London, Thanks America

strider

Travel Addict
I read with interest that the American military have banned their personnel and advised their families and civilian employees from London due to events last week (which will now hit tourism badly). I would like to point out that: 1) The British continued to support America and did not stop travelling after 9/11 and 2) More Americans are murdered at home by their own people EVERY DAY than were killed in London last week, thus making the UK a MUCH safer place to be. So thank you America, I wont be coming again as I CANNOT abide cowards!

There is nothing that states ALL Americans have been banned from London.
It was stated that tourists (non-military) were ADVISED to show caution when visiting London. How is that stopping traveling? Just as I am sure the British community was ADVISED to show caution when visiting NYC right after 9/11. Get the facts straight. Until you understand, please don't comment. Unfortunate that you don't even realize there are AMERICAN MILITARY people living right there in LONDON! :sad2:

I have just read that the American ban on London is lifted so I will take back my words if you will let me. I hope there will not be too much damage to tourism.

Can I just say that "Coward" is a very harsh word.

I dont appreciate that.

I know you said you were wrong about the " ban" ( which was never a Ban but a warning anyway) but you said nothing of calling us Cowards. :(

A coward is one who makes exaggerated false claims and then hides behind a psudo-apology.

Fair comment Binny, I should have made it clear I meant the whole post. Thee BBC reported it as a ‘total military personnel ban’ though. Fair cop, I may have overreacted, but I have my reasons. Perhaps I should be grateful that I could say it openly (well, almost) in the first place. Minky, not psudo, we only received news that the order had been rescinded earlier today.

Good on you Charles. Hey, I LOVED Canada when I visited a few years back as a ‘singly’ (Calgary, Banf(sp) to name a couple of places) with my job, I was made to feel really welcome. Can’t wait to come back with my family.

Glad to hear that this was a misunderstanding. I would love to visit London someday. I hope things are starting to get back to "normal." I wish all of you my best!!

If I were traveling outside of the US, I would worry about the safety of others! Being an American, I realize that there is a screaming target on my back....not just in hostile countries but also in countries we consider friendly! If Americans gather at any one place, that place and any one near there can be at risk, not just the Americans. I can see the logic of asking Americans to stay away from a hot spot to let things cool down for awhile.

Strider, your original post was written with anger and outrage and I can understand your thought process when you first put it up there. Don't worry about it. Apology accepted thought I don't think it was necessary to begin with.

Hope your family and friends are well after all that happened last week.

Strider Banf and Calgary are very beautiful areas I love skiing in Banf and can't wait to go back there when the kids get older and can ski there with us.

I'm making my travel plans to London as we speak. ;) I'm also planning a trip to NYC.

While I can certainly understand the OP's anger at the original travel ban for military members, we should remember that the military looks at things differently. Commanders aren't primarily concerned with local economics or showing a united front for the media. They are concerned with the protection of resources, i.e., military members. It isn't much of a stretch to conclude that military members could be prime targets for a jihadist bent on getting his quota of virgins, so I can see where the original ban would have been considered a force protection move.

Believe it or not, I was saddened when the military asked us not to visit London. I attended a huge air show at the base outside of London some years ago. I'll have to say that the ride through those little towns on a double decker bus made me feel like Harry Potter on his double decker bus ride! "Hold on...its gonna be a bummmmmmppy ride!"

As a military wife, I am completely aware and in awe of the fact that the British people have stood next to us when other countries bailed (cough FRANCE cough). And we will always stand by the British people through threats to their land.

We don't want to stay away, but sometimes our being near you causes you pain. We don't want to add insult to injury, especially in this terrible time for the people of London.

Trust me...we'll be back there as soon as we can for another double decker bus ride!

We also have to remember that the military is held to a different standard than civillians. The American Government never said that all American's were not allowed to go to London... It was the military personel being "banned". That actually happens a Lot...whether it's a base telling their people not to go to a certain club, a certain area...or a cituation like what happened in London. It wasn't because they didn't want to help...but, like has been said, was probably more of "keep the American faces out of the way so that those who are trying to hurt people don't get riled up". I'm in Kuwait right now and when people ask us where we are from...most everyone chooses somewhere besides America. France, England, Germany, etc. Not because we aren't proud of our country...but it's just safer to "not" be an American in certain places at certain times.

Having survived America's 9/11, I do feel your pain, frustration, and emotions running high. DH and I had our Europe retirement trip planned when 9/11 disaster hit the USA. It did not deter us from visiting and touring your wonderful London 2 wks later. Godspeed and peace my friend ^i^.

BuckNaked said:
While I can certainly understand the OP's anger at the original travel ban for military members, we should remember that the military looks at things differently. Commanders aren't primarily concerned with local economics or showing a united front for the media. They are concerned with the protection of resources, i.e., military members. It isn't much of a stretch to conclude that military members could be prime targets for a jihadist bent on getting his quota of virgins, so I can see where the original ban would have been considered a force protection move.

As someone who sold travel to well heeled tourists for many years I can assure everyone that when the military bans their ranks from travelling to a specific destination, American tourists pay attention. This should not come as a suprise to our military. You're kidding about the "virgins", right? Americans are very conservative with their travel plans, the slightest bump can make them skiddish. Ask anyone who owns a travel agency.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter