Long-term speculation: would Disney pick up and leave SoCal?

You can do Disney with a coat on. Warm weather all year round is not a requirement :P It will never happen, but if in the hypothetical world where you could relocate a themepark, you have to look at the amount of rain and if it's warm or cold rain. That in combination with wind has more impact than temperature or the occasional snow (which just adds a layer of extra charm :) )

I've just returned from Disneyland Paris and we actually discussed that one of the downsides of California and Florida is that you don't have the changing of the seasons like we have in Paris or in Tokyo.

If you could and want to relocate a themepark, I would look at places where the mentality is liberal and open-minded. Also, I would add near a large city, easy to reach by plane (good infrastructure), preferably centrally located. And a large piece of flat land, this was one of the requirements when they searched a location in Europe.

The only way I would see it happening if an earthquake destroys Disneyland beyond repair.

View attachment 531795
Just want to let you know how much I love your photos! (And how envious I am, too!) Stitch, the Villains... they're all great! So glad that you had a good time. :)

Total abandonment? Probably not. Refocus of funds? Possibly. I think one of the reasons DL has expanded is because of local tax credits/promises not to tax. The density of Southern California is legion, where else do you get this many people with high disposable incomes in one place? Silicon Valley, maybe... (you’re still in California, lol).

If things get unfavorable (state treatment being one of them), money would go elsewhere...but there’s a lot of pieces to fall before that happens.

I’m also thinking of Disney‘s America theme park (in Pennsylvania?), and I agree, Disney in the snow/cold is still quite fun!

The Parks/Hotels - No. However the home office, movie division, etc, etc, - Yes. Heck, here in GA we are back to filming like crazy, and Disney has a stake in a lot of it here (Pinewood Studios). I see in the next few short years most of Disney operations moving to FL and GA. DLR will be the lone survivor in CA, trying to keep the lights on.

Great conversation! Now let me really stir the pot: what do they do about expansion with the very limited space they have in SoCal?

No way. Just imagine all the hoops they would have to jump through in any state. The environmentalists would keep things in limbo for years.

Scrapping Disneyland in Anaheim and setting up shop in another state is too cost-prohibitive of a venture for the Disney corporation to consider at this time. Then when you throw in the history of how it's Walt's original park, that's pretty much never going to happen.

Great conversation! Now let me really stir the pot: what do they do about expansion with the very limited space they have in SoCal?

Probably not much other than continue to take office and backstage space (how much is even left...?) like they've done with Galaxy's Edge and Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway. They have the Toy Story lot but they'd have to replace the parking somewhere and connect that property to the contiguous existing resort via transportation. They have land behind Harbor Blvd and could expand into current shuttle/bus drop off if that can be moved behind Harbor, but Anaheim already shut that down. I'd imagine Anaheim, and more importantly its residents, are warming up to the importance of Disneyland. The other potential option, which sounds awful to even discuss, is if Disney is able to buy up more land around the Resort if the pandemic causes devastating economic impact to surrounding businesses.

That's funny to think about, but there is no way Disneyland will leave California. The logistical nightmare of that would be unprofitable. It could never be the same park, plus I don't think that they could replicate the demographics in a different area. It's called the "locals park" for a reason, they have such a huge base of APs and daytime visitors.

If Disneyland ever closes, they'll have lost their real bit of magic and that's Walt's Park, so I'll have to say no.

I hate to bring up a really negative aspect of this, but Disney has LONG sought to expand its footprint right where it is, and having those other "cheap" motels and businesses wrapped around it is what has kept it from doing so. Disney is certainly doing everything they can to fight the shutdown, but if a few low-budget motels failed in the near vicinity, that would not be a bad thing - for Disney that is.

In the near term though, and I think we are already seeing this, Disney is going to have to entrench - cut costs, cut expenditures, and dig in for the long haul. It really irritates me when pundits and politicians denigrate Disney for cutting staff. Yeah, Disney has deep pockets, so what? They are also taking it in the shorts like noone else right now. From ABC/FOX/ESPN to the movie business, to the theme parks, the loses right now are staggering. It is the State, and not Disney's fault that people are being laid off. You can't continue paying everyone forever when you have no money coming in, especially when, and I know I'm going to get some hate for this, a good percentage of those people are in transitory positions anyway (i.e. they weren't going to stick around more than a couple of years anyway). Ugly tears for the likes of the obvious exceptions to this of course - but - there is a good chance Disney will need them back when this is all over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter