Liquor tastings price increase as of 10/1

lilsonicfan

DIS Veteran
Hi all, saw this elsewhere, was confirmed in an email from Alma (the DCL Functions Request person) that tastings are going up in price as of 10/1:

New prices
Champagne 38.00 PP (was 35.00)
Martini 25.00 PP (was 20.00)
Beer 23.00 PP (was 20.00)
Mixology 25.00 PP (was 20.00)
Mojito 23.00 PP (was 20.00)
Tequila/Margarita 23.00 PP (was 20.00)
Cognac 28.00 PP (was 25.00)
Whiskey 28.00 PP (was 25.00)
Wine 25.00 PP (was 20.00)
Chocolate & Liquor 37.00 PP (was 35.00)
Bourbon 28.00 (was 25.00)
Rum 23.00 (was 20.00)
Premium open bar 15.24 PP (was 13.25)
Signature open bar no updated price yet (was 18.50)

My 10/6 sailing still shows the old prices. Do you know if they are just rolling this into new sailings or will all be affected?

Doesn't matter, I'm still going! Just curious when we will see the change.

Thanks!

At least the price increases look pretty fair. I have to say, having just got off the Fantasy on Saturday, that after doing several tastings we felt we more than got our money's worth on them. (well, not me for the bourbon tasting.... I hate bourbon. :crazy2: Just went along to be a good DW) ::yes::

My 10/6 sailing still shows the old prices. Do you know if they are just rolling this into new sailings or will all be affected?

Doesn't matter, I'm still going! Just curious when we will see the change.

Thanks!
GENERALLY, with price increases, DCL will grandfather anyone who's already booked activities. Any new reservations made after the start date of new prices will incur the new cost.

Again, I say, GENERALLY, that means it may or may not happen that way with this.

I would also assume that if you have booked at the old price, they will honour that - however it sounds like the lady was trying to book a private open bar, and DCL said she would be charged the new price, even though right now it isn't 10/1. So, I guess the answer is - I don't know :)

PS, I posted this for information, not b/c I didn't think the increase is worth it!

I would also assume that if you have booked at the old price, they will honour that - however it sounds like the lady was trying to book a private open bar, and DCL said she would be charged the new price, even though right now it isn't 10/1. So, I guess the answer is - I don't know :)

PS, I posted this for information, not b/c I didn't think the increase is worth it!
Well, maybe they grandfather the people who already have stuff booked, but any new bookings will have the new price, if the cruise is after Oct 1.

Well, maybe they grandfather the people who already have stuff booked, but any new bookings will have the new price, if the cruise is after Oct 1.

Agreed, that certainly would make the most sense, though I could see a tinge of unfairness there too (e.g. I booked mixology yesterday, but today while still in Sept, it's $25). But anyway, I guess we'll see how it plays out.

For what we have had in the multiple tastings we’ve done these increases are more than fair. We figured when we went to the Chocolate and Liqueur tasting last year, that the last glass of scotch they gave us was equal to the full price of the tasting, based on the cost of it in the bar.

I still think the liquor tastings are a bargain - even with the increases. They certainly aren't stingy when it comes to the pours, and the experience itself is worth it. They are just tons of fun! I honestly haven't paid that close attention to what these have cost over the years, but I don't recall anyone mentioning a price increase in a very long time (could be wrong about that though). It's inevitable that the price will go up over time.

Hopefully this means that they're going back to full sized cocktails in the Mixology class!

If we hadn't been selected to have the opportunity to make our own full-sized version of one of the cocktails during the class, we would have left very disappointed. And as not everyone was selected to make their own full-sized version of one of the cocktails, I'm guessing that some attendees would have left disappointed.

Hopefully this means that they're going back to full sized cocktails in the Mixology class!

If we hadn't been selected to have the opportunity to make our own full-sized version of one of the cocktails during the class, we would have left very disappointed. And as not everyone was selected to make their own full-sized version of one of the cocktails, I'm guessing that some attendees would have left disappointed.
I've only done 2 mixology classes, but both of them had full size drinks.

I entirely took your post as informative, not as a complaint, lilsonicfan! :thanks: I just got off the Fantasy 4 days ago and had not heard this, so thanks!

We did mixology last week on either Wed. or Thurs. I think and the glasses were all quite large IMO. :cutie:

From what I have heard, Mixology on the Magic/Wonder is very different than on the Fantasy/Dream. On the Fantasy which is where I was, the drinks were all full-size, and everyone got an opportunity to participate. It was held in the Meridian bar. The bar itself is large so several people could easily fit behind the bar. We had 5 drinks.

But I have seen Mixology pics from the Magic where most of the drinks are pre-made, and appear to be smaller.

From what I have heard, Mixology on the Magic/Wonder is very different than on the Fantasy/Dream. On the Fantasy which is where I was, the drinks were all full-size, and everyone got an opportunity to participate. It was held in the Meridian bar. The bar itself is large so several people could easily fit behind the bar. We had 5 drinks.

But I have seen Mixology pics from the Magic where most of the drinks are pre-made, and appear to be smaller.

Interesting! I haven't been on the Wonder since Hawaii 2015 (3 yrs ago this month) but I know for that mixology we were in Cadillac Lounge. They chose a couple of people to come behind the bar and "help" mix. I couldn't swear to it as it's been a while but my memory on that particular cruise was that the glasses were normal sized. Could be wrong... :cutie:

On the Fantasy last week, our Mixology was in Skyline Bar for a pretty good sized group but everyone that wanted to had a chance to get behind the bar and complete the mixing. It was a fun group after things got going. Our champagne tasting and the next day's chocolate and liquor tastings were both led by the sommelier from Palo, Robert from Romania, and were in Ooh La La. Robert was EXCELLENT, as were both of these tastings! Our bourbon tasting :crazy2: was in Meridian. Did that class for DH, and forced myself to take a sip of each. I thought they were very nice for lighter fluid. :rotfl2:

Re: people who have already booked.

When they raised the price of Palo brunch a few years ago, if you were already booked before the announcement, you got the old price. But if you changed your reservation after the new pricing took effect, you paid the new price.

We were on the Wonder (in 2016) when we got the pre-made, small / half size cocktails. We had booked to do the Mixology class again on the Magic this year, but feared that it would be the same and ended up cancelling.

The Mixology class that we did in 2012 on the Dream was much better - everyone could participate and the drinks were all full sized.

One of things I was told that on the Magic and Wonder you need to go through crew member areas to got behind the bar. That was why the drinks were made by the bartender

Just did mixology on the Wonder a couple days ago. Of the drinks that were pre-made, they pretty much filled the glasses so they are as full as the glass allows. Don't know if they use smaller glasses for the drinks, but it was plenty for the $20 price. The drinks you make yourself by adding a component to the pre-poured base can be as full as you want...

Just did mixology on the Wonder a couple days ago. Of the drinks that were pre-made, they pretty much filled the glasses so they are as full as the glass allows. Don't know if they use smaller glasses for the drinks, but it was plenty for the $20 price. The drinks you make yourself by adding a component to the pre-poured base can be as full as you want...

Interesting. They must keep changing it up. When we did it on the Wonder, the glasses were basically miniature or half-size versions of "real" cocktail glasses. Like what you'd see in a child's playset (not that you'd probably be buying a cocktail making playset for a child of course).

And if you were selected to make a drink, you got to make the entire thing, from scratch (i.e. in the shaker, etc) in a full-sized cocktail glass. They didn't pre-prepare any part of it for the "make your own" part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter