Lion King Trailer

I'm stoked that James Earl Jones is back but I'm kinda bummed Jeremy Irons isn't in the film. I think Chiwetel Ejiofor is a great actor, and he'll probably do a fantastic job....but its just not the same.

Risk. Look at Nutcracker. It was an original take on the story and it’s bombing.

Ryan, I get what you are saying about risk but I think the argument could be made that it is more risky to remake a classic because people love these movies so much and some things just shouldn't be touched. I have yet to see any of these live action remakes. It feels like Disney is just being lazy to be honest. They are taking stories that are already done and just tweaking them so they can resell the name and merch. A lot of people that didn't like "Solo" said it was because of the actor playing Han. They couldn't see anyone else playing Han but Harrison Ford. Well, Lion King, Mary Poppins, and other classics are just as hard to duplicate IMO.

I'm not saying it's bad. I'm not saying the movie will be a flop. I just think they have been doing such a good job with new movies and original stories lately why not keep doing those. If they want to do Lion King do an animated sequel. Simla would now be old enough to have his own son and grandson for that matter. Bring Lion King back to life that way.

Ryan, I get what you are saying about risk but I think the argument could be made that it is more risky to remake a classic because people love these movies so much and some things just shouldn't be touched. I have yet to see any of these live action remakes. It feels like Disney is just being lazy to be honest. They are taking stories that are already done and just tweaking them so they can resell the name and merch. A lot of people that didn't like "Solo" said it was because of the actor playing Han. They couldn't see anyone else playing Han but Harrison Ford. Well, Lion King, Mary Poppins, and other classics are just as hard to duplicate IMO.

I'm not saying it's bad. I'm not saying the movie will be a flop. I just think they have been doing such a good job with new movies and original stories lately why not keep doing those. If they want to do Lion King do an animated sequel. Simla would now be old enough to have his own son and grandson for that matter. Bring Lion King back to life that way.
Well sure anything has risk but look at how much these remakes are making. That’s why they keep doing them as they make more than their originals these days.

What examples do you have of originals that have been successes lately? Coco is really the only one that comes to mind and that was Pixar.

Lion King already has two animated sequels/prequels. It also has an animated show on Disney Junior about Simba’s son and his friends.

Well sure anything has risk but look at how much these remakes are making. That’s why they keep doing them as they make more than their originals these days.

What examples do you have of originals that have been successes lately? Coco is really the only one that comes to mind and that was Pixar.

Lion King already has two animated sequels/prequels. It also has an animated show on Disney Junior about Simba’s son and his friends.

Coco- $419M
Big Hero6- about $470M
Brave- about $512M
Moana- about $502M
Zootopia- over $700M
Inside Out- about $750M
Frozen- almost $900M (I actually thought it was over 1B but this website says no)

Those are just the original stories in the last 5 years, I didn't want to go back too far. I am not saying the remakes aren't making money, they are. I just think it is lazy of Disney and I like when new characters are added to the parks.

I also didn't include Star Wars or Marvel in there as those are all making big money. But Disney has been mostly killing the movies for the last 5 years in all their companies, let's make more originals IMO.

Coco- $419M
Big Hero6- about $470M
Brave- about $512M
Moana- about $502M
Zootopia- over $700M
Inside Out- about $750M
Frozen- almost $900M (I actually thought it was over 1B but this website says no)

Those are just the original stories in the last 5 years, I didn't want to go back too far. I am not saying the remakes aren't making money, they are. I just think it is lazy of Disney and I like when new characters are added to the parks.

I also didn't include Star Wars or Marvel in there as those are all making big money. But Disney has been mostly killing the movies for the last 5 years in all their companies, let's make more originals IMO.
Three of those are Pixar which are typical gangbusters. I think you also need to look at original films that bombed because I’m sure there are just as many of those if not more that have. I can’t think of a remake/sequel in the last 5 years from Disney that bombed. Maybe Monsters U but that was a prequel.

I don’t disagree with you either I just think Disney is doing it because the remakes/sequels are doing so well.

Three of those are Pixar which are typical gangbusters. I think you also need to look at original films that bombed because I’m sure there are just as many of those if not more that have. I can’t think of a remake/sequel in the last 5 years from Disney that bombed. Maybe Monsters U but that was a prequel.

I don’t disagree with you either I just think Disney is doing it because the remakes/sequels are doing so well.

I think we are on the same page. I agree they are doing the remakes because it is easy money for them. I am clearly one of the few that does t care to see these remakes, although I am VERY curious how Mary Poppins turns out considering the importance of the original to Disney history. I just wish they would do new stories, that's all.

2016 - Pete's Dragon (remake of animated to live action) - barely 2x production budget WW ($143M WW on $65M production budget) - not a money maker, although not a money bomb...

2016 - Pete's Dragon (remake of animated to live action) - barely 2x production budget WW ($143M WW on $65M production budget) - not a money maker, although not a money bomb...
And I liked that one.

Not as many losses in the remake/sequel area as there is on the original area right now.

True but the original Pete's Dragon was not a movie that had the staying power of Cinderella or BatB. Dumbo might be the real test on if a lesser movie can make although kids at least know the character from the ride. Pete's Dragon only had the MSEP float for a presence in the parks.

I'm digging some of the really old animation remakes, say from Jungle Book era back. I *think* I'll like Mary Poppins.(Or will I sit there wandering when Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke will pop out). I don't see me going to see any remakes from the Disney Renaissance forward. Watching the trailer I'm seeing the same scenes from the original. Why wouldn't I just watch the animated version. If I can catch it free somewhere I'll watch it of course. On a side note, I'm also completely over tent pole super hero movies. I am super hero'd out.

I'm digging some of the really old animation remakes, say from Jungle Book era back. I *think* I'll like Mary Poppins.(Or will I sit there wandering when Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke will pop out). I don't see me going to see any remakes from the Disney Renaissance forward. Watching the trailer I'm seeing the same scenes from the original. Why wouldn't I just watch the animated version. If I can catch it free somewhere I'll watch it of course. On a side note, I'm also completely over tent pole super hero movies. I am super hero'd out.

The remakes so far have run 45 minutes to an hour longer than their animated counter parts. That allows they to go deep into the story telling. Of course the basic storyline is still going to be there. The Pride Rock reveal is the iconic scene from the movie so of course they are going to have that scene almost shot for shot. Leaving that out is like leaving the ballroom dance in BatB or the Midnight dash in Cinderella out.

Went to the movies tonight and the first trailer was for Dumbo the next trailer was for Aladdin, seems like way too much too quick. Lion King, Aladdin, and Dumbo all in six months. Dumbo was my favorite as a kid and I'm interested to see Tim Burton's take on it, not really interested at all in seeing Lion King or Aladdin. Which I am not the most crazed Disney movie fan out there, but seriously how many people will go to all three of those within ~3 month span?

Dumbo might be the real test on if a lesser movie can make although kids at least know the character from the ride.

Get out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter