the flag pole at 3 oclock...and you better bring band-aids!

My DH is a middle school principal and as long as the school is notified before the trip, then the absences are excused. He always approves the request for family vacations as an educational oppurtunity. Most school districts in NC have that as an excusable absence. That being said, if a student has already missed a large number of school days, my DH makes sure that the parents and child know they are missing out on instruction time. While the work can be made up, the instruction they miss out on cannot be made up. And yes, that does matter when it comes time for the standardized tests. I don't understand why people get upset with the school districts for making sure students do well on them. If your job performance was judged by one test, wouldn't you make sure that your students knew what was going to be tested? The whole teaching to the test thing always cracks me up...of course they are teaching the test...why would you teach something that the standard course of study doesn't cover...if the standard course of study says X, Y, and Z are to be covered and you cover X, Y, and Z, then you have done your job. Student athletes are not going to practice basketball all week and then go play football on game day. I know that is another discussion altogether...back the original topic....It's also important to make sure that your teacher and school are told the trip weeks in advance...telling them on Friday and you leave on Saturday to be gone for the next two weeks and expecting all of your classwork isn't going to make them smile. If you tell them a month in advance, then arrangements can be made so that you can have the work in advance...not stuggling to get caught-up when you return. If you live in a school district that "forbids" these type of absences, then as long as you know the "consequences", make the best decision for your family...if you want to go, then go...just don't be upset with the school for enforcing their policies. It's your right to do what you want with your child.

Thanks guys for the suggestions and support!!!! I could never home school, but I can see why many families do, especially with Connecticut dictating the way we raise and educate our children. I will start drafting up my letter this week, so that the teachers have plenty of time to prepare work. My husband is finally retired from the navy, but works for a government company which already dictates when he can take leave, so we really have to work around his schedule, not the schools. I can understand that these rules are in place for a reason, but I dont think the children who are in the GIFTED programs (like my daughter) and that have maybe missed one day of school should be punished for the parents who are too lazy to get up to take their kids to school because they dont feel like it, or dont make them do their homework because they dont feel like it. I like the arguement about the extra activities and trips and teacher in service days....the cheerleader arguement is a great one, and very true. I am sure I will post my letter for your opinion. Whip.........I think I will use the legal action card also, should it come to that. Wish me luck everyone!!!

Some families can only go when the parents can get time off. I once had a student whose dad was a landscaper, actually our landscaper, so I knew that he couldn't take time off until the late fall early winter. Make sure you state THAT as your main reason for taking this particular time off.

Hey YOU'S....Im taking my kid to friggin Disney...you got a PROBLEM wit dat? If'n ya's do meet me at the flag pole at 3 oclock...and you better bring band-aids!

Now that is just funny!!! OUr trip 3 years ago, I got threatened with Social Services, bc I took my DS out of Kindergarten for one week!!! Just typed this years letter...hopefully I don't get detention!! :teacher:

EXACTLY!! :rotfl2:

OUr trip 3 years ago, I got threatened with Social Services, bc I took my DS out of Kindergarten for one week!!!

OMG!! That is just out of control! Seriously....Social Services because he missed Kindergarten? What could he have possibly missed....the class on coloring inside the lines!!!? :sad2:

OMG!! That is just out of control! Seriously....Social Services because he missed Kindergarten? What could he have possibly missed....the class on coloring inside the lines!!!? :sad2:

This is how it all starts - they miss a day of kindergarten and never develope the ability to color within the lines. Next thing you know, they're smoking in the bathroom at school instead of going to French class, they never learn to conjugate verbs properly, can't get a decent job and end up homless sleeping in an old Yugo under a bridge.

oh man, back in the day, smoking in the bathroom was like the worst thing you could get caught doing. my how things have changed. i remember i was sick one year for a whole week and i missed the math lesson on "borrowing", lol. I really haven't been quite the same since, lol.

These things can snowball. I missed the class on coloring within the lines...and by the time I hit high school I was accused of leaving my participle dangling.

Now that is just funny!!! OUr trip 3 years ago, I got threatened with Social Services, bc I took my DS out of Kindergarten for one week!!! Just typed this years letter...hopefully I don't get detention!! :teacher:

Do you live in CT - That sounds like something they would pull.

Well - The principal just called. That was intensely easy - Glad something decided to go my way. She basically told me what I already know that its our "right as parents to pull our children out of school - go ahead - have a wonderful trip." I really had back up plans of all sorts - a lawyer in my pocket - ready to throw down with the nice principal - but no need.

She did say that the absence would be unexcused - she is limited to what she can excuse (death - basically) - but we can have up to 20 days a year with unexcused absense before being truent.

She wont win any attendance records - but who really cares - We are going to the fort!!!!

Glad to hear it worked out for you. :thumbsup2 It's pretty much the same where we are. It's 18 days. If you're under the 18 you're not gonna have a problem...and they don't really care. If you're over the 18 days..that's a whole other issue and you're gonna find yourself going down a rocky road to get to Disney World. Gotta choose your battles. Then again..if a child already has 18 days out..they probably shouldn't be loosing another week for vacation.

As far as teaching to the test. (previous poster)..I believe that was directed at me...since I brought it up.
Having had children in school in the same community for 24 years now...(we have an 11 year age difference between our youngest and oldest child)...I can only speak as to what goes on here in NY. There have always been standardized tests that the kids took in certain grades. Iowa tests..the Metropolitan tests. These were given throughout the country.
However, in recent years(no child left behind :crazy2:) the testing has become ridiculous..to the point that that in the third grade children were preparing for the test that they will take in the FOURTH grade. The entire 2 years is spent on how to take the test. Not the curriculum per say,..but how to take the test. Specifically which words or phrases they should use in the essays. How to break your answer up so as to get partial credit..in the event that your answer is wrong. :confused: Heck..on the math portion..you don't even need a correct answer! They want to see the work broken down. If you don't have what they feel are the required steps..you can loose points..even if you have the correct answer. :confused3This is actually done so that the kid who has the wrong answer still can receive partial credit for question should his answer be wrong.
This situation has totally stressed out the teachers:scared:...and needlessly stressed out young children. The work is both monotonous and tedious. There is no room for spontaneity in the classroom. It just doesn't exsist. :sad1: The results of these tests pit school against school and even teacher against teacher. pirate: These results are published in our local papers. Who has the better results....?...well, that's the neighborhood you want to move to;)..and the house values will be higher. It's INSANE the ramifications that these tests have on the community. :sad2: Additionally, these have not replaced the old standardized tests..they are simply added to those the children are already taking starting in the 2nd grade. I'm sorry..but to me, that's just sad.

Thankfully, this year my younger son is a senior in high school..and we haven't had to deal with the mindless tests for elementary and middle school children in four years. :thumbsup2 Actually, once they enter high school New York State has what are called NYS Regents exams. :teacher: Which my son has done well on, and passed all of them. These Regents exams have been in place for MANY years. (even back when the dinosaurs walked the earth..when I took them:laughing:). These are the type of tests that I have NO issue with. They are based soley on the curriculum taught. Absolutely.. a parent wants to know that if their child took chemistry he can pass a chemistry regents! These NYS Regents exams are required for graduation. There are regents exams in Math, Science, Social Studies, and English...and even for foreign language should they use it as a sequence to graduate.
That being said, please understand, it's not that I'm anit-testing. It's in the younger elementary grades in particular, where we have experienced the change from learning and creativity to a "the test..the test...the test:eek:" attitude. Honestly, in my opinion, (and we all know what that's worth:laughing:) it did nothing but suck the life out of the elementary school learning experience and replace it with a pressure cooker enviornment that was of no use to either the school or the child. These kids forget the stuff five minutes after the test is over. :rolleyes:

You know, auntie, your post has got to win a DIS award for most use of different smiley icons in one post. Love it! :thumbsup2

So I handed in my letters for the boys today...and did not get a response back...not sure what that means!!!

Seriously not sure how the 1st and 3rd graders will end up later in life over this, but it's a chance I am willing to take:rotfl:

I wouldn't worry, if anything they can get a job dressed as some fuzzy, fictional character, giving you discounted tickets. I see this as a possitive. After all you have given them, they should support you!:rotfl:

:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter