Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I'm at the parents for a few days, and I forgot to bring running shoes.
There is a fitness studio nearby that is on ClassPass, so I may take a class tomorrow. I have online barre3 as an option. I have my marathon shoes, which have only been retired for a few months and have only been worn at WDW since their retirement. So I could try to do a short run in them. I'll decide tomorrow morning what I want to do, but for now, I'm thinking either ClassPass or online barre3 tomorrow, off day Monday (I'll be fasting), run Tuesday, and either off again Wednesday or a 7:45 PM class somewhere (MHRC or something close to my apartment) so that I can drop off my suitcase at the apartment after work.

Review: Bar Method

I had some ClassPass credits to use and my schedule for last week was a little weird, so I decided to replace my normal Thursday AM barre3 class with something ClassPass. I wanted a studio with showers so that I could wash my hair after class, and Bar Method fit into my schedule, has showers, and is a convenient location - so I signed up for an 8am class.

I wanted to be there 15 minutes before class, so my plan was to leave the apartment around 7:35, giving myself 10 minutes to get there. I was running a little late, but I also walked fast, so I got there pretty much exactly when I wanted to. I checked in at the front desk, was told to take off my shoes (okay, weird, why can't I take them off near the lockers?), and filled out a laminated waiver in dry-erase marker. My handwriting is messy when writing with a pen, so I'd be really surprised if they could read anything on there. Once I had filled out the paperwork, I was given a tour of the studio and introduced to the instructor. The staff was warm and welcoming, and once I was ready (aka had changed out of my street clothes and put on my grip socks), I went into the studio and started stretching. I really wasn't sure what spot I wanted, but I think I ended up somewhere okay.

Class was very clearly divided into sections - started with arms, moved on to legs, and then finished with core work. There were a lot of very small movements - a lot of the time I wasn't even sure if I was doing anything because the movements were so small that I didn't feel them. Sometimes we did the same movement for extended periods of time, and other times we'd switch between movements every 8 count. It took some getting used to. Oh, and the instructor's count was not always accurate, so she would say something like "15 left" and start counting down and we'd switch to something else after 5. It got very confusing.

In terms of corrections, modifications, etc - class definitely felt geared towards the regular who knew what was going on and what movements they were supposed to be doing, but the instructor did go around and help the beginners. There were some verbal callouts/modifications, which bothered me a lot at the beginning (I didn't need the entire class to know what I was doing wrong), but I eventually got used to. There was also some hands-on correction, which is much more what I'm used to. I could definitely tell that the instructor spent a lot of time looking around the class to make sure everyone was doing the exercises okay and with proper form.

After class, I showered and did my hair. The showers were decent (I used their shampoo/conditioner but my own body wash because allergies) and their blow dryer was fine (I brought my own iron). I finished getting ready for work, said thank you and goodbye to the instructor and the staff, and then I went to work.

Would I Go Again?
Probably. Overall, the staff and instruction were great, and the class wasn't bad, it just wasn't what I usually enjoy. That said, I could see myself liking it more with more classes, and it's super convenient (seriously ... I walk past this place all the time). I don't think it will become a regular part of my routine, but if I'm looking for a workout that's super convenient, this is probably my best option.

I have no idea what to do about this wine and dine situation. I really want to do it, but I think it will be a bad experience if I do it as a solo trip. I'm really torn here.

I have no idea what to do about this wine and dine situation. I really want to do it, but I think it will be a bad experience if I do it as a solo trip. I'm really torn here.

I'd do it and set down plans and actions you can take to make it a good solo experience. Not to sound like an armchair pop psychologist, but what if you write down the ways you think it could be a bad experience and then write down how you can address each one to make it a good experience? For example, and I'm not saying this is you at all, one common concern people express over going to a race solo is being in the corral and the race and running alone. One way to address this is to realize that most of our training is done alone, and if you can slog through a long run by yourself, you can easily make it through the race because there are many options along the way for interaction and distraction. Again, not saying this is you, but going through an exercise like this might help you find a way to look forward to race weekend.

Hard to give advice about this due to COVID19, because I’m genuinely concerned about travel disruptions through the end of the year. Normally I’d say go for it, because any negatives about going solo are usually outweighed by how awesome Run Disney trips are. A short trip would be over before you know it.

I enjoy solo trips because it allows me total freedom in doing what I want to. This includes restaurants, rides, characters, park hopping or not, et all.

On a solo trip to Disneyland in December the same weekend The Rise of Skywalker opened, the only things I chose to do that were not Star Wars based were eating meals outside of Galaxy's Edge, taking lightsaber photos in front of the castle, and visiting Mickey because my 2 year old nephew was under the weather that day and informed my sister that he wanted pictures of me in Disneyland to help him feel better. All the photos came from Galaxy's Edge and he told my sister that he wanted me to go meet Mickey and get a picture with him and my lightsaber.

I really enjoyed just being able to set my own agenda. If I wanted to watch Rey put together a wookiee roar soundalike contest with special guest judge Chewbacca, I could and not have to feel like I was either forcing my siblings to watch it with me or feel bad because I was not spending time with family because I wanted to just wander through Galaxy's Edge. I had a great time with two of my siblings and their children in December. I did not spend as much time in Galaxy's Edge on that trip as I would have when left to my own devices. And that's fine. I appreciated what time I did get there, but also got to enjoy my Solo time there a couple of weeks later.

So ... I was thinking about this Wine & Dine thing. Marathon weekend last year was a huge learning experience for me. I've done lots of races solo and that's not a problem, but the overall trip felt like it was lacking something. Most of the trip just felt extremely lonely, and the parts when I was with other people I felt extremely out of place. I think I'm a little better with the solo now (it was something I had struggled with a lot in life back then), but I don't know that I'm confident enough in that to do a solo Disney trip. So I think I'm out. Maybe I'll do marathon or princess weekend, but not this.

... Of course, this could all change at 9:58am tomorrow

Great reading about your princess weekend! I thought the 5k weather just sucked so bad! I also felt the weekend was a bit rushed but a good experience!

I also don’t like the renovated POP room, well I like the set up and look, but I hate the floors! I feel like I see all the dirt and it grosses me out!

What did you decide for wine and dine?

your making me want to get back into bar!!!

Great reading about your princess weekend! I thought the 5k weather just sucked so bad! I also felt the weekend was a bit rushed but a good experience!
I'm glad you had a good experience despite the crappy 5K weather!

I also don’t like the renovated POP room, well I like the set up and look, but I hate the floors! I feel like I see all the dirt and it grosses me out!
I too am not a huge fan of the floor. I much preferred the carpet.

What did you decide for wine and dine?
I ended up deciding not to register. I'm not sure I'm ready for another solo trip. Hopefully I can make marathon or princess work, and my sister and I are already talking about wine and dine 2021.

your making me want to get back into bar!!!
You should!! Barre is awesome.

As some of you may have heard, New York has a few confirmed cases of some fancy new coronavirus.
Thankfully, I haven't been exposed (that I'm aware of). My office is fully transitioning to work from home starting Thursday (I haven't been in the office since Monday for various reasons). I know a bunch of people whose kids are quarantined (although I don't personally know many adults who are quarantined).

But I'm still going to barre3. I went to FlyWheel. I'm still signed up for Pure Barre on Friday, but I may skip because I might run that morning instead (I have not run since last Wednesday). I went to prayer services Monday night and Tuesday and I'll probably go Saturday morning.

I am being careful. I'm washing my hands. I'm trying my best to avoid crowded subways (my plan is to walk the 4.5 miles home from barre3, but I'll take the subway there because it's not rush hour yet). I'm not asking people to sneeze on me. But ultimately, that's all I can do. I need to be able to live my life as normally as I can, and I have to hope that my efforts to limit my exposure (combined with hopefully people respecting quarantines) will be enough. At this point, that's the best I can do.

(Which isn't to say that people don't have a right to withdraw from all social situations and be even more cautious than I am ... it's just not for me. This is how I'm going to get through it. Other people have other methods. Every person will handle this situation differently, and that's just the way it is.)

(Edited to reword this entire post because I realized it sounded kinda obnoxious)

Last edited:
As some of you may have heard, New York has a few confirmed cases of some fancy new coronavirus.
Thankfully, I haven't been exposed (that I'm aware of). My office is fully transitioning to work from home starting Thursday (I haven't been in the office since Monday for various reasons). I know a bunch of people whose kids are quarantined (although I don't personally know many adults who are quarantined).

But I'm still going to barre3. I went to FlyWheel. I'm still signed up for Pure Barre on Friday, but I may skip because I might run that morning instead (I have not run since last Wednesday). I went to prayer services Monday night and Tuesday and I'll probably go Saturday morning.

I am being careful. I'm washing my hands. I'm trying my best to avoid crowded subways (my plan is to walk the 4.5 miles home from barre3, but I'll take the subway there because it's not rush hour yet). I'm not asking people to sneeze on me. But ultimately, that's all I can do. I need to be able to live my life as normally as I can, and I have to hope that my efforts to limit my exposure (combined with hopefully people respecting quarantines) will be enough. At this point, that's the best I can do.

(Which isn't to say that people don't have a right to withdraw from all social situations and be even more cautious than I am ... it's just not for me. This is how I'm going to get through it. Other people have other methods. Every person will handle this situation differently, and that's just the way it is.)

(Edited to reword this entire post because I realized it sounded kinda obnoxious)
I am glad you have a plan you can work with, and have some control over the issue.

Just an update:
The apocalypse hasn't happened, but you wouldn't know that from the lack of inventory at stores. I can't get canned veggies. Gotta eat fresh. Oh no.

I'm doing okay, just a lot going on. Most of the local synagogues are closed, so I'll be sleeping in on a Saturday for the first time in many many years. My dad is teaching via Zoom. NYC Half (which I wasn't running anyway) was canceled, but I may or may not join a "run anyway" group. Or I may just make another attempt at buying canned vegetables.

At least work is relatively normal. I still don't have my perfect WFH setup, but meetings are meetings and work is work.

I would not recommend attempting 13.1 after having only run 4 miles in the last 3 weeks and not having run in a week and a half.
On the plus side, once I did the stupid thing, I registered for the virtual race that enters me in a drawing to win guaranteed entry to next year's NYC Half:

Literally just waiting for the email that my barre studio is closing ... Mile High Run Club is already closed, as is the barre studio I went to closer to my apartment (bar method). Pure Barre still seems to be open, so that could be an option, but we'll see how long that lasts. Everyone has reduced class capacities.

The apocalypse is scary, y'all.

Literally just waiting for the email that my barre studio is closing ... Mile High Run Club is already closed, as is the barre studio I went to closer to my apartment (bar method). Pure Barre still seems to be open, so that could be an option, but we'll see how long that lasts. Everyone has reduced class capacities.

The apocalypse is scary, y'all.
Everything is closed down here, and the YMCA is listed as a spot one of the confirmed cases frequented. I'm not able to drop $ for a TM, nor do I have space for it. Small free weights, a resistance band and runs when it is not 37 degrees and rainy are all that is on the horizon in the future.

We are in lockdown here as well. We thought the gym would stay open until yesterday’s announcement of gatherings no larger than 25 people. Will be running outside I guess. Hoping it doesn’t rain too much.

It is. I bought a treadmill last week, and I HATE treadmills. I hope it arrives before my area is locked down. Sucks to drop $1K on something I don’t even like when I’m likely to be furloughed or lose my job this year.
Yeah, this thing is not gonna be good for the airline industry. :(
I hope your treadmill comes soon!

Everything is closed down here, and the YMCA is listed as a spot one of the confirmed cases frequented. I'm not able to drop $ for a TM, nor do I have space for it. Small free weights, a resistance band and runs when it is not 37 degrees and rainy are all that is on the horizon in the future.
Online workouts are going to become all the rage over the next few weeks. Here's hoping we get some good running weather soon!

We are in lockdown here as well. We thought the gym would stay open until yesterday’s announcement of gatherings no larger than 25 people. Will be running outside I guess. Hoping it doesn’t rain too much.

Good running weather cannot come soon enough!

Two quick things, since it's 7am and I want to try to get some work done before I brave the Trader Joe's chaos:

1 - We're living in a very difficult time. Most of us have not lived through anything like this before. If you need a safe space to talk about it, whether that's being stubborn about continuing to live your life (like me), cracking bad jokes (also like me), expressing your fears, or just needing to talk something out, please feel comfortable using this journal as that place. I've always wanted this to be more than just my journey. I want it to be a small spot in our community where everyone feels comfortable. So if you have something to say and you don't know where else to say it, please feel free to say it here!

2 - While I'm practicing (mostly) social distancing, I've decided to take on a wellness streak. Not sure how long it will last, but I'm committing to 20 minutes of self-care every day. Yesterday was a 30-minute online barre class to help me feel a little better about my studio closing. Today I'm starting my morning with 10 minutes of either yoga, meditation, or barre (haven't decided which yet), and then I'll plan to either run or do 30 minutes of barre after work. I also have a yoga/meditation session "at" work today, and (schedule permitting) I will try to join that. Feel free to join me on this self-care focus during this difficult time. Whatever self-care means to you (and I know for many of us it means a run), it's important to commit to self-care when there's so much uncertainty and anxiety around us.

Also ... I think I'm gonna buy a yoga mat.

Two quick things, since it's 7am and I want to try to get some work done before I brave the Trader Joe's chaos:

1 - We're living in a very difficult time. Most of us have not lived through anything like this before. If you need a safe space to talk about it, whether that's being stubborn about continuing to live your life (like me), cracking bad jokes (also like me), expressing your fears, or just needing to talk something out, please feel comfortable using this journal as that place. I've always wanted this to be more than just my journey. I want it to be a small spot in our community where everyone feels comfortable. So if you have something to say and you don't know where else to say it, please feel free to say it here!

2 - While I'm practicing (mostly) social distancing, I've decided to take on a wellness streak. Not sure how long it will last, but I'm committing to 20 minutes of self-care every day. Yesterday was a 30-minute online barre class to help me feel a little better about my studio closing. Today I'm starting my morning with 10 minutes of either yoga, meditation, or barre (haven't decided which yet), and then I'll plan to either run or do 30 minutes of barre after work. I also have a yoga/meditation session "at" work today, and (schedule permitting) I will try to join that. Feel free to join me on this self-care focus during this difficult time. Whatever self-care means to you (and I know for many of us it means a run), it's important to commit to self-care when there's so much uncertainty and anxiety around us.

Also ... I think I'm gonna buy a yoga mat.

If you can, spend the money to buy a good one. Gaia, Manduka, and others are pricey but well worth it in comfort and longevity. Plus, you won't slip as much on them with sweat hands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter