Light and noise considerations: restaurants for adult son with autism

STAY OUT OF T-REX its loud and the lighting is horrible it gives me issues.
I was completely unnerved and couldn't finish my meal at T Rex it was so loud and crazy with the asteroid hitting and killing all of the dinosaurs. Marrakesh is another I can't handle. Food is great but the music sears through my brain!

It's not open at the moment--and I suspect won't be by January, at least not it's pre-COVID format with characters--but I'd also add Tusker House (Animal Kingdom) to the avoid list. The parade with kids shaking bells and other noisemakers is quite the sound!

The Wave is dimly lit and generally quiet. The food is excellent!
Ohhh—this would be a nice break from MK as well. Or an ending to MK. Thanks for this idea! (I’ve heard the food is really good as well.)

Story Book at Artist’s Point is a fun meal, but we found it to be crowded, hectic, and the meeting style (meeting the Evil Queen in a busy area in the middle of the restaurant + waiting in line for that as guests and servers weaved through) was not ideal for my brother with sensory issues. He made it through, but I could tell he wasn’t *really* enjoying himself.

I know it’s been recommended by a number of precious posters, but I couldn’t recommend Garden Grill more. Super relaxing and you feel very isolated/protected due to the setup of the tables.

For QS, quiet seating can be a bit more hit/miss. The one that jumps to mind is the upstairs at Pinocchio’s in MK (if the upstairs is open - it isn’t always).There are only a few tables and it’s much quieter.

The noisiest ones we have experienced are T-Rex, Rain Forest, Via Napoli (love their pizza if we can sit outside!), San Angel Inn, and Be Our Guest.

BOG, San Angel, and Via Napoli are loud because of the echo. Rex and Rain are loud because they are non stop noise effects. lol

That being said, our sensitive to light changes and loud noises AU kiddo has always handled those places like a champ. He would just usually leave his ear protection on for the full meal. One thing we also did was when we checked in, we explained that we needed a seat against a wall or window...and were willing to wait. Someplace that felt sheltered. Being the the middle of a room or traffic area with the echo and noise seems to make it worse sensory wise. And we love the small enclosed dining area upstairs at Yak & Yeti. Our son LOVES Sci Fi and always has. It's dark and cool, and the noise is chatter but not a big echo. He always has been a fan of the large screen and it's a great distraction. He's 13 now and rarely uses his ear protection. Even he says that going to Disney so much all his life has been a great way to train his brain to handle the noise. He's developing other strategies to handle it, so it's been a great tool.

Hope you have a great time!

My DD has become more sensitive to sound as an adult. She wears foam earplugs much of the day but also has a pair of over the ear headphones ( sound proofing, not for music) that she carries and uses as needed. However even that was not enough for evenings in Disney Springs, it was very busy with lights, music and people that led her to her biggest breakdown of the trip as we tried to get to the bus area and return to the hotel.

I am sensitive to loud noises, here are the restaurants where I have to breakout my earplugs or avoid all together (not sure which will be open for your trip):

- Biergarten
- Be our guest
- Any character meals- there's usually an announcement played about joining a parade, napkins twirling, etc. I know the full experience character meals aren't running now but who knows what they'll decide in a few months
- Sci-Fi
- Whispering Canyon
- T-Rex
- Rainforest Cafe
- While Garden Grill isn't loud, The Land concourse you have to go through to get to the restaurant is very loud and a bit disorienting to me.

Some of the noisy ones to avoid IMO would be RF Cafe, T Rex, Raglan Road, Sci Fi and Biergarten. They are all very noisy IME.

Some of the quieter options tend to be the resort restaurants. But I also try to eat at slightly off peak times which may or may not be an option for you to consider. The Wave, Ale & Compass and Kona Cafe are all good options.

I agree with everyone who suggested Garden Grill! It is the quietest, least chaotic character meal. The setup of the booths make it feel like you are doing private dining.

I would avoid Chef Mickey or Contempo Cafe (QS). It is so loud in that area, and there's the noise from the monorails coming through too.

We really enjoyed our experience at Grand Floridian Cafe. Food is so delicious, it is not very loud, the lighting is not bothersome at all. So different than 1900 PF right next door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!