Live from Enchanted China

Thanks abdmom.
I was wondering about all of that free time in Shanghai even before you reported!. Are the guides giving people ideas to do with those 3 days? Why are you having to leave the Hilton so early? Does that give you more time in Disneyland?
Is it better to use umbrellas, raincoats, or ponchos? I hope it has dried out for you in HK.
Which city have you enjoyed the most?

They amended the time the bags had to be outside out door to to later: 5:15 a.m. We had to be on the bus at 6 a.m. The Hilton opened the breakfast buffet early for us. It was a very long day on Wednesday.

Hong Kong Disneyland is fantastic. A very small park, but very uncrowded, at least at the time we were there. It closes at 8 p.m. By the time we got to the hotel and had a short orientation, it was 3 pm. We also had a full tour day the next day. If we had left Shanghai later, we wouldn't have had any time at the park. We all felt that the 5 hours at the park the first day and a couple of hours that we managed to squeeze in the next day were not enough to "do" the park. In addition, there is much to see in Hong Kong. We really would have liked AT LEAST one or two additional days of tour in Hong Kong. As it is, we are spending 3 extra days here and I fear that we still won't be able to get enough Disneyland in.

Yes, the Hilton was damp. Things that we take for granted, like air condiitoning, are not always a given in China. The drivers are a little crazy too. They don't follow the same driving conventions that we do. I would not want to drive there.

The Hong Kong Disneyland hotel is very well appointed. It's had the best air conditioning of any hotel that we have had so far. The airport had been shut down for some time the week before we arrived, but we did not see any effects of the flooding, except for very green foliage everywhere. It is extremely humid and warm here.

Just some random summary thoughts. If I had to do it again, I might consider a double and a single booking instead of a triple. It has been quite crowded in the rooms with all our luggage. Right now dd and ds are sharing a bed - not the best arrangement. The guides, Fred and Dusty, were FANTASTIC. The planning for the trip was superb. I would have preferred to cut out Shanghai completely - I found it very smoggy and there wasn't much to interest us - and add more days in Hong Kong. Even though we had 2 extra days in Beijing, that was about right for us with a total of 5 tour days there. Three would not have been enough. We flew economy over here - we're flying business class back. Business class upgrades were not available when we booked. People who did fly business class had much fewer problems with jet lag than we did. If you can, try to get an upgrade. The kids have loved the tour, their guides and the other travelers. I have to get them up for breakfast now and I expect some tears after they see their fellow travelers for the last time.

abdmom

Good to hear from you again abdmom! Thanks for all of your info :worship:
It sounds like you had a great trip. I am glad you think HK Disneyland is worth while even though it is small. It is nice to end the trip with a nice park and good hotel. We are packing right now and leave tomorrow to follow your steps:goodvibes Hope you have a great flight home.

Hi Abdmom,

Thanks for taking the time to blog during the trip. I really enjoyed your reports and found them very informative and useful for our trip in Sept.

Have a great post-ABD time in Hong Kong visiting with the family. I'm sure you guys will have a great time in Hawaii too. ::yes::

I’m going to miss your reports abdmom. It sounds like you had a great trip. I didn’t think it was possible, but now I’m even more excited about my trip. Have fun on the rest of your holiday and have a safe trip home.

Traveling Tinkerbell, have a terrific time. I hope that you post either during or after the trip so that we can hear about your adventures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter